• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes... we're having a lot of fun :)

I think it's a great color, just not for a truck :D Go Vols!

To me, a buyback is the same thing as a lemon. Will they disclose the reason for the buyback? Also, if it is a buyback, it probably will decrease its resell value. Just a thought. For GMC, I have not

Ok so now her husband has read the comments and yes thanks to those who say I should get a boat thank you. I have been telling NaCole we need a boat. H2ODivers I am coming over to go boating wooohoooo. I grew up with a boat and loved spending time on the water. 

As for the truck comments I made the serious mistake of driving a 2011 Ford F250 6.7L. I drove a 2011 Ram 2500 a day earlier and after I drove the 6.7L Ford I drove the 6.4L Ford and was truly disappointed. I think the 6.7L was incredible. I could only imagine pulling my camper with it. The drawbacks are the prices. So the search continues. A comment I made to NaCole was I don't want to get something and regret my decision i would rather spend a little more money and get what I need/want. Thank you for the input. 

Anyone want to go boat shopping with me now?????? LOL....

I will throw this out there my monthly note went up $270.00 a month from my 6.0 to my 6.7 but due to better mpg and no repair bills on the truck I am actually coming out a little better with my 6.7. Although I am at 32,000 miles now and I have a litter over 3 months to decide if I want the extended warranty and it's around $2500.00 so if I take it my gain will be gone but if I don't it could be worse.

Ok I will add my notes, we towed with a 05 F350 dually 2wd for almost 9 years and never got stuck anywhere with it, it was a fair weather truck basically only used to tow the campers. Only once did it break down and not with the normal 6.0 problems and was back up in a day to continue our trip, thanks to the great Ford dealer in Sterling Ky. As most know here we went to a extremely large tow vehicle now but if I was to go back to a pick up it would be the newer Fords. Not pushing a brand new truck but sometimes with better offers and lower interest rates the numbers might not be that bad. Good luck and I do think that all 3 brands are good just each in their own way.

Ok I will add my notes, we towed with a 05 F350 dually 2wd for almost 9 years and never got stuck anywhere with it, it was a fair weather truck basically only used to tow the campers. Only once did it break down and not with the normal 6.0 problems and was back up in a day to continue our trip, thanks to the great Ford dealer in Sterling Ky. As most know here we went to a extremely large tow vehicle now but if I was to go back to a pick up it would be the newer Fords. Not pushing a brand new truck but sometimes with better offers and lower interest rates the numbers might not be that bad. Good luck and I do think that all 3 brands are good just each in their own way.

Personally, I like Ford.  Tom does too... but he is open to other manufacturers.  I don't think we'd purchase a dually as we have no plans to purchase a different/bigger trailer so I don't think we'd ever need that extra power.  

Does anyone know if gas mileage is better on one:  2wd vs 4wd?

For the 2015's gas models we have been looking at the 2X4 get better mileage than the 4X4 and have a lower price (assuming everything else equal). I'm don't think the mpg difference is enough to not buy a 4X4 if was equipped and at a price we wanted. I suspect it will be the same with diesels.  

Donna and I have lived with a 6.4L for six and half years.  With the exception of a high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) failure and the need to replace the whole fuel system at 103,000 miles to the tune of $10,034 plus some odd cents thrown in back in December 2013, it's been a good truck even though it may fail today as we travel/tow to Two Harbors, MN.  So you say you want a diesel.  Are you prepared for the expense of maintaining a new 2007 certified emission diesel?  If you do your own work on the truck, you're probably OK.  If not, be aware and be prepared.  The days (circa 1967) of $19.95 for a fuel pump and an hour in the driveway to replace it are long gone.  If you haven't done so already, I suggest you get on the Cummins, Duramax, and Ford forums and start reading.  (I'd bet you have.)  Good luck!  David

PS: for those who will ask, the hpfp did rust out.  We speculate that when we got a "green wrench" light in September 2009, we may have gotten some water in the fuel that eventually led to the rust out of the aluminum hpfp.  Apparently, only I see the disconnect where NASA uses aluminum because it doesn't corrode, Ford makes an aluminum body truck because aluminum doesn't corrode, and GM puts an aluminum bumpers behind the corvette's facias because aluminum doesn't corrode, but apparently only Ford has aluminum fuel pump that corrodes.

2wd will generally get a little better mileage because it will weigh a few hundred pounds less. Although that could be negated if gear ratio is different between the 2wd and 4wd models

Sent from my iPhone

Donna and I have lived with a 6.4L for six and half years.  With the exception of a high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) failure and the need to replace the whole fuel system at 103,000 miles to the tune of $10,034 plus some odd cents thrown in back in December 2013, it's been a good truck even though it may fail today as we travel/tow to Two Harbors, MN.  So you say you want a diesel.  Are you prepared for the expense of maintaining a new 2007 certified emission diesel?  If you do your own work on the truck, you're probably OK.  If not, be aware and be prepared.  The days (circa 1967) of $19.95 for a fuel pump and an hour in the driveway to replace it are long gone.  If you haven't done so already, I suggest you get on the Cummins, Duramax, and Ford forums and start reading.  (I'd bet you have.)  Good luck!  David

PS: for those who will ask, the hpfp did rust out.  We speculate that when we got a "green wrench" light in September 2009, we may have gotten some water in the fuel that eventually led to the rust out of the aluminum hpfp.  Apparently, only I see the disconnect where NASA uses aluminum because it doesn't corrode, Ford makes an aluminum body truck because aluminum doesn't corrode, and GM puts an aluminum bumpers behind the corvette's facias because aluminum doesn't corrode, but apparently only Ford has aluminum fuel pump that corrodes.

Aluminum has good corrosion resistance as long as the aluminum oxide coating is in tact. If the aluminum is in an environment that does not allow for its formation or that damages it aluminum will corrode. There are also some reports that indicate that bio-diesel is more likely to cause corrosion in aluminum fuel system components than petroleum based diesel.

Donna and I have lived with a 6.4L for six and half years. With the exception of a high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) failure and the need to replace the whole fuel system at 103,000 miles to the tune of $10,034 plus some odd cents thrown in back in December 2013, it's been a good truck even though it may fail today as we travel/tow to Two Harbors, MN. So you say you want a diesel. Are you prepared for the expense of maintaining a new 2007 certified emission diesel? If you do your own work on the truck, you're probably OK. If not, be aware and be prepared. The days (circa 1967) of $19.95 for a fuel pump and an hour in the driveway to replace it are long gone. If you haven't done so already, I suggest you get on the Cummins, Duramax, and Ford forums and start reading. (I'd bet you have.) Good luck! David

PS: for those who will ask, the hpfp did rust out. We speculate that when we got a "green wrench" light in September 2009, we may have gotten some water in the fuel that eventually led to the rust out of the aluminum hpfp. Apparently, only I see the disconnect where NASA uses aluminum because it doesn't corrode, Ford makes an aluminum body truck because aluminum doesn't corrode, and GM puts an aluminum bumpers behind the corvette's facias because aluminum doesn't corrode, but apparently only Ford has aluminum fuel pump that corrodes.

Thank you. Tom has brought up the maintenance expense of a diesel. He has researched it a great bit and the idea does NOT thrill us. The reason we are looking at diesel trucks, is their ability to tow. We hope to do some mountain trips and don't want to be caught in those, "oh crap" moments. We had a brief peak into this, this last trip over small hills (mixed in with short mileage with a decent climb); we were afraid that we were going to blow our transmission. If we could find a super strong, awesome towing gas truck, that could plow over mountains... we'd most definitely go that way!

If I were looking to trade TV right now and I am not, it would be a gas model, largest engine available,3.70 rear ratio, 3500 series, single or dual depending on trailer and 2 wheel drive. No power windows or security system. I want a basic truck with ac and cruise control. NO I would not buy an older high millage diesel.

If I were looking to trade TV right now and I am not, it would be a gas model, largest engine available,3.70 rear ratio, 3500 series, single or dual depending on trailer and 2 wheel drive. No power windows or security system. I want a basic truck with ac and cruise control. NO I would not buy an older high millage diesel.

As to the diesel or gas argument. On our trip to the Chicago area I had the opportunity to talk with a couple of the full timers and was surprised that they had gone with gas engines for their class C and smaller class A RV's. They had diesel rigs previously but decided to go back to gas for not just the service costs but being able to get the vehicle repaired. They said the advantage of the Ford V10's they had was they could go to just about any Ford dealer or other repair business and get parts and service where as with the diesels they had a harder time finding someplace that could work on them. It probably isn't that big of a deal in more populated areas but out in the wide expanses I could see this being a problem.

If I could have any truck it would be a 2006 or early 2007 Chevy\GMG 1 ton. You get the pre-emission Duramax motor with the 6 speed Allison transmission....that is the holy grail to me.

If you can find one that has decent miles and hasn't been bastardized with tuners, lifts, tires, pipes, gauges it's worth a hard look. And if it's close to you and you pass on it, send me the details :D

I am one who doesn't understand why people talk about extra cost of maintenance on a newer diesel. I change my oil about once per year, when the truck tell me to, and yes it costs a little more...but it's once per year. I have to add DEF to my truck, I add it 1 gallon at a time and do that a couple times a year at the tune of $12/gallon (yes I know I can find it cheaper). I also have to do fuel filters about once a year, and that is in the $60 range.

So far in the last 12 months I have done 2 oil changes, front diff oil, rear diff oil, transfer case oil for a total of $259.27. I am due for fuel filters so that number will go up about $60, but I don't have anything after that until the next oil change that should be around 2/2016.

As to the diesel or gas argument. On our trip to the Chicago area I had the opportunity to talk with a couple of the full timers and was surprised that they had gone with gas engines for their class C and smaller class A RV's. They had diesel rigs previously but decided to go back to gas for not just the service costs but being able to get the vehicle repaired. They said the advantage of the Ford V10's they had was they could go to just about any Ford dealer or other repair business and get parts and service where as with the diesels they had a harder time finding someplace that could work on them. It probably isn't that big of a deal in more populated areas but out in the wide expanses I could see this being a problem.

Ford stopped putting the V10 in the Pickup truck at the end of 2010. I traded a 2009 V10 in on a 2011 Diesel, and couldn't be happier. Primarily for fuel efficiency reasons, but I will certainly give the V10 a positive vote, as it pulled our 9800# TT very well, across several large East Coast mountains. As I have said in other posts, the stupidity of Ford to put a 26 gallon tank in a full size truck, especially when towing less than it's stated capacity and am getting 6-7 mpg, you realize you are stopping every 120-130 miles for gas. All of the add on fuel tanks and replacement tanks are for Diesel only. So, I would carry a 5 gallon gas can in my truck bed "just in case".  I did receive an email from Titan Tanks recently stating they have a 15 gallon in bed wheel well saddle fuel tank ,available this summer, that is designed and approved for gas, but you would still have to stop and pump/siphon the gas into the primary tank. 

Bottom line I would think you could consider a gas truck as an option as long as you aware of some of the challenges.

Ford stopped putting the V10 in the Pickup truck at the end of 2010. I traded a 2009 V10 in on a 2011 Diesel, and couldn't be happier. Primarily for fuel efficiency reasons, but I will certainly give the V10 a positive vote, as it pulled our 9800# TT very well, across several large East Coast mountains. As I have said in other posts, the stupidity of Ford to put a 26 gallon tank in a full size truck, especially when towing less than it's stated capacity and am getting 6-7 mpg, you realize you are stopping every 120-130 miles for gas. All of the add on fuel tanks and replacement tanks are for Diesel only. So, I would carry a 5 gallon gas can in my truck bed "just in case".  I did receive an email from Titan Tanks recently stating they have a 15 gallon in bed wheel well saddle fuel tank ,available this summer, that is designed and approved for gas, but you would still have to stop and pump/siphon the gas into the primary tank. 

Bottom line I would think you could consider a gas truck as an option as long as you aware of some of the challenges.

I agree about the small standard tank. In the 2015 F150 a 23 gal tank is standard, roughly the same size as we have in our Explorer. Having dealt with the smaller tank with it one of the items I am looking at in the F150 is the 36 gal. tank option.

Looks to have a lift kit installed. I agree with LoneStar, stay away from lift kits if towing.

Okay...forgive the naive question but, can you "un-lift" it?  I think they look silly up high...but I'm guessing there is a "real" reason that it's bad...

If I could have any truck it would be a 2006 or early 2007 Chevy\GMG 1 ton. You get the pre-emission Duramax motor with the 6 speed Allison transmission....that is the holy grail to me.

If you can find one that has decent miles and hasn't been bastardized with tuners, lifts, tires, pipes, gauges it's worth a hard look. And if it's close to you and you pass on it, send me the details :D

I am one who doesn't understand why people talk about extra cost of maintenance on a newer diesel. I change my oil about once per year, when the truck tell me to, and yes it costs a little more...but it's once per year. I have to add DEF to my truck, I add it 1 gallon at a time and do that a couple times a year at the tune of $12/gallon (yes I know I can find it cheaper). I also have to do fuel filters about once a year, and that is in the $60 range.

So far in the last 12 months I have done 2 oil changes, front diff oil, rear diff oil, transfer case oil for a total of $259.27. I am due for fuel filters so that number will go up about $60, but I don't have anything after that until the next oil change that should be around 2/2016.

Break one and see if you still have that opinion.  Have a high pressure fuel pump come apart on you and watch (in my case) as they take the cab off and keep the truck two and a half weeks while they replace the whole fuel system.  In the meantime, work with a campground owner who wants you gone, but there's no one willing to loan you a truck so you can move your trailer (it ain't like I wanted to be there, either). (Can't count on Good Sam, either. Your off the road & safe - they wash their hands of you.)   BTW, next time you're at a dealer, go to parts and have them price a new high pressure fuel pump for you.  I think mine was about $4,000.  Just the pump...  Still want to go with new diesels are all that inexpensive?

We're a 2009 F450 with the 19.5 inch wheels.  It's our only vehicle (we're full timers - we consider the truck part of our house.).  Oil changes run $110 and done about every 4,000 miles.  Fuel filters about $200 or so and done every 8,000 miles.  Oil changes are about every two months with the fuel filters every other oil change - all done on mileage.  We're a pre DEF truck, so all dpf cleans are by heat (and lots of it).  Don't do those oil changes on time and you run the risk of fuel dilution of the oil which I'm told isn't all that good for your engine. (According to people posting on the www.thedieselstop.com forum, things like dropped valves, broken rockers, etc)  I haven't done that, yet, but I know it's out there.

Next time you're out and at a tire store, see if they have 19.5 inch, G rated truck tires in stock.  Not likely.  Had a problem getting duals replaced in Portland, OR.  Had to settle for Michellins XSEs they found in town (that's $500 per tire for 4 tires & not many people I know keep much that in their checking account).  Two years later a ford dealer outside Atlanta got us two of the same tires in about half a day ( at $525/tire).  But in the store ready to go - nope.

Man, that's more money on oil changes & tires than we paid for our 2000 C-5 corvette, and you consider that low costs???  David