Richard Petty Demo & MK Parking Expansion

• 7 months later...

Disney files plans to overhaul Magic Kingdom parking entrance

Resident permit spotter, danlb_2000, recently spotted some plans filed with the state by Disney to overhaul the Magic Kingdom parking lot entrance. Here’s the main plan of interest.

world drive extension_exhibit_4_27_2016-page-001

A closer look at the area in question.

world drive extension_exhibit_4_27_2016-page-001-2

It appears that Disney wants to build a flyover of sorts to allow for bus and resort traffic to bypass the toll booths and just continue onto northbound World Drive that would take you to the Magic Kingdom resort areas.

Another diagram shows what appears to be a new entrance to the Magic Kingdom parking lot itself. We can see below that one of the proposed roadways actually leads to the back of the old speedway.

new entrance parking lot-page-001

The area that this leads to is currently undeveloped. Disney has not commented on any plans, but this early in the planning process, we wouldn’t expect them to. No word on when this work would be started or completed.

http://blogmickey.com/2016/05/disney-files-plans-overhaul-magic-kingdom-parking-entrance/

Thanks for the update, Mo.

I always figured that none of this would be a big deal for me, and I guess it still isn't.

But, the scope of this project is huge.

I wasn't really understanding the photos you posted, so I copied one and turned it so is was oriented to the north:

new%20mk%20entrance%20plan_zpsfgh6j1vx.j

And, for comparison, let's look at a Google Maps view of what is there now:

Mk%20parking%20entrance%20current_zpswfq

That pond shown on the plans to the right of the MK parking toll booths is new.  And it looks like they are going to take away the ability to turn right onto Vista Drive after passing through the toll booths.  It looks like all traffic through those booths will dump into the MK parking lot.  To turn toward the Fort, we will need to stay on World Drive and take that loop around the other new pond.

I guess that I won't be having the race anymore Disney buses and other assorted slowpokes to the toll booths when this is all done.

TCD

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for the update, Mo.

I always figured that none of this would be a big deal for me, and I guess it still isn't.

But, the scope of this project is huge.

I wasn't really understanding the photos you posted, so I copied one and turned it so is was oriented to the north:

new%20mk%20entrance%20plan_zpsfgh6j1vx.j

And, for comparison, let's look at a Google Maps view of what is there now:

Mk%20parking%20entrance%20current_zpswfq

To turn toward the Fort, we will need to stay on World Drive and take that loop around the other new pond.

I guess that I won't be having the race anymore Disney buses and other assorted slowpokes to the toll booths when this is all done.

TCD

It looks like you will be able to take Ramp D directly to Vista Blvd.  Should be a nice improvement; but it is a massive project for that area.  

22 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

It looks like you will be able to take Ramp D directly to Vista Blvd.  Should be a nice improvement; but it is a massive project for that area.  

Oh- I didn't notice that Ramp D.  I think you're right, it will be east of that new pond.  It looks like you will exit onto that ramp before hitting the MK toll booths.

19 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

And while it's going on, best to enter the Fort the other way

AMEN!  Hopefully, they will finish all of that mess going on over by Old Key West before they break ground on this project.

TCD

5 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Ha!  I have had that same race many times, it was always a poorly thought out design.

6 hours ago, Travisma said:

Yeah, the old speedway area will be the $20 parking, and all of the current parking will be tiered premium. 

$35 up front, $30 midway, and $25 close to the riff-raff.

I mentioned on another thread that it seems like Disney is going to start hyping the premium parking passes and slowly doing away with the regular passes, or at least not enforce them nearly as much.

I could see different booths set up to sell different levels of parking.  Then do what they used to do for AAA parking, station a CM at the turnoffs for the higher end lots to check your golden passes to see if you qualify for beautiful-people parking   B)

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2015 at 10:01 AM, WannaBeImagineer said:

I don't know if anyone has posted the plan for the old racetrack so since I found it this morning I thought I'd share.

Sadly its not that exciting, they are demoing pretty much everything except the ponds.

Existing:

Pages%20from%20mkgpe_engrpt%201.jpg

Zoom of the demo plan:

Zoom of the parking lot expansion plan:

Like I said not very exciting, but I still wanted to share.

WBI

Little know fact....long before the track held the Richard Petty thing and shortly after the track was built there was a motocross track built in that grassy area to the right of the not so hidden Mickey. They held a race or two then shut it down.

3 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Little know fact....long before the track held the Richard Petty thing and shortly after the track was built there was a motocross track built in that grassy area to the right of the not so hidden Mickey. They held a race or two then shut it down.

Go figure!  Once again I've learned something new here.  :)

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:12 PM, ImDownWithDisney said:

That is a little known fact alright.  It's not something I recall ever hearing about.

Was it only for pros to use, or were guests able to ride on the motocross track?

TCD

14 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That is a little known fact alright.  It's not something I recall ever hearing about.

Was it only for pros to use, or were guests able to ride on the motocross track?

TCD

It wasn't pro only, but I don't think they had open practice or anything. There are several tracks around the country that are only open a few times a year for a race. In the downtime the tracks are off limits or even leveled. I think this was the case with the track at Disney.