A Tale of Two Holidays

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you did a great job with your Indiana Jones photos.

Did you get your hot dogs without chips?  That would have saved you about $5.

TCD

Thanks, TCD.  But you didn't see all the bad IJ photos.  Just a few of the better ones.

We only got one hot dog.  It was a footlong with chili and was $12.  Then add two drinks and tax and the total was around $20.  David did get the chips.  It was just one little bag.

Friday, October 30 -- Part 2

Our GG to celebrate Lorna's birthday was later that day.  Lots of good food, as usual:

DSCN2052%20copy%20food%2001_zpsq6qepgsn.

DSCN2053%20copy%20food%2002_zpsxtck09w4.

Several crock pots, including mac 'n cheese, brats and kraut, and chili beans:

DSCN2054%20copy%20food%2003_zpsfci2ccu4.

And Derek's mother's delicious deviled eggs:

DSCN2055%20copy%20food%2004_zpsmnshhci0.

He wouldn't reveal her secret ingredient.

I have a confession to make here.  I am absolutely awful with remembering names.  That night I knew everyone's name, but I didn't write them down and now I am clueless about of a few of them.  If you can help me, please do!  And if I have forgotten your name, I'm so sorry!

Kelly and her daughter:

DSCN2014%20copy%20Kelly%20and%20her%20da

Red (Susan):

DSCN2015%20copy%20Red_zpso6ptziwc.jpg

Lou:

DSCN2016%20copy%20Lou_zpszhv8dmt6.jpg

Bob:

DSCN2018%20copy%20Bob_zpsc7sk8lhc.jpg

TJ:

DSCN2020%20copy%20TJ_zpsbnm8rscs.jpg

I have no idea why this photo is so fuzzy.  And I'm embarrassed I don't remember their names:

DSCN2022%20copy%20who%20are%20they_zpshv

Ed:

DSCN2025%20copy%20Ed_zpsol7tpm5h.jpg

Sheila and Tim:

DSCN2026%20copy%20Sheila%20and%20Tim_zps

NaCole and Ed:

DSCN2029%20copy%20NaCole%20with%20Ed_zps

Missy:

DSCN2030%20copy%20Missy_zpsykkaccly.jpg

Julia and Caleb:

DSCN2032%20copy%20Julia%20and%20Caleb_zp

NaCole's family:

DSCN2033%20copy%20NaColes%20family_zpsc1

Carol:

DSCN2036%20copy%20Carol_zps27avis9b.jpg

Rick:

DSCN2038%20copy%20Rick_zpsdim3nesm.jpg

Mike and ?:

DSCN2039%20copy%20Mike%20and%20Forgot_zp

Rita:

DSCN2041%20copy%20Rita_zpsprjmb4bk.jpg

? and ?

DSCN2042%20copy%20please%20identify_zpsk

? and ?

DSCN2043%20copy%20identify%20again_zpsfe

Kathy:

DSCN2044%20copy%20Kathy_zpsuysxqzwy.jpg

Derek with his friend and his mother?

DSCN2046%20copy%20Derricks%20mom%20frien

Kelly:

DSCN2051%20Kelly_zpsf1dug5qn.jpg

? ? ?

DSCN2056%20copy%20identify%20again_zpsas

Z:

DSCN2058%20Zachary_zpsclaayknv.jpg

John, Red's husband:

DSCN2060%20copy%20Reds%20husband%20John_

DSCN2063%20copy%20group_zpsxa3g6jus.jpg

Angie:

DSCN2065%20copy%20Angie_zpssujk4qkr.jpg

And the birthday girl having fun with Caleb:

DSCN2067%20copy%20Lorna%20and%20Caleb_zp

I thought I'd taken everyone's pictures, but I realize now that I missed Josh, Rebekah, and Brian.  Sorry!

David finally really enjoyed himself at the GG because he's had time to get to know everyone better.  We didn't even eat together.  In fact, I hardly saw him because he was socializing.  Go, David!

Great pictures!  Thanks again for all the help when I arrived... couldn't have done it without the two of you!   Wow... that really was a great trip.  Funny, haven't been home that long, but it already feels like a lot of time has passed!

The GG was a lot of fun!  It was really neat to meet so many Fiends.  Oh... and the food!  Mercy.  Some really great stuff!!   Who made that chili again?  Bob...was that you?  It was AWESOME!

I too am horrible with names... so don't feel too bad   :)

Saturday, October 31

Matthew and his family were scheduled to arrive at the Fort on Sunday, November 1.  But we found out a couple of days earlier that they were going to arrive on October 31 instead.

We called Matthew early.  They left home at 4:15 a.m.  At 7:30 they were on 95 just past 26.

During the night Kassie got really sick.  She's like a garbage disposal (most Schnauzers are).  We figured she had eaten something she shouldn't have on her last walk (in the dark).  This isn't uncommon.  But about midnight she started throwing up.  And she didn't stop for hours. 

To backtrack a little, Kassie was born with an esophagus problem.  The vet (who was also the breeder) assured us that she would outgrow it by the time she was two years old.  The problem is that she didn't outgrow it.

So I spent early morning in the laundromat washing and drying our quilt. 

I got Kassie some Pepto Bismol at the Meadow Trading Post, and she seemed to feel better.  So later in the morning we went to the Magic Kingdom so I could take some Halloween pictures.  I thought this would probably be my last chance.

It was a beautiful morning.

DSC_8018%20copy_zpszqyxfmax.jpg

DSC_8023_zps0fa8byg1.jpg

DSC_8024%20copy_zpsm1pyheeq.jpg

DSC_8025%20copy_zpsbsywirri.jpg

DSC_8026%20copy_zps3ijoptzi.jpg

DSC_8027%20copy_zpsqbbau6ip.jpg

DSC_8028%20copy_zpsiqa0f2tw.jpg

DSC_8029%20copy_zpslhqqmcze.jpg

DSC_8030%20copy_zpsbhrjb6xr.jpg

DSC_8031%20copy_zpsz5gjd5kz.jpg

DSC_8032%20copy_zpsyeok9fgm.jpg

DSC_8033%20copy_zpsylw5tiis.jpg

DSC_8034%20copy_zps0s4ocwdk.jpg

DSC_8040%20copy_zpsyebgbl7z.jpg

DSC_8041%20copy_zpsutht7nbo.jpg

Saturday, October 31 -- Part 2

Later in the afternoon Matthew called to say they had arrived.  But they couldn't get into the Fort.  We drove up to the Outpost.  It was an absolute zoo.  The wait to check in was unbelievable.  Cars and RVs were parked all over the place.  The worst I've ever seen.

So David finally walked through the check-in line, gave Matthew a MB, and stopped traffic so he could move into the returning guests line. 

At last they were here!

Einstein:

DSC_8063%20copy%20Einstein_zpsucif9isj.j

Diva:

DSC_8060%20copy%20Princess%20Diva_zps38r

Miracle:

DSC_8061%20copy%20Miracle_zpsmztqljkr.jp

and our little darevil, Red:

DSC_8062%20copy%20Red_zpsagidvo11.jpg

After everyone got settled in, we went out to the main road to await the golf cart parade.  They didn't know what to expect but were blown away.  They had no idea that the people in the carts would be throwing candy and trinkets at them!

DSC_8065%20copy%20Waiting%20for%20GC%20p

A few of our favorite carts:

DSC_8075%20copy_zpslrlscim6.jpg

DSC_8081%20copy_zpsfwbly94b.jpg

DSC_8082%20copy_zpsv02q5rrz.jpg

And our absolute favorite (and ultimately the grand prize winner):

DSC_8109%20copy_zps5bjrpc6w.jpg

David took the kids looping after the parade, and then we went trick or treating. 

DSC_8121%20copy_zpsarbhgfum.jpg

DSC_8123%20copy_zps4jyvcdbf.jpg

DSC_8126%20copy_zpsbo9ffbhs.jpg

DSC_8128%20copy_zpsf1xap6o0.jpg

DSC_8129%20copy_zpsiqh1rwve.jpg

DSC_8133%20copy_zpszbxelusv.jpg

DSC_8137%20copy_zpsw7tilvns.jpg

DSC_8142%20copy_zpstxsjzk4z.jpg

After trick or treating through five loops, the kids had more candy than they could possibly eat (at least two pounds each), so we went back to our site, had dinner, and called it a night.

Last year we were on the same site in 700, and that loop was insanity.  We couldn't even get off our site.  This year?  So nice.  We only had maybe 10% of the people on the loop that we had last year.

Gwen you didn't really miss taking pictures of us, we lastee all of 20 mins at the GG. My kids were beat from the crack of dawn wake up and late nights catching up to them. Elizabeth was being shy so she didn't make it past like 2 people in the front and Adam was playing with the kids at tether ball. Then it was melt down time.

Gwen you didn't really miss taking pictures of us, we lastee all of 20 mins at the GG. My kids were beat from the crack of dawn wake up and late nights catching up to them. Elizabeth was being shy so she didn't make it past like 2 people in the front and Adam was playing with the kids at tether ball. Then it was melt down time.

Sorry you didn't get to stay at the GG.  But I understand about tired kids.

So do your grandchildren want to go to the Fort every year now for Halloween?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They thought they had been to great trick-or-treating places before, but they couldn't believe the Fort.  They had so much fun!

Love that Red has his shoes on the wrong feet lol. They are all just precious. Sorry about Kassie and the vomiting but glad she got better.

Red wears those Crocs on the wrong feet all the time and just laughs if you point it out to him.

Alert:  Kassie didn't get better.  Things got much, much worse a few days later.

Sunday, November 1

This was supposed to be our only non-park day with the family.  And apparently my camera took a day off, too.  I didn't take one single picture.  That's disappointing.

The gang came over to the Fort.  While the kids took advantage of the playground, we arranged FP+s for the week.

Then David and I borrowed their minivan and went to Camping World, WalMart, and Publix.  While we were out the kids did a resort hop on the monorail.

We had an early dinner -- veggie tray, tossed salad, country ham biscuits, peas, and corn.  You wouldn't believe how much these kids love veggies!  Over 5 dinners at the moho, they ate a pound of raw carrots, at least a pound of raw broccoli, a bag of radishes, cucumbers, even green onions.  And half a pound of green olives!  And those were only snacks.

They left early to check in to their next hotel for the week.  Yes, we had them on our Fort reservations, but there's no way we can sleep all 8 of us in the motorhome.  Well, I guess we could, but it would be miserable.

Took Kassie looping for awhile.  She still wasn't feeling great, but we thought it was probably the stress of having the kids around.

We saw Doodle and Mike.  Tried to find Red to say goodbye, but they weren't home.

7 days of our vacation were now over.  Only 23 to go.  I told David I'm not going home.  

7 days of our vacation were now over.  Only 23 to go.  I told David I'm not going home.  

Haha.. I remember you telling me that :)   I felt the same way.

Love the fall pics at MK.  You do such a beautiful job taking pictures; I love the angles you get.

So happy your family got to spend time with you... that's always so special.

Love the fall pics at MK.  You do such a beautiful job taking pictures; I love the angles you get.

Thank you!

Great job so far Gwen... I am reading along. So sorry we didn't get a chance to catch up to you guys again while we were there....

Looking forward to more of the report!

Thanks, Duane.  Sorry we didn't get to spend more time with you and your family.  We came by several times but never could catch you home.

Great report!

We were in the first site you come to in the 1700 loop (last by the numbers) and Halloween night was just crazy busy in 1600 & 1700 loop. There must have been 12 strangers carts parked on our site.  We tried to get over to the haunted house on the 1600 loop which we could see from our site but gave up because of all the people.  It was as bad as main street after the fireworks. So that is were all the people must have been that weren't on the 700 loop.