Eat Your Heart Out Marty McFly......AC's 1978-1989 Trip Back in Time (updates that go back to 1975 commenced on 3-12-15 )

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's head to the ole fashioned swimmin hole, shall we?   We start out with a classic Disney relic of the past:       I should stop right here and pick it up later.   Those pics deserve their own up

He's moving even slower than brown paint guy ...

And here we go:                       Do you remember this character experience?     Moving on in Future World:                         Was that a Commodore 64?   How about robot

Had a lot to catch up on. I have a picture of me with my friends in the rainbow tunnel in Epcot. We thought it was so cool.

I also remember those elephant topiaries being in front of Epcot for a time, we have a picture of that somewhere too.

We rode in the front of the monorail a few times, the last time was probably about 2006. And I do remember them closing the doors!

Great Polynesian pics. Were you all staying there? Just wondering since there were pictures of the room.

It's so great you have these great memories from your childhood. How often would you go?

Great Polynesian pics. Were you all staying there? Just wondering since there were pictures of the room.

It's so great you have these great memories from your childhood. How often would you go?

These are our friends picks who we stayed with at WDW a few times.  These are their pics.  Our Poly pics are earlier in this report.

We went every couple years.

I am glad you are reading along and enjoying it!

Wow!  The Poly rooms were certainly LOUD.  Very 70's.  I love them.  

And you know what's interesting to note on the tables in the last pics....the bottles of soy sauce.  You didn't find soy sauce very often in those days, so I bet that seemed downright exotic.  

The map in the room is what makes it for me.  Pretty cool. 

The map in the room is what makes it for me.  Pretty cool. 

That map is cool-  Do you see all of the proposed resorts that they included on it?:

wall%20map_zps6wtrkat4.jpg

Here's a little known fact- there were two times in the 70's when my dad packed us up in the family station wagon, and we visited WDW-staying at the Polynesian Village Resort both times.  I distinctly remember our room having the big map like the one depicted in your photos. 

TCD

I believe the CR rooms had those big maps too, and they were discarded when the resort was refurbished.  The Poly maps likely met the same fate.  

Upon opening in 1971, those 2 resorts had what....maybe 1,500 rooms combined?  

Let that sink in.  

How much would EACH of those maps bring in on eBay today?  

And they were chucked in a dumpster.  

That map is cool-  Do you see all of the proposed resorts that they included on it?:

Here's a little known fact- there were two times in the 70's when my dad packed us up in the family station wagon, and we visited WDW-staying at the Polynesian Village Resort both times.  I distinctly remember our room having the big map like the one depicted in your photos. 

TCD

I think you have one purple crayon error....you are pointing to 4 Future Resorts, but I think there were only 3 planned.  You may be pointing at the TTC for one of them.  

I think you have one purple crayon error....you are pointing to 4 Future Resorts, but I think there were only 3 planned.  You may be pointing at the TTC for one of them.  

You are correct.  I made a PCE (purple crayon error), and I don't have an eraser!

This very subject was discussed a couple of years ago on the Disney Parks Blog, and they even posted a pretty clear photo of the wall art:

old%20disney%20world%20map_zpsqupyjlkl.j

The article confirms that the map shows three resorts which had been announced, but never got built.  They were to be themed Asian, Persian and Venetian:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/02/vintage-walt-disney-world-old-maps-of-walt-disney-world-resort/

TCD

You are correct.  I made a PCE (purple crayon error), and I don't have an eraser!

This very subject was discussed a couple of years ago on the Disney Parks Blog, and they even posted a pretty clear photo of the wall art:

The article confirms that the map shows three resorts which had been announced, but never got built.  They were to be themed Asian, Persian and Venetian:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/02/vintage-walt-disney-world-old-maps-of-walt-disney-world-resort/

TCD

Can you imagine the uproar if a Persian resort were proposed today?  

Yes!  That was the other thing I wanted to comment on before getting sidetracked by the soy sauce.  See how my mind works?

Absolutely. 

TCD

PCD from TCD! 

I believe the CR rooms had those big maps too, and they were discarded when the resort was refurbished.  The Poly maps likely met the same fate.  

Upon opening in 1971, those 2 resorts had what....maybe 1,500 rooms combined?  

Let that sink in.  

How much would EACH of those maps bring in on eBay today?  

And they were chucked in a dumpster.  

See.  They had IMs back then too.

Let's see................

TCD

That's pretty cool.  It would look good on my basement wall.

Here we are at MGM....

Check out these first three pics and see if you notice anything weird:

IMG_3694_zps65collqf.jpg

IMG_3695_zpsbiwsqxaa.jpg

IMG_3696_zpsgnc3gybg.jpg

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?  WTF? 

I did not remember that at all.

check this video out:

https://youtu.be/9sM_NqFDNBo

Um.

I was much better off before I knew this.......and even better off that I never saw this steaming pile of crap.

Really enjoying this- growing up the WWD on Sunday nights was the closest I ever got to WDW until my senior year in HS when our band marched at Epcot in 1984. Sadly I was less interested in mickey ears than other anatomy at the time.

Next trip was in 1996 with my new family- got to play in river country once..

Yep, we remember the Ninja Turtles from our first trip in 97.

Did Disney own the Ninja Turtles?  Or just license them?  And why??

I don't believe so.  Not sure. And that's a very good question.

Really enjoying this- growing up the WWD on Sunday nights was the closest I ever got to WDW until my senior year in HS when our band marched at Epcot in 1984. Sadly I was less interested in mickey ears than other anatomy at the time.

Next trip was in 1996 with my new family- got to play in river country once..

I am glad you are enjoying it Rob.  Ah, the thoughts of an 18-year old dude.......someday I am going to put the fear of God in some of those dudes I think.

IMG_3696_zpsgnc3gybg.jpg

I thought the weird thing was that almost all attractions had "No Wait"

That was probably at rope drop though......and there was no Toy Story Mania, Rock n Roller Coaster, or Tower of Terror then.

TMNT were my son's favorite part of Disney when we went for his first trip in 1993. 

I bet my younger brothers probably liked it........it was just never my thing.

It's time to get this report moving again.

Now that the mystery of TMNT has been solved......or not......we can move on to other things:

IMG_3697_zpsv3jdpepv.jpg

IMG_3698_zps85itthkr.jpg

IMG_3699_zpsukhmwgey.jpg

IMG_3700_zpsob16i5an.jpg

IMG_3701_zps1gi04fp1.jpg

IMG_3706_zps0jbfyqge.jpg

IMG_3707_zpsbcqe0px2.jpg

IMG_3708_zpsudnegxc4.jpg

IMG_3709_zpsqbir94ld.jpg

IMG_3710_zpscmwo2esi.jpg

IMG_3711_zpskt7eeduc.jpg

IMG_3712_zpsaegl73zl.jpg

IMG_3713_zpsfpvqlgw6.jpg

IMG_3714_zpsqybtvifq.jpg

IMG_3715_zpsh8jtojpy.jpg

IMG_3716_zpsepeyw9vt.jpg

IMG_3717_zpsm7udxpiz.jpg

IMG_3718_zpsggyv8mct.jpg

IMG_3719_zpsahte1dwi.jpg

Soon we will head to the Fort for 2-3 updates worth of pics.......but before that we have to head back to Discovery Island.