~coin flip trip~ report...

on a whim we decided we needed to go on vacation.  we checked out going to the fort but, thought we would save that because we prefer to go in fall when we can visit with everyone. we had thought about going out west but, the weather was still cold and we wanted warm weather.  so, we would head south and do the blue ridge parkway, smokey mountain national park, go into savannah, GA, the carolinas--you know just go and see the south eastern US.

we were leaving on friday, 4-26 and on thursday we were talking about the weather and the trip.  thursday night we decided with the rain and storms that were going to be in the south we would head WEST!  our weather was breaking and well-the weather out that way should be doing the same.  

so, westward ho is the way we go!!  the whole trip was pretty much based on a flip of a coin.  do we go here or should we go there.  well-no matter where we ended up-we were on vacation.  we had a few places that we wanted to go but, it wasn't like we had to.  so--we are off!

most of the first part was filled with farm fields and rolling hills.  not much happening other than some sunshine. :)

PICT0002_zps63068f0e.jpg

taking a break at the missouri river it's a sunny day and lots of boats out there..

PICT0007_zpseb3d7f39.jpg

PICT0004_zps115b12f8.jpg  PICT0011_zpsdc19c49f.jpg

ready to go again.. one pup is on the chair and not in the photo.

PICT0014_zps6e99d58b.jpg

i'm not positive of the location of this-other than near wall drug.  no wall drug stop for us.  we had to get farther west before we would be happy. :)

PICT0016_zpsd67bf3b9.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a terrific TR - thanks for picking it back up.       And for sure to many of us they're never "just dogs."  :hugs2:

some how i think i missed the pic from the olympic mountain... lol  so, here it is.  it was really cool to see this and be right there by it.  still not sure what the track was.   sorry about the wind

our first actual stop sat 4-27- was in spearfish,sd.  we choose a koa because of the internet and cable tv.  so, we pull in and its after hours but the hosts come out and talk to us.  unfortunately, their internet isn't working and they don't have water at the sites.  the price for camping was reduced to $25 and we really didn't care about the internet or water as long as they compensated the price.

they had turned the water on too soon and well-paid the price when the temps got too cold again.  we just filled our water and plugged into the electric and were satisfied.  it was a nice campground and the hosts were very friendly.  i do recommend this campground if anyone heads out that way.  we were able to walk the dogs and get a good night sleep.  

it was a pretty empty campground.  we were hoping we would have this the whole trip since we had gone early in the season.  we had no reservations and really didn't know where we would end up.

PICT0017_zps64f88e09.jpgPICT0018_zpse19c052e.jpg

PICT0022_zps2fba89f2.jpgPICT0023_zpsb334c92a.jpg

here's some pics of the mountains in the morning as we leave spearfish, sd and yup-you guessed it, head west!

PICT0027_zps202fb543.jpg  PICT0041_zpsd94bb969.jpg

this caught my attention because why was the road shaped like this?  maybe it is a water issue-the rain would have somewhere to go when it runs down the hill?  i don't know but, it looked silly to me.

PICT0032_zps966c6cd7.jpg

this was a tempting turn.  yellowstone or continue west.  well-we can do yellowstone during a one week trip so-we must continue westward!

PICT0048_zps37cf316f.jpg

more mountains...and just an fyi---there are mountains, lakes, tunnels and campgrounds in this tr.  lol

PICT0058_zpse37c2cef.jpg  PICT0061_zpsa1b19982.jpg

this person really caught my eye.  we were going under a bridge and they were out of their car-doing something that at first i couldn't tell.  well, they had a really nice looking older car (not sure what make) and the sun was setting-hitting the car just right.  so, they were up on the bridge taking a picture of the sunset and the car.  i bet it turned out awesome..

PICT0082_zpsc5a48c9a.jpg

i found a really neat website http://www.roadsideamerica.com .  you put in the state then look for the city you are going through to find intersting things-to stop and see.  well, we found evel knievels grave.  it was really neat to see.  his grave stone was made when he was going to jump the river.  i don't think he ever did attempt this.  then, later when he died they engraved the other side.  so, both sides of his gravestone are engraved-it was neat and we barely made it there before dark.

PICT0090_zps3988ef6e.jpg  PICT0091_zpsee762f73.jpg

sunday night was a rest area night.  in the morning i took a photo of this older mh.  i tried to get the old cars and mh's that were out there.  

PICT0094_zps0aad1e85.jpg

we had some rain and we found a rainbow.  we could see both ends of it on the mountain side. this was actually the first of two complete rainbows we saw on our trip.

PICT0107_zps6b1a848b.jpg  PICT0115_zps5433ba73.jpg

yup-we went back to a class c.  it was a nice truck camper but, after having a class c--there were things we missed.  like me being able to go back and use the bathroom and not having to stop.  lol  we looked at A's and other C's but, finally found this one and so far it is great for us.  not too big (the seneca was bigger than we needed) and yet there is a good amount of room for us.  so far we are really happy with it.

i also have to say--slow cookers are awesome.  i used it for about 4 meals and it really worked out great.  we like to keep going until we can't and having the meal done when we were was wonderful.  

other than disney we really never plan out our trips.  we just make sure our water is always full and figure we can sleep almost anywhere.  

the next leg of our trip was going from wyoming into idaho and into washington.

these 3 were waiting for us on the hwy and luckily stayed right where they were.

PICT0124_zps8a742225.jpg

we had some snow/sleet while in the higher elevations.  nothing us wisconsinites can't handle. it is definitely beautiful out here..

PICT0132_zpsd5df77a0.jpg  PICT0138_zps9ff12b11.jpg

this was a really pretty area.  C'oeur d'Alene, Idaho just before Washington-i could live here. 

PICT0164_zpsa18988f8.jpg  PICT0159_zps3966c541.jpg

it was pretty out here but, the winds picked up something fierce.  blowing from every direction so we took a break once we crossed into Washington at a camping world.  it was a nice short break and we were able to take the dogs into the store to give them a break, too.  i took this picture of a tree on their lot.  just one of those things you can't wait for in spring--flowers.

PICT0166_zps0c8fc737.jpg

not real sure about this.. i know it is still in washington but not sure if it something growing for wine- as wine is everywhere along the coast out there.

PICT0170_zps2a5594e7.jpg 

trains are always neat to see..

PICT0172_zps7c79afde.jpg  PICT0173_zps34011cf3.jpg

our first goal was to see mt. st. helen and mt. ranier.  but, to see them it has to be a clear day and we would have to drive a few hours to each to get near them.  with the weather we had in the mountains in idaho-i decided to look online at their web cams.  there was still quite a bit of snow on the roads into the area.  we decided with the weather still being iffy and the time constriction we would just continue on our journey.  we really did want to stop and see them but, it just wasn't worth driving in to find out we wouldn't see either of them or the roads might be bad.  so, off we go---

PICT0174_zpsa04a87b3.jpg  PICT0177_zps9aea644a.jpg  PICT0179_zpsa0c833aa.jpg

the tunnel in the mountain for the train to go through..

PICT0194_zps87180de7.jpg  PICT0199_zps70ea8640.jpg

the columbia river is just beautiful.  we drove along the oregon side-looking at the washington side. this picture shows a train track that part of it lifts to allow barges, etc to go under it.

PICT0201_zps6ae6441b.jpg  PICT0206_zps8588e92b.jpg

PICT0208_zps1c12ad85.jpg

some houses on the river...

PICT0210_zps25651afe.jpg

just some pics of the scenery.  it was so green out there.  i don't mean just green-the trees were a very vibrant green.

PICT0223_zps3bcb4d46.jpg  PICT0235_zpsfa6850f5.jpg

a waterfall..

PICT0241_zps0f65101d.jpg  PICT0242_zpsdcfab422.jpg

a little history of oregon and the view from this point.

PICT0245_zps243b3f6e.jpg  PICT0246_zps367bc4b8.jpg

we headed toward portland, or.  it was a busy city but neat to drive thru.

PICT0247_zps0c2cbd6c.jpg  PICT0250_zpse87ef682.jpg  PICT0252_zps71ac663d.jpg

i wasn't able to catch the pic i wanted to get. but, these cables are for an airial tram. it wasn't something we expected to see and was really a neat idea for a large city like this.

PICT0258_zpscd0b24d5.jpg

and of course there are a lot of old beetles out there and some older mh's.

PICT0259_zps8f3aab31.jpg  PICT0260_zps7248bd8e.jpg

this is our drive over to hwy 101 about midway thru oregon.

PICT0266_zpsac3c5ab3.jpg  PICT0280_zps46e26cce.jpg

this was another train track but this bridge turned to allow the boats, barges thru.

PICT0289_zpseacdcb66.jpg

another bridge.  there are so many bridges out there and they are all so different-just something i am intrigued with..

PICT0291_zps21ca3bed.jpg

we headed in toward florence, or.  according to my favorite website there is a really neat old soda fountain restaurant. so, we stopped-it had old cars inside and on the outside of the building.  lots of pics of old cars on the walls.  we got malts and onion rings and took a look around.  unfortunately i don't have any pics on here--so, just imagine it.  it was a nice stop and a great malt!  

finally!  we made it to the pacific ocean!  we took hwy 101 down into california and it was a great ride--esp in oregon.

PICT0298_zps44ebda9b.jpg

we stopped at an oregon state park-not sure which one this is. but, these yellow flowering plants were all over.

PICT0306_zps24a5e0dc.jpg

and if you travel to oregon--you can not pump your own gas.  these gas pumpers have to go through a 3 day? course to be certified to pump fuel.  

PICT0311_zpsff4aded2.jpg

another ocean pic..

PICT0318_zps5a87bb8d.jpg

this is one of the state parks with camping.  it wasn't on the ocean side-but the ocean was right across the road.  we thought about stopping here since there wasn't anyone here. but, it was still kinda early so we continued.  i'm not sure the name of this one-i normally take a pic of the entrance sign and didn't.  but, i will say-all the oregon state parks we looked at were really nice.  

PICT0326_zps68d140af.jpg  PICT0327_zps95560c67.jpg

on a whim we decided we needed to go on vacation.

Wow, I wonder what you all consider to be a big decision. :). In my house, "whims" ar typically categorized by McDonald's vs Burger King.

Your pics are awesome. Really astounds me how much cool stuff is out there, that I didn't even know existed.

we put on 5,200 miles on this trip.  the new to us mh was awesome and we really  never had any complaints about anything in it the whole time.  i'm sure most of you know how a new camper always has something you have to complain about.  but, i think we got this one right.  

we like to operate on whims... lol