• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great to have a Fiend on the scene.   For the Yellow Fly test, please sit on the 1600 loop from 7:30 to 8:30 pm tonight and report back on how many bites you receive.   You have to go out to the swamp

Whatever works... I'll take this thread as a sign to stop shaving my legs and drink a lot more just to be sure :fly-swat: .

Yes they are in the 200 loop too. He posed for his picture, then was smacked down...

Darn Flies, From the title of the post I tought you ment freeloading, pool hopping, birthday bashing non-paying guest were back at the fort for the summer taking over beaches, pavilions and pools...lol

What loop were you in?

And was it just in the evening or all day long?

TCD

1600, got bit in the afternoon and evening.  Also got bit at the campfire/movie, as did my kids.  I have read they are the worst at dusk.  Deep Woods Off works OK for short periods of time but if you're a magnet for them like me, long sleeves and pants are the best protection.  Well, staying inside is the best protection but I was at the Fort and not about to do that.

Darn Flies, From the title of the post I tought you ment freeloading, pool hopping, birthday bashing non-paying guest were back at the fort for the summer taking over beaches, pavilions and pools...lol

Oh, they were out too…..not as bad as spring break or summer, but they were there!

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/livestock/yellow_fly.htm Everything you ever wanted to know about yellow flies and more.

But to answer Annie here is an excerpt

"Flies are on the wing in Florida from March to November, although the peak season is April through June."

​My experience is by end of June they thin out quite a bit.  

The flies aren't as bad as they've been some years.  I am extremely prone to getting bit.  My husband got bit once while breaking down our site and my kids escaped their wrath.

So, I would say you only need to worry if you are always a target for biting insects like I am.  Cover up and/or avoid going out at dusk.

Oh, and go ahead and bring your bucket and scrub brush to clean your RV, there were lots of people washing their campers at their sites (which I thought was not allowed).  Maybe they make an exception during love bug season.

We just rode to wilderness lodge and took the nature trail. Only love bugs bothering us.

As far as the washing goes. Its a ritual we see daily. They come in, set up, then wash the camper and tow vehicle. I'm glad I'm not towing through those. Some of the campers you cant even see the decal on the front.

Over on the place that shall not be named, there was a longish thread about regular little flies being a problem while eating at all the parks.  Swarms of little black flies outside and enough inside to be annoying.  Are they exaggerating?  If I'm going to be stuck with flies while eating, I might was well pack more food and cook in the trailer.

Over on the place that shall not be named, there was a longish thread about regular little flies being a problem while eating at all the parks.  Swarms of little black flies outside and enough inside to be annoying.  Are they exaggerating?  If I'm going to be stuck with flies while eating, I might was well pack more food and cook in the trailer.

The parks are overrun with flies. The little annoying ones. There is a reason for this though. The new landscaping they are using in the parks turned out to breed these little flies rather than deter them, like they thought. The MK is the worst.

Yeller flies is one of the reason the GG at Stone Mnt came into being, my wife, the charming and delightful MrsTnBob refused to go in May anymore because of the yeller flies. Twice in a row she got bit several times as soon as she got out of the truck, both times she wound up at the Urgent Care clinic with her having oozing bites. They were so bad on her feet she could hardly walk, so although  May is a great time (crowd wise) to be at the fort, its no good for us. It is just not something she wants to go through again, nor do I.

26 days quick maybe? ;)

Bugs are a part of the camping experience so we are used to some.  Swarms are something I'm not feeling.

But if I had to pick swarming flies over pests in the pool, I know what I would choose.

The swarms of bugs are only at the parks. The campground is not too bad. In fact, we just spent 3 hours at the pool and didn't see one fly and only a few love bugs. So, at the Fort you will be fine. The parks should be good by then too.

The swarms of bugs are only at the parks. The campground is not too bad. In fact, we just spent 3 hours at the pool and didn't see one fly and only a few love bugs. So, at the Fort you will be fine. The parks should be good by then too.

Great to have a Fiend on the scene.

For the Yellow Fly test, please sit on the 1600 loop from 7:30 to 8:30 pm tonight and report back on how many bites you receive.

You have to go out to the swamp.  Your high-rent site doesn't count.

TCD

Again, I think it is only an issue for those of us who are exceptionally appealing to the yellow flies.  It sounds like MrsTnBob and I share this problem.  I can completely sympathize with having to seek medical attention for them.

Dave is right, too and I can concur that while I was there, I was not afraid to go out every moment like I have been in the past.  After that initial "attack", I wore Deep Woods Off in the evening only.  I was only at the Fort for one whole day and part of another, at AK the other day.  AK seemed fine.  I spent all of the time I was at the Fort outside and only got caught off guard that first day, and wore shorts and t-shirts the entire time.

The love bugs are really bad right now, but will taper off.  And hopefully I am one of only a handful of people who got bit by flies and they are not going to be a problem.  

Also agree there did seem to be more "regular" flies.  Took one home with me in my car!

Dave I have found that the yellow flies are worse in the 1600 and 1700 loop. Maybe because they are closer to the horse barn up front. But I as well don't want to go in May because the 2 last times we were there I ended up really sick from the bites. Rich was at the same campsite I was and didn't get one. I on the other hand had a least 20 and ended up at the Doctor.

That's weird.

After reading this thread, I tried to find a reason to why some get attacked by these yellow flies while others don't even get bothered.

I could not find anything. But I did find this....

It is recommended by Orange and Lake County pest control authorities. Though the trap is a pretty new idea, it's not exactly high-tech.

Here's the formula:

Go to a local discount store and buy a cheap, inflatable beach ball and a can of glossy black spray paint. The Sentinel - at great expense - purchased the ball for $3.99 at Target and the paint for $1.29 at Scotty's.

Step 2: Buy goo.

This is the hard part. Cilek recommends something called Tangle-Trap Insect Trap Coating, manufactured by the Tanglefoot Co., Grand Rapids, Mich. The cost is $4.95 for an 8-ounce jar, which comes with an applicator. This stuff can be tough to find.

''We've been selling a lot of it recently,'' Karen Shirley, a Tanglefoot spokesman, said apologetically. The closest wholesaler is in Lakeland, she said.

If you can't find the Tanglefoot product, substitute another insect trap coating. After you locate sticky stuff, blow up the ball, spray on the paint, and - after it dries - hang the ball from a post or a tree limb about chest-high.

Step 4: Slop on the goo.

Presto. You've got a giant fly trap.

This is not a joke. The idea was developed by Cilek, who holds a genuine doctorate degree in bugs. He realized that a similar device used to collect and count deerflies, a yellow fly cousin, could be used as a yellow fly killer.

The theory is that the fly mistakes the swaying ball for the shadow of a person and gets permanently stuck.