A Tale of Two Holidays

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday, November 23 and Tuesday, November 24

Had a quick breakfast in Dolly.  While David finished up some outside packing, I took a last spin on DeeDee.

One last trip down the Path of Awesomeness:

DSC_0958_zpsxqrndcuj.jpg

DSC_0960_zps4wzvahd3.jpg

DSC_0961_zpshufbb8pb.jpg

DSC_0962_zpsf6apx7by.jpg

DSC_0963_zpskg73et86.jpg

DSC_0964_zpsc5spdhnp.jpg

We pulled away from the Fort later than usual.  Decided to take the long way around and go out the main entrance.  It was a nice 74 degrees when we left.

DSC_0969_zpsiet52wj5.jpg

DSC_0975_zpsfvuey8nj.jpg

DSC_0977_zpsf6udchas.jpg

DSC_0981_zpshsfgjdca.jpg

DSC_0983_zpsthndgleu.jpg

DSC_0984_zpszw9uwvy0.jpg

I wonder what those people in those expensive rooms think of their view of the overflow lot:

DSC_0986_zpshqcmr60r.jpg

DSC_0991_zpsycp6o4d6.jpg

DSC_0993_zpszkksvoee.jpg

DSC_0995_zpsitpb5clt.jpg

DSC_0996_zpserzwqvsc.jpg

DSC_0998_zpsalroqlxq.jpg

DSC_1000_zpsv5kgfrmp.jpg

I'm happy I got one last picture of this before it is removed:

DSC_1001_zpspg0pkvjn.jpg

DSC_1002_zpskqnuhbar.jpg

And all too soon we saw:

DSC_1003_zpsus5bl3rc.jpg

We were both sad to leave.  Usually I go by the bus stop and am jealous seeing the people waiting for transportation to the parks.  But this day I couldn't be jealous.  I knew most of these people were just at the Fort for a week or so.  And we were so incredibly blessed to be able to spend four weeks here.

We spent the night in Savannah.  It had been such a long day that I was too tired to eat dinner.

Up early the next morning.  It was 36 degrees.  Brrr!  Stopped in Orangeburg, SC, for breakfast.  Then we decided to stop in Columbia for a few gallons of diesel.  We got on the wrong road and wasted considerable time.  But something amazing happened.

I'm gonna share something very personal here with you all.  I pray  that something good will come out of it for the strangers I met.

We pulled into the gas station.  It was one of those with a fast food restaurant attached.  I got out of Dolly and headed to the door.  There was a young couple sitting on the sidewalk.  As I passed by them, she told me I looked like I was in pain.  I explained that we had been in Florida and that the cold weather was really making my arthritic joints hurt.   They expressed their sympathy for my condition, and we chatted for awhile.  They went on to tell me they had lost everything in the flood and were living in their car.  I told them I wished them well and hoped things turned around for them, and then I went inside to use the restroom.

While I was inside, the Lord very clearly gave me instructions to give this couple a certain amount of money.  It wasn't huge -- an amount I could clearly afford and would probably only feed them for a couple of days.  But it wouldn't make a dent in their overall needs.

So I went back to Dolly, got the money, and went back to them.  I said, "I know you didn't ask me for anything, but the Lord is telling me to give this to you."

They both immediately started crying.  He jumped up and asked me for a hug, and then she did too.  We chatted for a little while, and she told me she had just gotten a job at the adjoining DQ and was there to fill out the paperwork.  They told me a little bit about their background -- she was a Florida native, and he had been dreaming of going to WDW since he was ten years old.

Finally we got back on the road, and I shared with David what happened.  We both agreed that little detour was meant to be. 

I wish I had asked for their names.  I have been praying for this couple ever since this happened.  If you are so inclined, I'd appreciate your prayers for them too.  I was so blessed by the concern from two strangers. 

After a couple more stops, we finally made it home around 3:00.

Final Thoughts

Under normal conditions, I really believe four weeks at the Fort with an AP would allow us to experience everything on our wish list.

But we spent a week entertaining family and doing what they wanted to do at each park.  And babysitting where necessary to let the older kids to experience things they otherwise couldn't have done.

And much time was spent nursing Kassie.  For anyone who's interested, we are still nursing her.  She was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis several weeks ago.  It explains a lot, particularly the extreme megaesophagus.  We previously fed her twice a day.  Now we're feeding her five times a day, and each time I have to hold her vertically for a half hour.  We've been experimenting with different medications/food and finally in the last few days think we're reaching a breakthrough.

I know a lot of people would say she's just a dog and why put ourselves through this.  But she's truly a family member.  She's family, such a sweetheart, and a wonderful snuggler.  She lets me cry my tears into her fur and then shows me the little joys of life.  We will be lost without her.  Realistically she won't be with us next fall.  The Fort won't be the same without her.    

Since returning from WDW I've been diagnosed with arthritis in my spine.  So it looks like I'll be confined to my ECV, at least at WDW, for the rest of my life.

We are really looking forward to our upcoming trip in the fall.  We plan to spend four weeks there again.  The only downside is that, in order to use our APs again, we have to back up our trip by a month and won't be there for the Halloween GG.

Thank you all for reading along!

I love it when we get a chance to see God... especially in the "detours". 

Of course Kassie is a part of your family and no, the Fort won't be the same without her.  Praying you both joy and peace over this next year.

Thank you for the pictures; they always make me happy.  Thrilled to get the chance to see you both again this fall.  It will be a short trip for us (the standard week), but our trip won't be complete without at least a visit or two.  Maybe we can plan breakfast at TE?  How about October 8th at 9am?  Send me a FB msg on that one.

Love you my friend...

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 8:15 AM, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Tuesday, November 10

She is now wheelchair bound, has been in the hospital several times this year, and has lost at least 100 pounds.  But mentally she is doing great, and we really enjoyed seeing her.

These next few pictures are especially for Gretchen.  Jo had told me months earlier that she had a piece of china she was saving for me.  She said it was a piece of Czechoslovakian china that was brought over by early Moravian settlers in the 1700s.  This is it:

DSC_8886%20copy_zps3g7zf3a0.jpg

And the mark.  It's all blurry, and I can't read it.

DSC_8885%20copy_zpssoh1lrqw.jpg

I've done quite a bit of research since coming home and can't find anything out about this piece.  But I don't think it's nearly as old as Jo thinks it is.  If anyone has any info, I sure would appreciate it!

We took Kassie on another long buggy ride.  ClassAct (Mike) came by to say hello.  We always enjoy seeing him and his beautiful wife Susan.

Gwen, HA!  I'm on page 6  (I think)  and just read this.  Thanks for remembering me.  It's a pretty little piece of china.  I hope some day you find more info about it.  I can't make out the stamp either, even using a magnifying glass.  Maybe send what you know about it to Antiques Roadshow.

The vet you took Kassie to is where I worked as a kennel attendant back in the 80s.  There were 3 vets when I was there, Dr. Leland Simmons was the owner, he is now retired but helps out on occasion,  Dr. Susan Anderson and Dr. L.....something.  I loved how they picked each other brains if they were questioning a diagnoses, even calling out to other vets at schools they studied at.  Loved that they weren't too proud to ask for help.  The man in charge now, Dr. Jon Nash, came in as I left to be a mobile groomer, he was the Doogie Houser of the vet field.  So young and so smart.   He is Danielle's vet. 

I hope Kassie is doing much better, fingers crossed, as I haven't read farther yet.

Great report, Gwen.

Thank you so much for the time and effort you took writing it.  I enjoyed all of your excellent photos.

I am glad you shared the story about the couple you helped.  I also believe that there are no coincidences in life, and it's awesome that you blessed those folks.

When you have an update on that piece of china, I'd love to hear what you find out about it.

TCD

On 1/31/2016 at 8:11 PM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Maybe we can plan breakfast at TE?  How about October 8th at 9am?  Send me a FB msg on that one.

Thanks.  Messaged you on FB.

On 1/31/2016 at 10:27 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Very nice report Gwen. Loved reading about it, but a bit jealous, as we had to extremely shorten our trip last fall.

Sorry you had to shorten your trip.  Hopefully this fall you will be able to stay longer.

On 1/31/2016 at 9:42 AM, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Gwen, HA!  I'm on page 6  (I think)  and just read this.  Thanks for remembering me.  It's a pretty little piece of china.  I hope some day you find more info about it.  I can't make out the stamp either, even using a magnifying glass.  Maybe send what you know about it to Antiques Roadshow.

The vet you took Kassie to is where I worked as a kennel attendant back in the 80s.  There were 3 vets when I was there, Dr. Leland Simmons was the owner, he is now retired but helps out on occasion,  Dr. Susan Anderson and Dr. L.....something.  I loved how they picked each other brains if they were questioning a diagnoses, even calling out to other vets at schools they studied at.  Loved that they weren't too proud to ask for help.  The man in charge now, Dr. Jon Nash, came in as I left to be a mobile groomer, he was the Doogie Houser of the vet field.  So young and so smart.   He is Danielle's vet. 

I tried using a magnifying glass too, also with no luck.

I can't say enough good things about Sand Lake.  This wasn't the first time they treated Kassie.  They are expensive, but they're worth every penny.

19 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Finished!

What a wonderful trip report, thanks for taking your time to write it for us. 

Bet Kassie and you love the cuddle time and if it helps, all the better.

Thank you!  The cuddle time is getting old.  Since I have to hold her vertically, it's a little difficult.  But she loves it and it does make her feel better.

41 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Great report, Gwen.

Thank you so much for the time and effort you took writing it.  I enjoyed all of your excellent photos.

I am glad you shared the story about the couple you helped.  I also believe that there are no coincidences in life, and it's awesome that you blessed those folks.

When you have an update on that piece of china, I'd love to hear what you find out about it.

TCD

Thanks, TCD.  I think those people blessed me more than I did them.

Will let you know when I find out about the china.

On 1/28/2016 at 5:15 PM, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Wow that's an amazing picture of the castle with the reflection on the water very beautiful!

I

I agree! Gwen, your pictures of the castle were outstanding.  I really enjoyed your trip report, thanks so much for putting it together and sharing!