May have to sell the best RV we have ever owned

We just returned from a fabulous week at the fort. This was the first trip we took pulling ou RV with the new truck we bought. My trusty 08 4x4 tundra hit 100k and almost 6 years and I thought it was time for a new truck. Since our TT weighs almost 9500 pounds I really wanted a 3/4 ton GM truck with preferably a diesel. But unfortunately the 2500 series I wanted was wayyyyyyyyy out of our price range. So we ended up wih a beautiful GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab 4x4. The truck has the right rear end to give it a 10500 tow capacity. Low and behold it was a bear to tow just from outside Tampa to the fort. I'm hoping if I keep tweaking with the weight distribution I may make it better. Due to the weight factor we are kind of limited to shorter trips. Now we may be considering downsizing. I really hate to since this TT was everything we wanted. We are still thinking about it but if anyone may be interested here is the link

http://rubiconhaulers.com/floorplan/2900

We paid almost $40k for this about 10 months ago. It has every option and a bunch of upgrades. Send me a pm for more info

That trailers hitch weight is alot for a half ton at almost 1400 pounds. It only leaves you a couple hundred pounds for passengers. The specs for that trailer are very close to mine. We actually looked at that camper at the RV show it is a nice camper. It's a high profile camper like ours that catches a lot of air(bad for handling and power). We had a 05 ford f350 diesel and it just never had enough power to pull it. It would hold the weight just didn't pull it good(not enough power). We went back and forth about getting rid of the camper and going smaller but we like our camper. So we bought a new ford diesel and that fixed the problem for us. We delt with this issue for 3 years before we bought the new truck. I know my post doesn't help you but I do know how you feel. Hope you can make it work. Just wondering how did the Toyota do with this camper? If you have enough power and it's more of a suspension problem you might want to look at add a leafs.

That trailers hitch weight is alot for a half ton at almost 1400 pounds. It only leaves you a couple hundred pounds for passengers. The specs for that trailer are very close to mine. We actually looked at that camper at the RV show it is a nice camper. It's a high profile camper like ours that catches a lot of air(bad for handling and power). We had a 05 ford f350 diesel and it just never had enough power to pull it. It would hold the weight just didn't pull it good(not enough power). We went back and forth about getting rid of the camper and going smaller but we like our camper. So we bought a new ford diesel and that fixed the problem for us. We delt with this issue for 3 years before we bought the new truck. I know my post doesn't help you but I do know how you feel. Hope you can make it work. Just wondering how did the Toyota do with this camper? If you have enough power and it's more of a suspension problem you might want to look at add a leafs.

Actually the Toyota did a great job. We pulled it to Tenn. and back last year with no issues. I thought towing on flat land for less than 100 miles would not be a problem since the Toyota did the job. Getting a new truck is not an option since we have only had this one for 2 months and to be honestly i can't justify a large diesel for 4 trips a year. I am going to upgrade my hitch to a 1500# system vs the 1200 I have and see what happens. If not we will ave to find something we like that is lighter

That's a lot of camper for any half ton truck. Have you considered a slightly older 3/4 ton?

No different truck. The truck is more important to me than the RV since I use the truck 365 days a year and th camper only 4 trips a year. I need to see what the trade in value is for the RV. I expect to loose my shirt but can't afford to loose my pants also. If I can good a good trade in price or find a buyer I think that will be the route

Couple of suggestions.  Don't know where the four trips are, but perhaps if the camper could be stored closer to the destinations?

Figure out what the loss would be on the camper when you sell it, add it to the value of your current truck.  Does that put you in the price range of the truck you need?   

Maybe a Hensley Arrow and some E rates tires would be cheaper then taking a hit on the camper?

That arrow hitch is pretty slick. Must be an arm and a leg...lol

Well after many different scenarios I believe I have the issue solved. Low and behold when I took the TT back to storage last week I was backing it in at a 25 degree angle and snapped the left side of the dual cam arm that holds the torsion bar. This is the second time within 6 months this has happened. When I went to the trailer store close to me the guys Said they have seen this a few times. I told him my left side has always been harder to latch up compare to the right side. He Said it could be many variables. Since I bought this hitch used and pieced it back together every time something broke. I am just going to get a new hitch set up. The trailer guys swear by the husky centerline distribution hitch so I am going with it. Review say the hitch is awesome but the only thing people complained about was that it has to be hitched up properly and straight. Many have said if you do not latch the bar up right, it can come back at you and really hurt you. I should have it installed this Friday so I hope this will solve my weight distribution issues and sway issues. The truck has always had the power. I think it was the hitch not right which caused all the issues. Anyone else have a centerline hitch?

Well after many different scenarios I believe I have the issue solved. Low and behold when I took the TT back to storage last week I was backing it in at a 25 degree angle and snapped the left side of the dual cam arm that holds the torsion bar. This is the second time within 6 months this has happened. When I went to the trailer store close to me the guys Said they have seen this a few times. I told him my left side has always been harder to latch up compare to the right side. He Said it could be many variables. Since I bought this hitch used and pieced it back together every time something broke. I am just going to get a new hitch set up. The trailer guys swear by the husky centerline distribution hitch so I am going with it. Review say the hitch is awesome but the only thing people complained about was that it has to be hitched up properly and straight. Many have said if you do not latch the bar up right, it can come back at you and really hurt you. I should have it installed this Friday so I hope this will solve my weight distribution issues and sway issues. The truck has always had the power. I think it was the hitch not right which caused all the issues. Anyone else have a centerline hitch?

Glad you figured it out hope it works for you. Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got the hitch installed on Friday. Still not doing it. I think the hitch needs to be dialed in and I may have to get a longer shank due to the lift on my truck. I am so over this. I had no problems towing our TT with my old tundra. If the new shank does not work along with tweaking it, adding a leaf spring or two will be my next and final option. If that does not work I will have to find a dealer with a lightweight unit that will work for us and a dealer that will give me a decent price on trade. I am sooooooo over this BS

This frustration has got to be wearing on you.  I am so sorry that you are dealing with this.  I wish I could help, but my job is to load up the camper and unload the camper.  I don't handle the towing of the camper.

Well, I got the hitch installed on Friday. Still not doing it. I think the hitch needs to be dialed in and I may have to get a longer shank due to the lift on my truck. I am so over this. I had no problems towing our TT with my old tundra. If the new shank does not work along with tweaking it, adding a leaf spring or two will be my next and final option. If that does not work I will have to find a dealer with a lightweight unit that will work for us and a dealer that will give me a decent price on trade. I am sooooooo over this BS

Sorry it's still not working. Hope you get it worked out

This frustration has got to be wearing on you.  I am so sorry that you are dealing with this.  I wish I could help, but my job is to load up the camper and unload the camper.  I don't handle the towing of the camper.

You should drive the camper to my DW helps drive when I'm to tired.

It's not the camper, it's the truck.  Hubby says no way to letting me drive the truck at all.  And to be fair, I've had at least 2 mailboxes jump out at me before.  Behind me, those sneaky boxes.

WE are adding air bags to our Tundra this week.  I here that will increase handling, etc.  We have a Outback 30 ft bunkhouse, so big tt.  We can't justify spending the money on a new/used truck right now.  We want diesel, but not the payment.  So we are going to twick what we have.

Good luck with the air bags, I spent $500 on mine and with max pressure at 90psi they barely help. My tongue weight is 1000 pounds and now it seems I have a small leak on the left side that the trailer guys can't find

Us guys can be protective of our new trucks.

It's not the camper, it's the truck.  Hubby says no way to letting me drive the truck at all.  And to be fair, I've had at least 2 mailboxes jump out at me before.  Behind me, those sneaky boxes.