OT: Police Unity Tour

This really isn't a trip report, since I only drove about 5 mins but thought some members (especially any that are law enforcement) would find this interesting.

I copied this from their website to give you a little background on the ride.

http://policeunitytour.com/

"Our Mission

The primary purpose of the Police Unity Tour is to raise awareness of Law Enforcement Officers who have died in the line of duty.

The secondary purpose is to raise funds for the National Law Enforcement Officer’s Memorial and Museum."

We are fortunate to live about 3 mins from the route that is used every year for the Police Unity Tour for the North Jersey and New York chapters. This was the 3rd year we were able to watch and cheer on the riders as they head down to DC.

Their slogan is "We ride for those who die" just typing that gives me chills. The paper said it was about 800 officers on bikes that came by, with about 1,600 total making the trip to DC. Each rider has to raise a minimum amount and I want to say it is close to $2,000.

It is really an amazing and touching experience to see. To know that these are all people who protect us on a daily basis and that they are raising money for the families of fallen officers is chilling.

I must admit it makes me cry every year! My parents, Adam and I were standing with a few other people cheering and clapping for them. The thing that threw me off was how many officers were saying thank you. At first I was taken back because I was thinking, what are you thanking me for? You are the real heros and we should be telling you thank you! The ironic thing is, Adam said to me, "Mommy they are thanking me for waving!". They really seem to appreciate the cheering and honking.

Thanks for sharing! What a great cause. I have been to the Memorial but had not heard of this event. This has made it onto the short list of events I need to get the family to in the next few years. Thanks again

Joe

• 11 months later...