A couple of the facebook groups I follow have been linking to this story. I figured I would see what our Fiends on the scene have to say about it.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2013/06/disneys-spectromagic-parade-is-gone.html?showComment=1372297275213

Walt Disney World Fans all around the world will be very sad reading the title of this news, but it looks like one of Disney's best nighttime parades may have left us for good. In fact, according to a very well-known poster over at WDWMagic.comDisney's SpectroMagic parade was just recently completely dismantled, and all that was left from it was recently scrapped. Here is the original post, from WDWMagic user "wdw71fan":

I have the unfortunate duty of reporting the official death of Spectromagic.. There are 6 'trailer style' dumpsters filled with the crushed remains of the Spectromagic Parade units.. I believe at this point the only surviving unit is Chernobog... Which may only be temporary as they are removing equipment from the unit..

I personally witnessed a forklift being used to crush the pile of rubble down into the dumpsters.. Twisted metal and all... I couldn't believe my eyes.. It was all backstage, so no pictures... I couldn't take pictures anyway... it's like taking photos at a funeral.

What does this ultimately mean for the Walt Disney World Resort? Well, first of all, we can say that we have lost a very important piece of the Vacation Kingdom's history. The SpectroMagic parade also had one of the most beautiful soundtracks ever created for a parade. In addition to that, it also looks like we will be "stuck" withDisney's Electrical Parade for a few more years, unless Disney announces a brand-new nighttime parade for next year, in addition to the new Disney's Festival of Fantasy daytime parade (which is debuting next Spring).

Why was it necessary for Disney to get rid of the parade floats? Well, according to some sources, it was in extremely bad conditions, due to the fact that the entire parade was being stored outdoors, under the elements. Day and night. We feel very bitter in saying this, but we will never be able to see SpectroMagic coming back.

Farewell. Maybe one day those million stars will shine again...

Lou, Dave, TJ? Any comments?

I never liked Spectro.  The creepy chucky dolls and music didn't cut it for me.  Just my one little opinion.  (My entire family shares it.)

It's a favorite for us. Especially the music. I would have liked to see it in person one more time. 

Other than hearsay, I have no clue one way or the other, but unless it comes directly from Disney, I give zero credence to people just posting something based on rumors.

I figured you or the others would have the best chance of knowing the truth. I will hold off on the memorial viewing of it by video for now. LOL

It's a favorite for us. Especially the music. I would have liked to see it in person one more time. 

Then for your sake I'm sorry you didn't get to see it a last time.    That's how I felt about MSEP for YEARS.  I grew up with MSEP so the switch was not a welcome one for my fam.  I understand your sentiment. :)

Kim, I so agree with you!  We didn't like it either.

;)

Given that it's unlikely Disney is going to put out an official press release about this, this could be as close to "official info" as we might get on this unless the reports of the floats just sitting around backstage somewhere are true and we can get visual confirmation.

I'm officially sad...

SpectroMagic parade officially – and permanently – retires as Walt Disney World looks ahead to Festival of Fantasy
by Ricky BrigantePosted on July 1, 2013

A beloved favorite nighttime spectacle of the Magic Kingdom, SpectroMagic is no more. Having disappeared from the park just over three years ago in June 2010, many fans hoped the popular parade would some day return. But following reports of its backstage destruction last week, today it is confirmed that SpectroMagic is indeed gone for good.

When asked if these reports were true, a Walt Disney World spokesperson affirmed they were, simply stating, “Yes SpectroMagic has been retired.” It was noted that some pieces of the famous floats would be retained for possible future use, though it could not be said whether any of it would end up in the upcoming Festival of Fantasy parade.

SpectroMagic first debuted on October 1, 1991, temporarily leaving the Magic Kingdom for a couple years beginning in 1999, and ultimately ending its run forever on June 5, 2010. The classic Main Street Electrical Parade has been performed regularly since then, still today dazzling Magic Kingdom visitors with thousands of sparkling lights each night.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/07/spectromagic-parade-officially-and-permanently-retires-as-walt-disney-world-looks-ahead-to-festival-of-fantasy/

When was spectro introduced and when was it replaced by the MSEP?  Why did ever take the place of the MSEP inthe first place?  From what I can remember, spectro was really cool compared to the MSEP. I am not a fan of MSEP.  I know it's a nostalgic thing but I nvere got into the pete the dragon thing