A Tale of Two Holidays

Tell David he needs to sit outside with you!!!  

I had almost forgot how pretty the Christmas decorations were... love those pics.

The barn, my happy place.  I'm one of those few people, who'll walk into a horse barn and actually inhale.  Yes... I love the smell.  Love everything about those animals.  Great pics!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I notice on these longer trips you are taking is that as the time goes on David seems to relax more. Steve is like that. I think initially it is so hard for them to go from work to vacation mode. But once they get there it is great to see the weight lifted off their shoulders.

Wow I really like the close up of Walt with a blurred castle in the background. I have never taken time to focus on his expression. The horse picture made me laugh out loud, great job.

Glad I made you laugh!

Tell David he needs to sit outside with you!!!  

I had almost forgot how pretty the Christmas decorations were... love those pics.

The barn, my happy place.  I'm one of those few people, who'll walk into a horse barn and actually inhale.  Yes... I love the smell.  Love everything about those animals.  Great pics!

David would rather sit inside watching the news.  But he did really enjoy the horse barn.

The one thing I notice on these longer trips you are taking is that as the time goes on David seems to relax more. Steve is like that. I think initially it is so hard for them to go from work to vacation mode. But once they get there it is great to see the weight lifted off their shoulders.

You're right!  I hadn't thought about that.  But since he only works part-time, I don't think it's because of leaving work mode.  He's usually exhausted by the time we finally get there, and it takes him awhile to recuperate.  The last couple of trips have been especially hard on him since my arthritis has gotten so bad.  I pack stuff in the house, but he has to do all the carrying up and down the stairs.  And this trip he spent the first few weeks fuming over the fact that he couldn't get Fox News or the Golf Channel on TV.

Thursday, November 19 -- Time to Celebrate!

This was my birthday, so I wore my ears and button.  This is my idea of a selfie:

DSC_0163_zpsoigtve2v.jpg

We had big plans for later in the day, and David again wanted to get out.  So we left the fort.

DSC_0166_zpsb3aofk6h.jpg

DSC_0169_zpsdnhy9udy.jpg

And where did we end up for breakfast?

DSC_0176_zpsaac3m0hq.jpg

Of all places!  But I agreed because I was looking forward to a delicious lunch at a place we'd never been.

We drove awhile and checked out Lake Magic before going to DHS and getting entertained by the locals.

STUDIO_HBKEYSTO_7523832780.jpeg_zpsmwvw3

DSC_0191_zps2j5l0bca.jpg

DSC_0282_zpsyrjbwpqi.jpg

DSC_0192_zpseormpku1.jpg

And, since it was my birthday, he agreed to see Beauty and the Beast with me.

DSC_0207_zpsy5abj3c9.jpg

DSC_0217_zpsf57batrt.jpg

DSC_0221_zps4rvtl9uk.jpg

DSC_0222_zpsogxpfztc.jpg

DSC_0232_zpsdoc9rilb.jpg

DSC_0238_zpskjciip1g.jpg

DSC_0246_zpsbkc3igja.jpg

DSC_0251_zpsu9qmw2im.jpg

DSC_0269_zpsii2qnvj6.jpg

After it was over, David said that's the best production show at WDW.  I was shocked!

Our next stop was Star Tours.  I think our host must have worked as a Jungle Cruise skipper at one time.  He dished out a bunch of corny jokes.

DSC_0304_zpsswgeowwf.jpg

We had a different ending this time.  It turns out they have 11 different films.  I had no idea.

Finally it was time for our late lunch/early dinner.  Where did I pick?

_DSC5726_zpseyldspxy.jpg

We were seated in about ten minutes at 2:05.

DSC_0327_zpsyzoc5ane.jpg

DSC_0328_zpswqohatkm.jpg

DSC_0332_zps9lzlgzmy.jpg

I ordered a Derby Margarita, and it and our bread came out in just a few minutes.

DSC_0336_zpsqqtjjjil.jpg

Then about 2:30 the waiter took our order.  At 3:00 our cobb salad finally arrived.

DSC_0344_zpshck1e3us.jpg

The salad was really good, although not quite what I expected.

Around 3:30 our entrees finally arrived.  David had the Grilled Wagyu Beef Burger with Gruyere Cheese, Pastrami, Heirloom Tomato, Avacoda, Fried Egg, on Toasted Brioche with Cognac Mustard Aioli and Steak Fries ($22).

DSC_0345_zpsmv6cgty5.jpg

He said it was really good, but it was so big that he couldn't begin to eat all of it.

Meanwhile I had the Lamb Two Ways --- Grilled Lamb Chop, Slow-Roasted Shredded Lamb Shank, Apple-Balsamic Sauce, and Butternut Squash Risotto ($42).  It was a dish worth of the Food Network before the waiter quickly poured the au jus over it.

DSC_0347_zpsppeuhe4h.jpg

Oh my, it was delicious!  I ate every bite.  After we finished our meal (and another long wait), our waiter brought me a dish of chef-made sugar free raspberry sorbet to celebrate my birthday.  It was so much better than what I get on Main Street!

DSC_0350_zps6dotnoqq.jpg

The entire meal took 2.5 hours.  We weren't happy with that.  We were really disappointed in the kitchen service.  Our table was tiny for two people and was crammed too close against other tables -- maybe 18" in between tables.  On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the best), we rated HBD as this:

Atmosphere                      3

Service (from kitchen)      2

Waiter                              7

Food                                9

Overall value                   6

We are very happy that we finally ate here.  But we probably won't go back.  Maybe to the outdoor lounge.

Turned in the rental car and got a ride back to the Fort.  By then it was raining.  We took Kassie for a buggy ride and took pics up in the Settlement area.

DSC_0367_zpstxql4jnk.jpg

DSC_0371_zps6bbhvzwj.jpg

DSC_0372_zpsobotphcu.jpg

DSC_0377_zpsklkgzbsj.jpg

Mercy David is surprising the socks off you..and the rest of us, go figure. I like your birthday ears as well.

Yes, he does surprise me every once in awhile!

I've had those birthday ears since 2009, and I wear them every birthday.  Even if I'm just sitting at home.

Happy belated birthday.

That slow service at the Brown Derby would have driven me nuts.  If Disney is going to charge premium prices the food and the service needs to be premium too.  I'm glad at least the food was good.

TCD

It drove us nuts too.  And the restaurant wasn't even full.  I can't imagine how bad it would have been had they been slammed.

Friday, November 20

I woke up thinking about in only three days we would have to leave the Fort.  The month flew by all too quickly!

After a trip to the laundry and cooking breakfast, we went to MK.

DSC_0392_zps92nkcsrm.jpg

First up was Peter Pan's Flight.  And now I'm gonna show you some picture fails.  No matter what settings or equipment I use, I just can't get decent pics in here.

DSC_0398_zpsuip7bpwm.jpg

DSC_0405_zpsikzdsxvw.jpg

DSC_0410_zpsiekxxrl8.jpg

DSC_0413_zpsahugwy4a.jpg

And next was another trip on 7DMT.

DSC_0435%20copy_zpstkphq7f4.jpg

DSC_0436%20copy_zpsjb7esvqj.jpg

DSC_0438%20copy_zps3ixdfjzc.jpg

DSC_0445_zps2fr6ekk8.jpg

Then another trip through the Haunted Mansion.

DSC_0453_zpsfbofwngg.jpg

DSC_0458%20copy_zpsrrjv6obp.jpg

DSC_0461%20copy_zpsc2d2lepl.jpg

DSC_0463_zpsjjojzo8l.jpg

We headed back down Main Street and back to Dolly to start packing up.

DSC_0482_zpsjklulahv.jpg

DSC_0483_zpsbp0uvna3.jpg

DSC_0487_zpsa9qrrral.jpg

By that point our big awning was dry, so we retracted it.  Moved our soggy rugs around to try and dry them out ... anything else we could do to keep our "packup" things dry.

We went to TE for dinner again and were disappointed in our meal. 

DSC_0497_zpsskt58aki.jpg

The fried chicken was dry and stringy.  There was no pulled pork or watermelon salad.  I ate way too many carbs.

After dinner we took Kassie looping for awhile.

DSC_0512_zpsjmkywxut.jpg

DSC_0513_zpsupx9xz0y.jpg

DSC_0514_zpsxkyyftmw.jpg

DSC_0516_zps4detdmbm.jpg

Saturday, November 21

Rain was predicted to arrive later in the day, so we had breakfast bars and started packing away more things that couldn't get wet.

Eventually we went over to EPCOT, hoping to see their Christmas decorations that weren't up on our last visit.  We took the boat to the MK.

%7Boption%7D

Saturday, November 21

Rain was predicted to arrive later in the day, so we had breakfast bars and started packing away more things that couldn't get wet.

Eventually we went over to EPCOT, hoping to see their Christmas decorations that weren't up on our last visit.  We took the boat to the MK.

DSCN2079_zps1dgkwija.jpg

Then we rode the monorail over to EPCOT.

DSCN2084_zpskfelvjrz.jpg

Total travel time?  40 minutes.  Twice that of driving but half that of our last bus trip.

DSCN2094_zpsxue9ufxw.jpg

DSCN2096_zpsfhnjdbxp.jpg

We rode Spaceship Earth one last time and then went part of the way around the World Showcase.

DSCN2106_zpsk6cg9uib.jpg

Our first stop was Mexico.

DSCN2110_zpssryjwzn0.jpg

DSCN2111_zpslwtl8ro5.jpg

The performers sang "Happy Birthday" to me and three others.

DSCN2122_zpsbfxwm9bx.jpg

Other than the American Adventure, which is always awesome, my favorite decorations were in Norway.

DSCN2114_zpsgwvtfyzh.jpg

DSCN2116_zpsf2ag4vpy.jpg

I got a great deal on a jacket there:

DSCN2074_zpsvvbtjz82.jpg

Then it was time for our ADR, so we made our way back to Canada.

DSCN2139_zpshf9b3awg.jpg

DSCN2141_zpsrvjeix5c.jpg

We split a romaine salad, which was really good.

DSCN2153_zpshjidqs3p.jpg

We also split the cheese soup, which didn't taste at all like cheese.  It was just okay.

DSCN2155_zpstd8pwi60.jpg

Then we split the filet mignon, which was great as usual.  David had the risotto, and I had a side of green beans.  Both were severely undercooked.  The risotto was hard, and the green beans were so leathery I could barely chew them.

After we finished our meal, the server brought me maple creme brulee.

DSCN2158_zpsvtkh7aaf.jpg

And then we went around the rest of WS.

DSCN2162_zpsqmty65ex.jpg

DSCN2163_zpsso6t67dg.jpg

DSCN2166_zpsexcwtli7.jpg

DSCN2168_zpsoo3g3mlu.jpg

DSCN2171_zpsblkdkkkg.jpg

DSCN2172_zpsgohqp6ku.jpg

DSCN2179_zpsbkjj9wyn.jpg

DSCN2181_zpsofk8shja.jpg

DSCN2189_zpscx5bvyfv.jpg

We took a bus back to the Fort (30 minutes).  I hadn't anticipated being out so late and didn't bring the light for my scooter.  It was really hard to see the sidewalk.

After we fed Kassie, we all took a buggy ride.

DSC_0524_zps6tenp3l9.jpg

DSC_0527_zps59npcjtn.jpg

DSC_0529_zpserrsci0d.jpg

DSC_0537_zpscedprovx.jpg

Rain started about 8:30.  It was nice going to sleep hearing it hit the roof.

Sunday, November 22 -- Part 1

Only one more day to enjoy WDW.  Actually just part of the day since we had so much to do getting ready to leave the next morning.  I thought about all things we hadn't had time to do.  It just didn't seem possible that four weeks had flown by.  In some ways it felt like we had been there forever, but in other ways it seemed like we had just arrived. 

We had a last breakfast at Trail's End.  The front porch was bare, as it had been during the entire trip.

DSC_0540_zps5p0ruapf.jpg

The buffet had been condensed, I guess in anticipation of the arriving holiday crowd.  There was a divider in the center:

DSC_0557_zpsqbk8w5es.jpg

The food was basically the same on each side, so they significantly cut down the number of different items they were serving.

After breakfast we took Kassie on a buggy ride.

DSC_0562_zpswqfnv1gv.jpg

We ran across this unique RV.  I'd heard about them but never actually seen one.

DSC_0558_zpsvl8qhred.jpg

DSC_0561_zpsboxk1ebs.jpg

Our tradition is to always spend our last day in the MagicKingdom, so we hopped on a boat.

DSC_0564_zpsjueehrtw.jpg

The shoe tree had a lot more shoes on it than the day we arrived.

DSC_0568_zpssk5rxqbr.jpg

DSC_0571_zpsghvkxhpm.jpg

DSC_0572_zpstwvzo9hx.jpg

DSC_0574_zps81e6pel0.jpg

DSC_0575_zpsrgcca20p.jpg

Whoa!  Did you catch anything odd in those RC pictures?  I didn't see them either the first few times I saw the pics.  Let's look at them again!

DSC_0571%20with%20oval_zpsloiatg4e.jpg

DSC_0572%20with%20oval_zpstps8ueew.jpg

DSC_0574%20with%20oval_zpstnvuu2rl.jpg

DSC_0575%20with%20oval_zpsyqh2vv4n.jpg

What's going on?  Why are all those telescopic booms in River Country?

The Magic Kingdom was busy.  Thankfully we had FP+s for some of our favorites.

DSC_0581_zpsrshvvbsg.jpg

First up was POTC.

DSC_0582_zpscr4vxmej.jpg

DSC_0602_zpsuqvkosrt.jpg

DSC_0623_zpsu8xtzknm.jpg

DSC_0641_zpsdld89yqz.jpg

Next was BTMRR.

DSC_0657_zps1byspkvx.jpg

DSC_0660_zpsj7ltmhel.jpg

DSC_0672_zps9tavljvo.jpg

DSC_0678_zpsgbe4neut.jpg

DSC_0681_zpsagznovli.jpg

DSC_0685_zpspul5kovz.jpg

We walked up to Peter Pan's Flight to give David one last time on his favorite ride.

DSC_0695_zpstr8e6fep.jpg

And walked back to Main Street to have one last PP photo taken.

DSC_0696_zpszrsxwvr8.jpg

We walked through New Fantasyland and over to Tomorrowland.

DSC_0718_zpsoyaqor9v.jpg

DSC_0704_zpsqoeutg0h.jpg

To be continued ...

It's pretty cool that you were at the Fort for four weeks and still felt like you hadn't done all that you wanted to.  Where else could you say that?

That stinks that that the cut down on the offerings at the buffet.  I'm sure they didn't cut down on the price.

Nice job with the River Country photos.  I wonder what they were doing in there?

Your Big Thunder Mountain photos are awesome.

TCD

3 minutes ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Has David always been a WDW fan? What else besides the Peter Pan ride does he like there (parks or non parks)?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, David has always been a huge WDW fan!  Sometimes I think he's an even bigger fan than I am, if that's possible.  He likes everything except the thrill rides.  

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It's pretty cool that you were at the Fort for four weeks and still felt like you hadn't done all that you wanted to.  Where else could you say that?

That stinks that that the cut down on the offerings at the buffet.  I'm sure they didn't cut down on the price.

Nice job with the River Country photos.  I wonder what they were doing in there?

Your Big Thunder Mountain photos are awesome.

TCD

Part of the reason that we didn't get to do everything we wanted was that we spent so much time with family and taking care of Kassie.

I'll be anxious to see if you can see more of what's going on at RC during your next trip!

Sunday, November 22 -- Part 2

I ran across this banana flower.  Not sure if I've ever seen one before.

DSC_0735_zpslfr6y8zy.jpg

We decided to ride the train around the park.

DSC_0742_zpsuc5hkrd3.jpg

DSC_0745_zpsoxy9gjyt.jpg

DSC_0746_zpsy6joqjpw.jpg

We were trying to get back to the Fort before the rain hit.  Our awnings should have been dry enough to put away.  But we got to the boat dock just as the bottom fell out.

DSC_0749_zpsp5lq4e9c.jpg

DSC_0750_zpslnfkgiyw.jpg

So everything got soaked again.

We took Kassie for a short buggy ride after the rain stopped and then put DeeDee's traveling "hairnet" on her.  Had leftovers for dinner and then went back to MK to say goodbye. 

DSC_0754_zpsm7teonoi.jpg

Have you ever seen a ferry crossing over the water bridge?  And especially with a monorail over it?

DSC_0766_zpslnzr9qg5.jpg

We got to MK just as the castle lighting ceremony was ending.

DSC_0779_zps1ttogrif.jpg

DSC_0802_zpsboo9ifwz.jpg

DSC_0811_zpsyzdaot8m.jpg

We were sitting under the ice cream parlor awning stuffing our faces when the MSEP started, so we got to see the top half of the floats over tons of people in front of us.

DSC_0838_zpsurdr1y5p.jpg

I was so disappointed!  Where was the Pete's Dragon float?

MK was unbelievably crowded, so we waited awhile for the crowd to dissipate before we headed out.

DSC_0861_zpspt6vbpo4.jpg

DSC_0863_zpsdvnqxgic.jpg

DSC_0863_zpsdvnqxgic.jpg

DSC_0866_zpshrfgahc5.jpg

DSC_0867_zpsmzvinel1.jpg

DSC_0870_zpstleadvba.jpg

DSC_0878_zpsci1e9xes.jpg

DSC_0880_zps8jubgrrs.jpg

Fireworks started just as our boat pulled away from the dock.

DSC_0902_zpsgibyjgb4.jpg

The boat was running ahead of schedule, so the captain let us stop and watch the fireworks between the Contemporary and BLT. 

DSC_0953%20copy_zpsstxwl0ms.jpg

DSC_0957_zpsxbrutnlz.jpg

Maybe it's just us, but we both thought the fireworks and MSEP were lacking over a few years ago.

We spent awhile packing things away for the next morning and then called it a night.

Gwen, thank you for writing this trip report.  I'm all the way up to page three :rolleyes: but wanted to say thanks.  Your TPs are so full of photos that they are lots of fun to read.  I feel bad I never got to the fort while so many fiends were there, but problems and life get in the way sometimes.  OK, back to pg3.

20 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Wow that's an amazing picture of the castle with the reflection on the water very beautiful!

I like to think I can take pictures like yours but they never seem to turn out the way I see or think they should ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you, Derek!

3 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Gwen, thank you for writing this trip report.  I'm all the way up to page three :rolleyes: but wanted to say thanks.  Your TPs are so full of photos that they are lots of fun to read.  I feel bad I never got to the fort while so many fiends were there, but problems and life get in the way sometimes.  OK, back to pg3.

Gretchen, thanks for reading along.  I was disappointed we couldn't get together over Halloween, but I understand. 

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Nice banana flower photo.  I can't believe you've never seen one before.  I have a bunch of banana trees in my back yard.  Did you see this one in the MK?  I would imagine that was somewhere in Adventureland, but I don't recall seeing any banana trees around there.

TCD

Thanks.  The climate here in NC isn't exactly conducive to growing banana trees.  That one was in the smoking area near the bridge to enter Adventureland.

3 minutes ago, ependydad...Doug said:

I love reading your trip reports. You guys have so much fun and the pictures are always amazing.

Thank you, Doug!