~coin flip trip~ report...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a terrific TR - thanks for picking it back up.       And for sure to many of us they're never "just dogs."  :hugs2:

some how i think i missed the pic from the olympic mountain... lol  so, here it is.  it was really cool to see this and be right there by it.  still not sure what the track was.   sorry about the wind

thanks-glad you like the pics..  

as we go further into south dakota we see more old cars/trucks.  

PICT0014_zpsf791771f.jpgPICT0007_zps883c110d.jpg

PICT0004_zpsfe168020.jpgPICT0017_zps1ecc86c7.jpg

and i had to take this photo for carol.   :)

PICT0005_zpsd59b7edf.jpg

this seemed like it might be an interesting place to stop and do some wine tasting.  lol

PICT0016_zps571aa322.jpg

we enter the custer area.

PICT0015_zps68845b74.jpg

and another of my favorite places to visit:

PICT0019_zps7122c61b.jpg

why would a state park in south dakota be a favorite spot of mine?  well-the views of mount rushmore are awesome.  as most people know mount rushmore was created and will always be free to visit.  oh-but, now they have built the parking area and are charging for parking.  so, if you've been there and want to avoid the parking fee-visit custer state park.  yes, there's a fee to visit but you can get so much out of visiting the park.  the views, the pig tail bridges, the tunnels and of course the animals.  because we were out and about in early may--the animals were there for the picture taking..

Here are some pics of the campground we stayed in.  Again-we didn't have any reservations for any place we went.  At this time of the year we had our choice of sites and very few tourists to deal with.

PICT0039_zps6cdf380f.jpg  PICT0040_zpsdb943fb1.jpg

on our way into the campground these guys were hanging around in a field.

PICT0041_zps1fb287dd.jpgPICT0042_zps5af9cfda.jpg

this is the site we chose..

PICT0049_zps59c7c2dc.jpg

and we didn't have to wait very long to see the deer come up for a visit right behind our site.

PICT0048_zps04a1a0cf.jpg    PICT0053_zpsee256f6d.jpg

the next morning we head out and first thing we come across are more bison.

PICT0057_zpsacdb38ca.jpg   PICT0059_zps2c9223b4.jpg

barkley decided he needed a better view of the outside world...

PICT0060_zps1a35bf66.jpg

PICT0061_zps3ad85ea4.jpg  PICT0062_zps771757fd.jpg

PICT0063_zpsc568bb0d.jpg  PICT0068_zpsece46328.jpg

DH decided he should go out and get a pic with the mh and the buffalo...

PICT0071a_zps274a29de.jpg

all for now-i hope you enjoy the trip so far.  

a few more critter pics.  did i tell you there was an abundance of wildlife on this journey. :)   dave-the animals probably think we're a bunch of idiots and we should leave their area.  lol   

tcd--photos are on the way of mt rushmore. :)  yes, gwen the storm was pretty intense looking.

PICT0085_zps406094c9.jpg  PICT0081_zps2bfddb6d.jpg

PICT0082_zps4b23921e.jpg   PICT0076_zps0120b5f5.jpg

PICT0086_zps4b13f2eb.jpg  PICT0080_zpsb74ee913.jpg

here is view number one of mt rushmore..

PICT0091_zps3e79fa5b.jpg

then we have the tunnels that are in custer state park.  there are ways to get into custer without going through the tunnels if you feel your rig is too big.  we always know the height of our rig and have always been able to drive through them.  

PICT0095_zpsabf13868.jpg  PICT0096_zps5ac83f2b.jpg

PICT0097_zps6eea6dd7.jpg  PICT0098_zpsafc08b73.jpg

another view of mt rushmore..

PICT0106_zps11871652.jpg

a tunnel...i believe there are 3 in the park all on this side.

PICT0102_zps692b6311.jpg  PICT0103_zpseb68b095.jpg

and what's on the other side of the tunnel--yup another view of mt rushmore.

PICT0104_zpsd8032fc3.jpg 

i believe this is one of our last family photos.  i'm so glad i take a lot of pictures when we travel.  mt rushmore is in the background here.  this is a very pretty area but, on a normal summer day it is packed with people.  we only had one other couple there at the same time as us and they looked and left.   :)

PICT0099_zps65abb5e7.jpg

here is a little information on the pigtail bridges--probably can't read it.  but, hey, i tried.  lol  it's the best i could do to show the bridges.  just take pics as we went around and around it...  lol

PICT0109_zps309f68a9.jpg  PICT0112_zps8dee1c6c.jpg

PICT0110_zpsa4ae4d82.jpg   PICT0111_zps15b29fac.jpg

then we headed out of the park..

PICT0087_zps5017372b.jpg

and we come across this.  i made dh back up to get a better pic.  this has been out here for a long time.  i have pics of it from previous trips but, it is so funny-i had to get it again.  do you see it?

PICT0089_zpsff5ecd6b.jpg

how 'bout now?

PICT0090_zps749b1b41.jpg

it's just neat to see some people have a sense of humor.  lol

Judy-i've been curious about yosemite, too.  makes me want to get on a plane and go see it--not!  lol-i don't fly-but, anyone else can go and get some pics so we can see the before and after. :)  

glad you liked the pig tail bridges, tcd.  they are pretty neat to drive on.

i should be wrapping this up soon.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

this is the big city of keystone.  just outside of custer state park and mount rushmore.  this town is packed in the summer.  as you can see we owned it when we visited.  lol  i'm not sure if they still offer helicopter rides but, they used to.  it would be (if you didn't mind heights) a neat way to view mt rushmore.

PICT0123_zpsc93ea950.jpg    PICT0118_zpsaa861627.jpg

PICT0119_zps7a6f878c.jpg  PICT0124_zps840d3856.jpg

Yup-an ATV parked on the street.  I always think it's neat when you can use your toys daily.   :)

PICT0125_zps25fde2b2.jpg

some scenery pics.  yeah-i know.  can you believe another tunnel!   :)

PICT0115_zps6486b7fb.jpg

PICT0126_zps46a0481b.jpg

i'm not sure where this is but it was on the way home and in south dakota.  

PICT0157_zps13d78c0e.jpg  PICT0158_zps784be233.jpg

should've stopped to get some of this...

PICT0128_zps2ff07e09.jpg

we pulled off the highway in "some town" and these statues were on each corner of this intersection.  again-no idea where we were but, it was a clean town. :)

PICT0159_zpsbcb70a86.jpg  PICT0160_zpsedd2e2ef.jpg

The sunsetting behind us.  

PICT0162_zps9333729c.jpg

THAT'S IT!!  my tr is finally over.  lol  a two week trip took me months to tell you about but i did it!  we accomplished a lot and never had a reservation.  if you can go before memorial day or after labor day--highly recommend it.  thanks for tagging along and hope you enjoyed it!

Way to go!!!

You finished your report!

Great job.

I loved the last photo-with the sun setting in your truck mirror.  How appropriate.

I also liked the two before that- some statues in some town.  You can tell you were ready to get home.

Thanks for sharing this trip with everyone here.  I don't think I would ever be brave enough to just set out with no itinerary or reservations, but it sure would be a fun thing to do if I ever get the nerve.

TCD

thanks!  we were definitely ready to get home.  but, it wasn't because of getting home as much as we knew Duke (our dog) wasn't doing good.  we knew enough to know we needed to be near our vet.  

just hopping in a vehicle and going are some of the best trips.  the may not be the best of times but they are always remembered.  it helps when you have a camper that you can just pull over and sleep where you want vs having to set up.  we are done with the west coast for a while.  my next major trip i want to do is the upper east coast.  dc is about the farthest that way we have been.  we did that and have driven the east coast down to the keys.  but, never the northern east coast.might be a few years for that one.  but--then again----you just never know when that urge will hit us!  lol