It is. We actually chose it because it is the one place that bolts his car seat to the frame vs. a chair that is bolted to the frame and then strapping it to it. I just wonder, what are the laws? How long does he have to ride in his seat, or does he even have to? Currently, he's all over the place (as you witnessed) so he needs to be strapped in for safety. But are there laws? I can't find any.

That helps but is still confusing. Right? Is an RV >10 passengers if it can seat that many? It says in GA you have to have a seatbelt in the back seat between 6-17. Does that mean Z at 4 doesn't need anything (doubt it). Does it mean he has to be in a car seat until 6? And I'm pretty sure our law is that everyone in a car is buckled so I'm not sure where the 6-16 came from.

I've even asked 2 police officers, and they can show me what the rules are. I find that odd. Like I said, Z would be a nightmare on the loose, so that's not happening, but I'd just like to know the rules for sure.

• 1 month later...

I had wondered about that, too. We're debating on getting a motorhome in the next couple of years, and M would still be in a car seat.

I'm not really sure what the actual laws are, but I've heard the following strong recommendations:

- Car seat has to be buckled in a forward facing seat. No rear-facing dinette bench or side-facing couch.

- Car seat installed in a seat that is mounted to metal frame.

Not sure that helps, or not.

Not to be downer but a motorhome will explode in a bad wreck. Buckled or not they are not that safe. Last year a whole family was wiped out coming home from a motorcycle race. The box tore from the frame. There wasn't much left.

Bus frame coaches are much safer than the fiberglass boxes.

Not to be downer but a motorhome will explode in a bad wreck. Buckled or not they are not that safe. Last year a whole family was wiped out coming home from a motorcycle race. The box tore from the frame. There wasn't much left.

Bus frame coaches are much safer than the fiberglass boxes.

What a downer.
  • 3 weeks later...

We have an adult size car seat for Kimberly (and have one that Kenya used before she passed away in 2011).  It uses a seat belt that is mounted behind the seat (I have forgotten what that is called right now).  The babies use their regular car seats, usually facing the back of the sofa seat because the seat belts do not work on their car seats if they are facing forward. 

After reading all the information posted on the site Loretta listed, it appears children would not have to be in a car seat unless they are in the front seat....car, van, bus or RV.  We often have a child/ren who are 3 or 4 with us and we always use a car seat if the child is small enought to fit in one we have of if they are larger we just use the seat belts that are mounted on the sofa.

I agree with Kelly that like Z most children would be running around if not restrained in a seat and that would NOT be safe.

So much to learn and so little time.   LOL

The seat belt Judy referred to is a tether strap that runs down behind the seat or sofa and is bolted through the floor.  The recliner also get a belt that wraps around the back of the chair, and the one on the sofa gets a strap the connects to the sofa frame in front.

I have noticed lately the infant car seats have a sticker that says "Side Impact Tested"  which indicates to me the sofa is a safe place for these seats.

I think the age ranges refer to the fact that infants need a car seat to one age, then after a certain infant height and weight, a booster is required until another range of height/weight is reached.  After that a seat belt with shoulder strap is always required, maybe to 16 or 18 years old.  Sorry, I don't have exact height/weight.age requirements, and these may vary by states.

And sad as it may sound, in a roll over or a sudden massive fire, and it may nor matter anyway.  Now don't flame me.  As ImDown said, these RV's are not as sturdy as other vehicles.

I had wondered about that, too. We're debating on getting a motorhome in the next couple of years, and M would still be in a car seat.

I'm not really sure what the actual laws are, but I've heard the following strong recommendations:

- Car seat has to be buckled in a forward facing seat. No rear-facing dinette bench or side-facing couch.

- Car seat installed in a seat that is mounted to metal frame.

Not sure that helps, or not.

Those are the exact guidelines I've heard and what we do.

I have noticed lately the infant car seats have a sticker that says "Side Impact Tested"  which indicates to me the sofa is a safe place for these seats.

The side impact rating is in case the car is hit from the side. The seats have gotten better in the case of a side collision, but they aren't as good.