It's A BuckeyeFortFamily Spring Break 'EGG'stravaganza!!

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

March 28, 2013 continued   We have a date with a person we have tried numerous times to connect with, but now it’s finally happening.   Backstory-I grew up on a Clydesdale breeding farm in Ohio.  I h

The horses all work 3 days and then get time off. He showed us the paddock that they get turned out in when they are done working on a typical work day.   Then we talked about the barn itself.   They

So.....would eating as you scrambled be frowned upon?

NO!

I really just read this as "So...would eating you as scrambled be frowned upon?" Oh dyslexia you do make ordinary life fun sometimes. 

Mwuhahaha...I may go back and edit it to that...

Funny stuff!

Only 5 times?

Apparently, we are supposed to just post recipes now.

TCD

I have noticed that too! It is frustrating to spend all that time getting in all the photos and text only to lose it and have to get clear back to where you can autosacv

Easter Day at the fort continued.

After our Trail's End breakfast we just relaxed and played on the playgrounds (marina and dog park) until it was time for the scavenger hunt.

I did a thread on the scavenger hunt on the long drive home from this trip so rather than re-write it click the link and check it out if you want to know more about the scavenger hunt.

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/9598-easter-2013-golden-egg-hunt/  

I do have a few things to add in the reporting of our Spring Break trip.

On Easter Day the Overflow Lot had really OVERFLOWED and they were parking RV's and campers here.

4-1-13443_zps817dda93.jpg

They were parking them in the grass all along the main drag around the hitch and unhitch areas.

4-1-13444_zpsf44baabe.jpg

Sorry for the blurry photo, I was trying to find a golden egg at the time I took it. Who knew just how futile that was at the time?

This is the family that won.

4-1-13447_zps3d612e28.jpg

I use the term 'family' loosely as my camera lens was not wide enough to include entire family.  There were probably 40 people. And there were a whole bunch of super fast running teenage boys.  There was no beating these guys with 4 kids in tow.

Especially when we got to cipher. BuckeyeFortFan and I did our best but the kids lost total interest when it came time to figure out the main clues. They loved running around on the golf cart "finding clues" but this trying to figure out the last clue with no hints was just beyond their attention span.  I think BuckeyeFortKid2 says it best with her selfie taken while we were unscrambling letters.

4-1-13445_zpsd6e5289e.jpg

Notice the guy in the black shirt and red shorts just standing behind my 3 really bored kids? He's on the winning team and at this point they have probably already found the golden egg, so our desperate attempt to unscramble the clue was truly futile.  

After the scavenger hunt we walked back to the golf cart and as we passed between the picnic tables and the Trail's End we saw a crock pot plugged into one of the golf cart charging stations. I just couldn't get a good picture from that side but when I got around to the golf cart they had taken the crock pot to the picnic table.

It had been sitting on this bucket two seconds ago.

4-1-13448_zpsd0914c96.jpg

Honestly, if your camper is sitting somewhere in this campground why are you cooking at the golf cart parking lot.

And more over, if you don't have a camper here why are you dragging a crock pot in to cook at the golf cart parking??? 

We headed back and had lunch at the camper. 

We tore down camp, boo!

We also swam, hooray!

I hate the last day before we leave. It's so bittersweet.

I also did ALL of our laundry. BuckeyeFortFan and I were leaving for a conference just 2 days after we got home so I wanted to make getting home easier.

We napped and played on the playground.

4-1-3a132_zps8688da60.jpg

Ok, I didn't play on the playground. I played on my favorite toy.

4-1-13456_zpsf8807404.jpg

We finished up leftovers for supper and got some Mickey Bars while we looped. We tried to find the GoofTroop but they weren't around when we drove past. 

We finished our night here.

4-1-13457_zpsd1502ae5.jpg

That was the water pageant. Did you catch it?

4-1-13459_zps70c12787.jpg

By the time the fireworks were going off, they were all asleep but the grownups.

4-1-13460_zps21d4bad4.jpg

Happy Easter to all and to all a good night.

Fast teens eh?  That's why I've trained my kids to go for the knees.  Pop Warner has its benefits!!!

Don't forget that cell phones really change the way the game is played.  You might add cell phone stealing strategies to your Golden Egg Hunt training.

Wow- I've never seen RV's parked by the unhitch area!

The Golden Egg hunt doesn't sound like it would be much fun for anyone other than that huge family with the fast teens.

I'm glad you reported on it, because now I don't feel bad for having never been there for it.

TCD

And there were a ton of RV's parked there.

A snarkier person than me might theorize that the overflow lot was filled with free-loading locals who bring their crock pots with them or entire households worth of stuff to have at the pool all day long.

We have now done Halloween (a bunch of times), Christmas, and Easter. 

I would say hands down that Halloween is the funniest holiday at the Fort.

What a great trip report.  Thanks for sharing !!       Can I ask what do you get for the " Golden Egg".

This year it was marina rentals.  I think the winners got a pontoon boat, but not all of 'them' would have fit on it.

April 1st, 2013

I wanted nothing more than to tell the kids our leaving was an April Fools joke, but unfortunately it wasn't.

This was the terribly sad day of tearing down camp and starting the long drive home.

Hooked up and looking back at the empty campsite. Where's that smiley face that is crying? :'(

4-1-13461_zpsa24736db.jpg

Kids in the truck ready to start the trip.

4-1-13462_zpsd519c7ff.jpg

This is the beginning of musical chairs.

4-1-13463_zps6cdb8c97.jpg

I'm gonna pass the time today doing a mini-report on the Golden Egg Hunt.

4-1-13464_zps71dd1b47.jpg

We stop at this Flying J every single time.

4-1-13465_zps7b65edcd.jpg

My husband would remember where this is.  I just know it's somewhere between WDW and the midway stop.

4-1-13466_zpsf94ab0da.jpg

Ah, man what I wouldn't give to have those gas prices back.

We found a unique contraption in the parking lot after our long stop for something to eat at Denny's (yuck!).

4-1-13467_zpsea315df8.jpg

How about a closer look.

4-1-13468_zps4ca853bc.jpg

The clouds were pretty on the drive home.

4-1-13469_zps117b9889.jpg

We spent the night at Rock Hill on the way home at our Flying J and hit the road at dawn.

April 2, 2013

4-1-13470_zps68e4f854.jpg

We started with some yummy donuts though.

4-1-13471_zpsf5e5e480.jpg

Today is the drive through the mountains day.

4-1-13474_zps661590c1.jpg

This is the day we go through Fancy Gap and the first time we didn't do it on a Sunday.

4-1-13475_zps51c276bd.jpg

We 'always' leave the Fort on a Saturday morning so we can get back to work on Monday but with it being Easter Sunday we decided to stay and do Easter at the Fort and leave Monday morning. Our reasons were two-fold. One to enjoy Easter at our 2nd home and Two to not fight Easter traffic.

This was super smart as had we left at our normal time we would have been traveling through Fancy Gap mid-day on Easter and that would have put us there around the same time as the monster fog induced pile-up that closed down both north and south bound 77 for 7-10 hours. 

So thankful for this.

Tunnel #1 is just on the other side of Fancy Gap.

4-1-13481_zps217f50c8.jpg

Let's check in with the kids.

4-1-13482_zps04d35957.jpg

All plugged in, in the back seat and super quiet.

4-1-13483_zpsb6895196.jpg

But wide awake and full fire in the front seat.

4-1-13484_zps09ac9bee.jpg

"Who me?"

4-1-13485_zps10511717.jpg

Oh yeah, he looks so innocent doesn't he?

It's a full time job keeping him entertained, let me tell you.

More mountains.

4-1-13486_zpsb4aea80b.jpg

I call this one-cloud shadow on the unnamed mountains.

4-1-13488_zps0c8b527e.jpg

Wait maybe it does have a name.

4-1-13489_zpsee642ad9.jpg

Let's call it cloud shadow on East River Mountain.

What a trooper BuckeyeFortKid4 is. There is NO leg room in the front seat.

4-1-13490_zpsdd07e4d0.jpg

West Virginia Capital Building from the south.

4-1-13495_zpsa54bbb87.jpg

Ohio River Bridge from the South.

4-1-13498_zps8a90b8a7.jpg

Welcome to Ohio sign.....heading North. I bet you thought I was going to say from the South? Tricked ya!

4-1-13499_zps1228b00d.jpg

Hey it's a long two days of driving and I'm a little slap happy. Can you blame me?

The kids are zonked.

4-1-13502_zpsc6381388.jpg

4-1-13504_zpsa6b931f0.jpg

Well, not all the kids.

4-1-13503_zps2d700acc.jpg

When we get about 20 minutes from home. I order pizza to be delivered and call the grandparents.

By 6pm on April 2nd we had unloaded the camper and were sitting down to pizza and reliving our wonderful vacation with the loved ones we leave in Ohio (Grandma and Grandpa and poor old Hiram).

It was a wonderful vacation and nice and long.  We met some fiends-all of which really liked and look forward to seeing again.  We saw what Easter was all about and of course made some Disney TCD Ranch magic of our own.  

Thanks for hanging in there reading along on the trip report that lasted FOREVER! I hope you have enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it.

See you all again at Halloween 2013.

Hmmm, they actually have a section for up to 16.  I may have to rethink the Easter tradition. :D

Nice job with the littlest have the smallest selection in his bucket but still having the chocolate face first.

I am sorry I missed this comment before, but I'll make up for it now.

I would say depending on the age of your kids, you could probably sleep in (I hope Lou... isn't reading this trip report anymore--I know he had to read to see what I said about him, but I am sure he stopped then). and show up a half hour after the scramble and still get buckets full of candy from any of the sections.  By then they were begging anyone EVEN ADULTS to pick up candy.

Nice catch on the chocolate face.  My boys do the chocolate face well.  There is no hiding they have had chocolate.  

Outstanding trip report.

Love the idea about ordering pizza.

The Travel trailer on a roll-back thing was awesome!!!

Thanks Coach!

The pizza idea is a winner I must admit.  Try it and you won't be disappointed. It makes the last leg of the trip a little more bearable.

You see some interesting things driving through so much of the country.

Great report!!!!

Love the pizza idea!!!

Thanks.... I need a good camping trip so I can read about the Beach. Summer has taken off on me and I just don't have any downtime.  

Loved your report!

Thank you very much. 

I must admit I am itching to write another one.

Really enjoyed your report and pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you.  Unfortunately, Halloween is a long way off.

Hmmm.

Classic.

I wrote a long comment, and then the site went down and it disappeared.  Not even Auto Saved.

So let's try this again .  .  .

You did an Excellent job on this report.

I am in awe of how well you are able to travel the long distance to the Fort.

I can't wait to read your Halloween report.

TCD

I can't wait to write it. 

You are more than welcome to join us for Halloween!

You'd see Disney a whole different way with the BuckeyeFortFamily as your tour guides.

You know the Yankee way!

Rope Drop and sarcasm.

Awesome ending to an awesome trip report.

Thanks!

Outstanding TR BFF!

I love driving through the mountains.

It is much more fun driving south than it is driving north though.

Looking forward to your Halloween TR.

It will help fill the void during the last month or so of our December trip countdown!

Thanks neighbor!

I know what you mean about driving south. That trip just flies.

Driving north is like it's all uphill!

You will be dying by Halloween.

I am dying now!

Halloween is gonna take FOREVER!!!!