Troop 27 goes to Gettysburg

Well, it's less than 24 hours from our departure and I haven't finished packing. Been a busy week, but we have most of the gear in the troop trailer, I need to finish packing my stuff and Matt's gear, get propane tanks filled, fill my truck, get the rental van and try to keep dry in this freezing rain! Looking forward to the warm weather predicted for next week!

D6F71D9E-661E-41ED-91E8-9472A22DA97B-211

Well, seems like my attempt to post this report "live" was an epic fail, and my first rough Draft here at home just crashed - not a great way to keep motivated on writing!

But, I'm sure I can get this done.

Anyhow, the Friday before the trip was supposed to be a relaxing day at home packing in the morning, picking up the rental van with three others at mid day and then heading to a big party that night with Nancy.  I had the truck all packed with my gear in the morning when mother nature decided to throw us an ice storm to make our day.  There was no way I was going to drive out in that with Nancy's van, so I unpacked the truck and went on out into the miserable whether in four wheel drive.  Not fun, lots of accidents, but I made it unscathed.

14C08A4E-7AA0-4A5D-B08E-A315852223ED-211

Irony of a car with Florida plates covered in ice

B984C825-99A3-4A33-870F-5ABEB3998EE3-211

I made it home from the party at midnight, repacked the truck and went to bed for a 4:30 wakeup.  Matt and I showered, hopped in the truck with our snacks, picked up the other two who were to ride with us and went to meet the troop for a 6:00am departure.

Everyone was excited and ready to go on time.

BFA72986-2ECF-40B8-A1F0-E101AED6DA05-141

Overall it was a great ride down.  Overcast skies, good company, and an easy drive to Scranton where we stopped for the Steamtown National Historic Park to break up the drive.  I highly recommend this place, lots of great cars and engines to explore.  They also show you the maintenance shop where they painstakingly restore these rail peices to their original condition. 

7D8546D6-1F3E-47EF-B56D-7736593002CC-141

Mail car

D9C89AD1-9523-40A2-A578-9C20425F89F1-141

Business Class sleeper car with kitchen

8F763AB8-CAF5-434E-BE3A-80080A4FE6E9-141

04ED5D8C-DE9C-4FF0-BDEC-37898648D497-141

C8FD0625-1C8E-4D5D-8AD4-C3C093515459-141

Cut away view of the interior of the steam engine to show how it works

D101B353-C8BF-4B25-80C9-18CED69F1867-141

By the way, for those who didn't know (like me before the tour), the three domes on top of the engine show that it was a yard switch engine used to move cars around the rail yard.  The middle dome is where the steam pressure builds up, and the front and back domes hold sand used to provide friction on the steel rails and give them more traction in forward or reverse.  If there were only two domes, the sand dome would be at the front of the engine to drop sand in front of the drive wheels as it went forward (usually for steep hils or starting out). 

9FA765D1-3D8E-4DCE-A3D7-AE8358D9324F-141

And lastly, one of the largest ever produced steam engines for the Union Pacific rail company known as the "Big Boy"  (that's a technical term for rail fans in the know ;-)

F2C1CD17-1ED4-4F00-B98A-7A9CBC62F7E6-141

I don't normally include photos with the other kids in it, but this group photo shows the scale of that engine, the drive wheels are bigger than the kids!

3F6BAE71-324E-4BA6-B7A9-86C28148A220-141

We made our way to Frances Slocum State Park and set up in the group camping area at the top of the hill for the night before heading out to Gettysburg in the morning.  It was cold and windy, but we were used to colder and windier, so the kids had fun anyway.

CCA3F733-9772-417A-8BDC-2345885A7FE1-141

We settled in for a meal of quick prep chili (meat cooked in advance, everything else out of cans) and sat around the fire for a while.  We stumbled to bed and snored away the first full night of the trip with the wind howling around us.  That ends the first day of the trip.  Up next, we pack up camp in snow flurries and hope the weather improves a few miles to the south!

I'm in !   Steamtown is alot of fun... They run the trains and in the fall it is a beautiful ride through NE PA.     What is funny is that they have a large amount of trains and cars that came out of Canada.   Some joke that it is the best Canadian Train Museum in the world.    During Christmas, the Candida Pacific Holiday Train stops in Scranton at Steamtown.  If you have never seen the CP Holiday train it is awesome and really fun.

I had to pull myself away from AC's 1978 trip report to get back to this.  That is a great trip back in time and I can't wait to get back into that!

Anyhow, last we left off on this trip the troop was all settled in for the night in the cold at Frances Slocum State Park in Wyoming PA.  Matt and I had brought along extra sleeping bags just in case the dreaded stomach flu from last year's trip decided to pay a repeat visit.  While being sick on vacation certainly SMB, being sick and not having a clean sleeping bag to get into SMB even worse!  Those extra sleeping bags came in handy for this cold night.  I was also happy to have a new sleeping pad to separate me and my old bones from the cold, cold ground.  While I may be getting older, I am still enjoying my time on this side of the dirt and I think my bones protest getting a little too close to the ground - and they let me know it!  But this new sleeping pad worked great and I was a lot more comfortable in the morning.

So, being the type of person I am, I was wide awake at 5:00am.  On vacation even and my body decides to stay on schedule and tell me to get up.  With age comes wisdom (at least some) and I knew it was hopeless to try and go back to sleep.  So I got up to the sounds of the early birds and went to start the coffee.  On a cold and windy day, a 24 cup aluminum coffee pot takes almost 40 minutes to percolate.  I've learned to bring my small stove and brew a single cup of my own coffee while waiting, so this morning I was able to partake of a fresh cup of Tim Horton's Fine Grind delivered to me a few days before the trip by a co-worker.  I can't think of a better brew.

A69B2405-B61D-4CFA-9564-E136E2FB97C6-524

After that first cup was imbibed, I decided to wander around some and check out the area.  Being at the top of the hill was a little cold and windy in early April, but I bet it's a great location for tent campers during the heat of the summer.  The view is good and with a steady breeze I bet it's a lot more comfortable and less buggy than down in the forested areas in the valley.  Some early morning shots before everyone woke up, and then some photos around this area showing the walk in sites and bath house near the top of the hill:

A491D117-B814-486E-B495-22DA40CFED2B-524

The adult leader area tents (snore central):

A0012653-29CB-4D71-AD79-C32B1DFA345D-524

2A1CE67F-4BF4-42EE-9CC6-4E34D5973678-524

The caravan and troop trailer in the parking area:

3E4C75E0-E8E7-4332-B09A-AAEB494FB2A0-524

The bath house (didn't get a photo of stall #2)

E5F6BE5D-624F-475B-92A3-C882E9094E26-524

Walk in tent sites at the top of the hill, not open for the season yet

3B46F5FD-8FFB-4DCE-A7B6-11595ED138F7-524

After my little jaunt around the area I went back to find the kids up and preparing scrambled eggs for breakfast.  It's kind of nice to have the kids able to make a meal and clean up after it!  Sometimes you have to learn to accept egg shells and dirt in your meal, but it's a learning experience.  Just try not to think about the last time the kids washed their hands ;-P

E29DC976-0650-46BF-B360-EB30B43408AA-524

We were on our way soon after breakfast and headed for Gettysburg.  It's amazing how quickly the kids can get the gear broken down and packed away when the weather is OK.  But, for some reason, when it is raining and cold (like our October trip), one or two of the kids will drag their feet and everyone will be standing around soaking wet trying to convince them to just hurry and get it done.  You would think they would learn to hustle when it's miserable so they can get in the car quicker.  Anyway, off the soapbox and onto the road we go!

Along the way on I-81

460ADDA6-49A7-4FB6-AF43-8D688381608B-524

And finally at our destination!

0421677B-9A4A-475A-A546-8AEE22908772-524

We arrived at McMillan Woods in the early afternoon and had a great site (#5) in the corner.  Nice level sites and green grass.  And it was a nice, comfortable 68 degrees and as comfortable as you can get!

Below is our scoutmaster, herder of cats and ambassador of good will.  For some reason, this guy manages to keep groups of varying personalities and abilities all on the same page with minimal arguing or complaining.  I'm beginning to think that future leaders should be selected from volunteer organizations.  If you are willing to take this greif for free, then you are a great leader!

C21B17CF-05CD-4337-8151-28224CD76F25-524

Anyhow, we settled in for a relaxing evening and planned our upcoming events.  I've got more photos to sort and I will be back with the third day of the trip and some great shots of the battlefields!

So Monday morning came all too quick.  We had a peaceful night in the campground with the boys disappointed that they didn't see any ghosts.  I think our snoring kept them away.

Once again, I woke up earlier than the rest and decided to go have a talk with a curious neighbor of ours.

1B63E50F-7E21-4532-9B22-213213A4A811-757

This bovine neighbor would come visit us every morning, but never let us get close enough to shake hands.  The kids were joking about how the cow was interested in looking at us like we were in a people zoo.  The adults were thinking about fresh steaks!

This was the scenic farm that was raising the beef cows and will soon (July) be part of the huge 150th anniversary celebration.  We heard from the ranger that this field will be filled with soldiers doing a re-enactment of the battle.  I wonder if the cows will be allowed to participate?

2567F973-94FD-4377-9483-0FA253D2D689-757

From there, we were off to the visitor center and museum to catch the show and have some of the kids read up on the battle before checking out the lay of the land.  If you ever get to this area, I would recommend reading up on the battle before coming. I did not and wish I had more of the history fresh in mind before we toured, but that gives me a reason to come back!

23979EE0-E9A7-49D6-B631-121D6637610B-757

P4140150_zps3371557c.jpg

P4140152_zps3322afed.jpg

After a few hours spent touring the museum and checking out the gift shop, we wandered outside and enjoyed the warm spring air and the view of leaves beginning to bud on the trees.  After the snowy March that we had in the northeast, this was a welcome turn in the weather and we decided to chill out at the cars and eat before walking along Cemetery Ridge.

C9CC8959-6EC0-4791-B36D-E4C3B171DB01-757

8D0D3706-6017-4BBE-9F01-421CD0C0C952-757

F1161C8B-1D4D-44D5-8553-D5E10289ABA2-757

1F517EAB-2C96-4345-A082-6CAF9DCC01A0-757

5F64ADE6-3556-4499-83FD-744C57C10ABB-757

07E72CBE-1CB3-40B9-A4D1-CDBE53456F0B-757

F68EA046-8992-4F2C-8F5C-4857CFC35A05-757

Matt and I at the National Cemetery just a few yards from where the Gettysburg Address was given.  It was a really peaceful setting, not as large or as organized as Arlington, but I was impressed with how the nation recognized the need to set this up so soon after the battle while the nation was still at war.  It was also right around this time, about 3:00 in the afternoon on Monday, that we began to get our first information about the tragedy at the Boston Marathon. 

D05E3D89-BC6A-40FE-B594-645BFA6D83E5-757

We toured on for a little while as the news began to filter in through text messages and news bulletins. 

9CD89C8D-793F-4998-8C25-9625D7667BA7-320

Then decided to head back to the site and let the kids take it easy for the afternoon and just be "kids".  Everyone in the troop right now is 13 or under, and in just a few short years they will be hitting that awkward age where they try  to figure out what being an adult means.  Knowing that 25 to 30 years of trying to figure that out myself and I still don't have the answers, it was nice to see them all just goofing off and learning how to get along together without video games or computer monitors between them. 

Cows are such interesting animals.  We get so much from them between the dairy products and the beef, and yet they don't see us as natural enemies. 

In any case, i'm continuing to enjoy this report.  Your Boy Scout trip reports always bring me back.  Not having a son, I haven't experienced this in years.  We camp obviously, and have even tent camped, but there's something about the experience of scout camping. 

Have a safe and great trip!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great trip! It got down to 28 the one night we were there and we survived in a tent! I'm jealous of your temps!

Enjoy the trip!

Have a great time Dan !

Snow flurries!  Yuck! 

Hope you have a great trip. 

We had an awesome time, but I wasn't able to do the trip report live like I wanted, and that sort of bummed me out.  I will figure it out one day, because I find myself too busy when I get back to finish them!

That is a big boy. They have a giant like that at Henry Ford Museum I believe.

Looking forward to more!

I was impressed with that, just think of the weight and all the steel used in that thing!  I was just thinking about the comparison of the kids in front of the shuttle space craft last year and now in front of this - next year's trip should find us in front of a whaling ship or Galleon maybe?

Wind and snow ... you are brave to tent camp in that weather!

Unfortunately, with such a short summer, we don't get much for options.  I never used to even dream of camping in that weather, but I will say that is is not that bad once you know how to prepare.  No bugs is a really big positive side to camping in that weather.  However, washing dishes can be a challenge.

I'm in !   Steamtown is alot of fun... They run the trains and in the fall it is a beautiful ride through NE PA.     What is funny is that they have a large amount of trains and cars that came out of Canada.   Some joke that it is the best Canadian Train Museum in the world.    During Christmas, the Candida Pacific Holiday Train stops in Scranton at Steamtown.  If you have never seen the CP Holiday train it is awesome and really fun.

Sounds like a great idea for an overnight trip some winter.  I noticed the Steamtown mall right nearby also - maybe a chance to get away next holiday season.

I am cold just looking at that picture of your tents.  Brings me back to my scouting days in Buffalo.  I don't know how we survived. 

I'm glad I get to share this time with Matt, because my days in scouting as a kid were very short, maybe one season?  I seem to recall a hard time getting a group together in our small town.  But I vividly remember a winter camping trip when the temps went to the single digits at night and all I had were two flannel summer bags, one with a broken zipper.  I froze, but I was with my Dad and older brother and the sledding was great.  I'll have to ask him about that sometime.  I remember him and the other adults keeping the hot chocolate going all weekend for us, and teaching us how to quit our complaining and find a way to have fun somehow because we weren't going home.  Learned a valuable lesson about trying to find the positive in a bad situation or you were doomed to being miserable waiting for things to get better.

Almost thought the kids were going to earn their Frostbite Badge!!!!!!!

There's an idea!  I think the kids from Wisconsin and North Dakota specialize in that.  In July.

Cows are such interesting animals.  We get so much from them between the dairy products and the beef, and yet they don't see us as natural enemies. 

In any case, i'm continuing to enjoy this report.  Your Boy Scout trip reports always bring me back.  Not having a son, I haven't experienced this in years.  We camp obviously, and have even tent camped, but there's something about the experience of scout camping. 

I think you're right about cows - Bulls are a different story, but cows are always interesting.  I spent some time on a farm when I was a kid and I always remember one or two of the cows being really friendly and happy to see us while most of the horses really didn't care one way or another. 

I think the biggest difference I see about scout camping vs. regular camping with my kids (even tent campig) is that Boy Scouts is lead by the boys themselves.  The adults are there to guide, referee, instruct at times, but watching the group of kids interact and set up their own group structure through elections and stuff is fascinating.  Our family doctor gave me some great advice once, that all the best training I can give my kids will be done by the time they hit 12.  After that, while you don't give up, all you are really doing is trying to reinforce and remind them of the lesson's you taught them up to that point.  By around age 12, the kids are learning from other kids, and you have to hope that they use the information given to them ahead of time to process what they see.  Now that my oldest is 21, I can definitely relate to that.  We had some tough times, but when the "fit hit the shan" he remembered those talks I had with him at a young age and gave me that call late one night.

I think of that a lot now when I see some parents with kids and they never interact with them, other than to hand them some electronic device to entertain them and treat them like the kids are bothering them when the kid comes to talk to them.  Don't get me wrong, my kids have games and electronic devices and we aren't always sitting around like Ward and the Beaver or Ozzy and  Harriet, but I think you know what I'm saying.  They are only young for a little while.

Anyhow, off my soapbox.  Glad you are enjoying the reports, and don't be too jealous about scout camping trips.  If you want some help not being jealous just try to think about having to do a daily tick check in a port-a-potty at night.  Oh, and don't forget the flash light because using a lighter for illumination is not recommended for this!

Back to the report!  Tuesday was a really low key kind of day.  We just toured the battle fields, starting with the observation tower near the southwest corner at Eisenhower's farm and the area that Longstreet was in control of (I think).  It was a little chilly that morning so I don't  think I have much for photos, but we eventually made it to Round Top, Little Round Top, the slaughter pen and Devils Den.

Here's a photo of four of us adult leaders at the top of the tower joking around with Matt peeking over my shoulder

DEB3BA95-6E0A-4925-BDCE-048BB25991F5-320

And let me pause for a second to recognize this gentleman who is new to the group (his son just bridged over into our troop this winter).  He was awarded two purple hearts during his service to our country as an army medic.  Once from a shot to the shoulder while on the tarmac of an airport in Tunisia, the second time from a roadside IED in Iraq.  That second one challenges him at times on our long walks, but he will still put on his 80 pound military pack and carry his gear when we go backpacking.  He also volunteered to be our medical leader and donated a very well equipped medic kit for first aid.  But his current best occupation is being a dad to the kids that were on his mind while he was recovering from that blast in Iraq.

4811212B-4B77-4AC9-ACC8-85C11CBA3308-320

And a photo of Matt and me on the tower

0CDBFB17-6B28-4000-B65C-ED52E73C9AB1-320

From there we hiked up to the top of Round Top, one of the hills being defended by the Union Troops. 

CCAE99E9-EF2D-4300-B6DF-69E88AFD4B2C-320

D273EE02-C115-4808-BDFB-8E456093C3AE-320

The weather started to get warmer while we hiked up Round Top and the black snakes started to come out to warm up in the sun. Kind of creepy to see, especially considering the history of the place and all the deaths that happened on this hill.

P4150211_zps62efc970.jpg

From there we drove to Little Round Top to look out over one of the areas of the most intense, close up fighting that happened.  Being in that spot 150 years ago must have been so brutal.  That is the only word I can think of.  In the distance in this valley you can see a pile of rocks known as Devils Den.  That was initially held by Union Troops from NY who lost the area to advancing CSA troops.  Once the CSA troops hit that area, they realized they were pinned down by fire from the high ground at Round Top and Little Round Top.  They didn't stand a chance, but fought on anyway, trying to advance up that open hillside and took heavy casualties.

8DE418B8-A5C1-4D11-8B30-624D4461A63A-320

Matt playing in the rocks at Devil's Den

P4160229-Copy_zpsafb6d436.jpg

P4160231_zps35ff797d.jpg

We let the kids spend almost 3 hours here enjoying the rocks, warm weather, sunshine and just general goofing off time before heading back for a meal of burgers and grilled chicken.

3C548054-E4F6-49A7-9301-16AAE69EFC3F-320

It was an early night so we could get up and out before 7:00 am Wednesday morning.  We were headed to Washington DC for another day, including a tour of the Capitol building.

Great report!

This brings back a lot of memories.  I was lucky enough to visit Gettysburg and Washington DC with my scout troop.

I enjoyed your "soapbox" comments.  I agree that Boy Scouts (and teens in general) learn a lot from each other, but do not discount the role that you and the other adult leaders play.

I was fortunate to have had great men as my Scout leaders growing up.  You and the other men are doing a great thing. Most of the best memories from my youth are from scouting, and I'm sure the same will be true for your son and the other boys.

TCD

I also enjoyed your soapbox comments, especially about how you teach kids everything they need to know by age 12.  So basically it is hopeless for my 3 older girls at this point.  I still have 2 to mold properly though. 

You do know that your girls can join Venture Crews when they turn 14 :)