This is one place we've actually been excited about and now it looks like it'll be open in time for our trip.  Bonus - dim sum brunch!  :D

From WDWMagic...

Morimoto Asia at Disney Springs officially opens its doors on September 30 57 minutes ago in "Morimoto Asia"

Morimoto Asia today announced it will be officially opening its doors on September 30 2015.

The new pan-Asia restaurant, which is a collaboration between Iron Chef Mesaharu Morimoto and the Patina Restaurant Group, will be one of the centerpieces of the new Disney Springs - a redevelopment of Downtown Disney.

“This has been a project of passion for our team and Chef Morimoto. We can’t wait to open our doors to everyone visiting Disney Springs this fall and beyond,” said Nick Valenti, restaurateur and CEO of Patina Restaurant Group.

Boasting a 36ft tall, two story layout, it includes lounges, dining spaces, and an exhibition kitchen that allows guests a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the culinary action. The second-level sushi bar and lounge have a separate entrance.

The restaurant’s main entrance features a three-story glass corner, revealing the dramatic interior design including a multi-level bar and spiraling chandelier made of illuminated glass bottles. The sculptural bar at over 270 feet in length is one of the largest in the world, as it leaps through the soaring 36-foot tall space to connect the grand dining room on the ground floor with the upper level, wrapping around the grand stairway. Custom glass beaded chandeliers evoke the ocean delicacies of Chef Morimoto’s cuisine, and are reflected in antique mirrors, interspersed with glass mosaic artworks based on ancient Japanese prints. Chef Morimoto’s exclusive sushi bar is sculpted from hundreds of pieces of hand-selected ash wood, backed with a wall of hammered copper. Morimoto Asia’s two-story outdoor terrace provides patio seating with sweeping views of Disney Springs.

The Menu

The menu is Chef Morimoto’s eclectic take on his favorite Asian flavors including moo shu pork, Peking duck, lobster chow fun, sweet and sour crispy whole fish, and kung pao chicken. Dim sum will be served during weekend brunch service, and will include a variety of dumplings, shumai, bao, spare ribs and more.

The sushi, an intimate 14-seat counter, will offer pristine sushi and sashimi options from around the world. Items include toro, kanpachi, Japanese red snapper, uni, sea eel, hamachi, fluke, and salmon, as well as more ocean delicacies. A variety of specialty sushi rolls and selections from the raw bar will also be offered. While traditional sushi service will be limited to the guests seated at the sushi bar, a selection of specialty rolls and sushi platters will be available to the main restaurant’s diners.

“I am excited to create a menu that allows so many of my favorite Asian flavors to come alive all in one place,” said Chef Masaharu Morimoto. “I hope the guests at Morimoto Asia have as much fun eating this food as I have creating it.”

Mormimoto Asia promises a destination-worthy line-up. The beers will feature mostly Asian varieties in both bottle and on draft, including the Morimoto signature beer by Rogue Ales.

In addition to the collector’s edition Imperial Pilsner and Morimoto Soba Ale and the highly coveted Black Obi Soba will also be available by the bottle. The restaurant will also offer an assortment of sake, including the Morimoto signature line, plus a wine list showcasing wines of the world, signature cocktails and non-alcoholic drinks.

Kid's are Welcome

Being a true family-friendly destination, kids will have a variety of Asian-infused dishes including chicken ramen, kakuni pork bao, and karaage fried chicken.

Lunch, Dinner and Weekend Brunch

Morimoto Asia will be open daily from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. serving lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch with dim sum

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/morimoto-asia/news/02sep2015-morimoto-asia-at-disney-springs-officially-opens-its-doors-on-september-30.htm

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must give credit where it is due.   The TCD twins and I found ourselves in WDW last Saturday.  I was getting new tires for one of the girls' cars, and we decided to patronize the subcontractor who o

MouseSteps posted a video of Disney Springs today, taken from the Characters in Flight balloon...   &#13

A couple more Morimoto Asia tidbits from their FB page...

Morimoto Asia We will begin to accept reservations via Open Table on September 16th.

Morimoto Asia Reservations via Open Table is for future dates after we open on September 30th. Disney Dining reservations will be available in November.

https://www.facebook.com/morimotoasia?ref=stream

More on Morimoto Asia...

You will be able to make reservations on Open Table from September 16 2015, and via Disney Dining online or at 407-WDW-DINE from November 1 2015. Reservations can also be made directly with the restaurant on 407-560-6686 from September 30.

Morimoto Asia will also be on the Disney Dining Plan, although not at opening. Expect to see the Disney Dining Plan accepted in early November 2015.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/morimoto-asia/news/03sep2015-morimoto-asia---how-to-make-reservations-and-disney-dining-plan-details.htm

• 2 weeks later...

From WDWMagic...

PHOTOS - First Disney Springs pedestrian bridge now open 2 hours ago in "Disney Springs"

disney-springs_Full_25292.jpg

Full article with more photos...

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/disney-springs/news/14sep2015-photos---first-disney-springs-pedestrian-bridge-now-open.htm

We walked that bridge on Tuesday.  You get some amazing views of the construction.  It is really a very impressive project.  You really can't grasp the size of the effort until you look from the bridge.  The bridge is very interesting as it bounces a good bit, especially in the wind.  Not a defect, it was made that way.  One of the parking cast members asked us if we noticed the bouncing.  The whole thing is very nicely done.

The new ramp into the parking garage is terrific as well.

We walked that bridge on Tuesday.  You get some amazing views of the construction.  It is really a very impressive project.  You really can't grasp the size of the effort until you look from the bridge.  The bridge is very interesting as it bounces a good bit, especially in the wind.  Not a defect, it was made that way.  One of the parking cast members asked us if we noticed the bouncing.  The whole thing is very nicely done.

The new ramp into the parking garage is terrific as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing it all.

A preview of Morimoto Asia from Scott Joseph's Orlando Restaurant Guide...

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/index.php/news/3121-sights-sounds-and-tastes-of-morimoto-asia

The place looks amazing and seats 474!

Still no menus posted, but there is some pood forn in the article...

Morimoto_ribs.jpg

Morimoto_lobster.jpg

From OPTN...

As Downtown Disney continues to transform into Disney Springs, yet another milestone has been reached with the opening of the first pedestrian bridge.
Located near Team Disney, this new bridge provides convenient access to and from Downtown Disney/Disney Springs and will enable Guests to cross Buena Vista Drive without waiting for traffic. With the opening of the new pedestrian bridge, the crosswalk near the Team Disney building will no longer be available.

Here you are some photos of the opening ceremony that took place earlier this week:

u7hAwis.jpg

QLVAPRb.jpg

xrmx3Qw.jpg

Check out some interesting facts about the new pedestrian bridge:

mRjHB7K.png

The second Disney Springs pedestrian bridge near Hotel Plaza Boulevard will open later this year.

PHOTOS: © 2015 Walt Disney World Resort. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/09/first-pedestrian-bridge-officially.html

From OTPN...

The Landing boat dock (formerly known as the Pleasure Island boat dock) officially returned to operation this morning. As a result, the Sassagoula River Cruise transportation to Disney’s Old Key West Resort and Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa returned to its original docking location at The Landing dock. Hotel Guest transportation is available about every 20 minutes.

The Downtown Disney water taxis has also resumed service to all three docks.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/09/the-landing-boat-dock-now-open-at.html

From WDW News Today...

Sep
Downtown Disney Officially Becomes Disney Springs September 29th, 2015

Since we first told the world of Disney Springs replacing and overlaying Downtown Disney back in March 2013, everyone has been wondering when the name change would finally take place. Next Tuesday, September 29th, the Downtown Disney name will be no more 20 years after it replaced the Disney Village.

DS4.jpg?resize=600%2C338

The name change comes 1 day before the opening of Morimoto Asia Restaurant on September 30th and just a few days after the opening of Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar in The Landing. The final restaurants, second parking structure, and the new Town Center area will open in 2016 to complete the project.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/09/downtown-disney-officially-becomes-disney-springs-september-29th-2015/

More from WDWMagic...

Disney has organized a press event on September 29 2015 which will include a name change moment.

It isn't yet clear as to how extensive the name change will be by that point, but it certainly seems that with the near-completion of The Landing, Disney has enough of a new product to announce the name change to the press.

The Landing has recently seen the opening of The BOATHOUSE, Erin McKenna's Bakery, Chapel Hats, Sanuk, Sound Lion, Erwin Pearl, Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar, Art of Shaving, Tea Traders Cafe, Haviana Flip Flops, APEX Sunglasses, and Vivoli Gelato. Morimoto Asia will be opening on September 30 2015.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/disney-springs/news/23sep2015-disney-springs-rebranding-to-become-official-later-this-month.htm

Some random thoughts:

1. Those arials show some cool details.
  2. Holy smokes the size of this expansion is much larger than expected.
  3. That towncenter area has some very large buildings going up, are they really going to be just shopping?
  4. With this area getting so much bigger it seems like they are trying to draw more locals who can pop in at anytime for a meal.  Well that and the international travelers who are there for weeks at a time I guess.  
  5. I've heard good things on the Twitter about the Boathouse and Morimonto including their pricing is reasonable for the quality and Disney.
  6. Also the theming in Jock Lindsey's sounds and looks great.
  7. With all these new restaurants how does someone going once a year really get to enjoy them in addition to the ones you already love.  (I guess that's Disney's goal, make you stay longer and spend more)
  8. I still don't want to go to Downtown Springs until the construction is done but being the Indian Jones fan I am I'm really considering it.

WBI

From DaMouse...

Aerial Photography Outlines Disney’s Retail Wonderland ‘Disney Springs’

Those photos are excellent!

Thanks for posting the link.

Some random thoughts:

3. That towncenter area has some very large buildings going up, are they really going to be just shopping?
  4. With this area getting so much bigger it seems like they are trying to draw more locals who can pop in at anytime for a meal.  Well that and the international travelers who are there for weeks at a time I guess.  
  5. I've heard good things on the Twitter about the Boathouse and Morimonto including their pricing is reasonable for the quality and Disney.
  7. With all these new restaurants how does someone going once a year really get to enjoy them in addition to the ones you already love.  (I guess that's Disney's goal, make you stay longer and spend more)
  8. I still don't want to go to Downtown Springs until the construction is done but being the Indian Jones fan I am I'm really considering it.

WBI

Nice list, Rusty WBI.

I agree with you- I didn't realize how much more is still under construction at Disney Springs.  With the name change officially coming next week, and all the stuff that has already opened, I thought they were close to being finished.  We can see from these photos that they have a long, long way to go.

I didn't realize how much new retail space was being added.  It's crazy.  But, I'm sure they have it all leased, so good for them.

TCD

Some random thoughts:

WBI

I agree with your random thoughts.  :)

1. I've heard good things on the Twitter about the Boathouse and Morimonto including their pricing is reasonable for the quality and Disney.

I just popped the Morimoto menu on that thread.  Aside from some "Disney expensive" entrees, much of the menu looks pretty reasonable to me for what it is.  Sushi rolls for $10... that's about what I paid yesterday up here in the wilds of NH.  8)

1. With all these new restaurants how does someone going once a year really get to enjoy them in addition to the ones you already love. 

Darned good question!  We really want to try a few of the new places, but... it'll also be Food & Wine and we have some favorites we want to return to as well.  I predict some prioritizing of the "List of Fun" will be in order.  Also probably more trips to Disney Springs than we'd usually make.

With thanks to TCD for the heads up on this article from the Tampa Bay Times. Follow the link for more photos...

Downtown Disney becomes Disney Springs and welcomes new Morimoto Asia restaurant

Michelle Stark, Times Food Editor

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 4:36pm

• 0435692184_16007445_8col.jpg
  • morimotoasia_8col.jpg

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Avid travelers of the roads leading to Walt Disney World knew a change was imminent, as those iconic purple signs that signal you are on Disney property suddenly contained a new name. On Tuesday, it became official: Downtown Disney is now Disney Springs.

The shopping and dining destination, created in the mid-'70s as a marketplace for those on Disney property, is more than halfway through its largest expansion ever, set to be completed in 2016. And Tuesday night, in the new Landing neighborhood of the sprawling entertainment complex, Disney employees and media gathered to seal the deal.

Senior Vice President of Disney Springs Maribeth Bisienere spoke about the many changes that have already happened, and the more that are to come, saying "We're still working to make the dream come true." George Kalogridis, president of Walt Disney World Resort, thanked the central Florida community for its support during the expansion. After the remarks, some sign-flipping magic revealed the new name.

Also on Tuesday, the Tampa Bay Times got a peek at Morimoto Asia, a new 36-foot tall, two-story pan-Asian restaurant from chef Masaharu Morimoto ('Iron Chef') that opens Wednesday. Morimoto himself was at the preview, talking about how his wife is a huge Mickey Mouse fan (they share the same birthday) before bursting into song and leading a sake toast. Later, he carved a giant tuna in front of the crowd then rolled a 60-foot sushi roll.

The restaurant, one of Disney Springs' dining tentpoles housed in the building with the giant "Springs Bottling Co." marquee on top, has open terraces, private rooms and waterside seating. The interior, a large and inviting space that feels more chic than touristy, is gorgeous, with decadent beaded light fixtures hanging from the ceiling, an entirely open kitchen on the first level and an immaculate sushi bar upstairs.

When the expansion is complete, Disney Springs, which is free and does not require a ticket, will have doubled the number of shops and restaurants to more than 150 venues (and added a much-needed five-level parking garage that tracks available spots via sensors over each space). There will be four outdoor neighborhoods connected by a flowing spring and lake; gorgeous waterfront views are indeed a priority in the new space.

Already open are the Boathouse and Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar. Still to come is STK, a sleek steakhouse that will offer nightly DJ music and the only rooftop dining in Disney Springs. It's one of the largest STK locations in the world, and is expected to open also in the Landing neighborhood sometime this year. And high-concept restaurant and bar the Edison will join the lineup in 2016, featuring nightly entertainment like contortionists, palm readers and DJs.

New shopping includes the Art of Shaving, a boutique store that sells high-end shaving supplies and grooming products; Erin McKenna Bakery NYC, which offers donuts, cupcakes, cookies, bagels on an all-vegan and gluten-free menu; Super Hero Headquarters, a shop themed around Marvel characters; and Vivoli Gelateria, a family-run gelato shop that uses local products and ingredients imported from Italy — it's Vivoli's only location outside of Italy.

Downtown Disney becomes Disney Springs and welcomes new Morimoto Asia restaurant 09/29/15
[Last modified: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 11:32am]

http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/travel/florida/downtown-disney-becomes-disney-springs-and-welcomes-new-morimoto-asia/2247602

• 3 months later...

MouseSteps posted a video of Disney Springs today, taken from the Characters in Flight balloon...

Published on Jan 25, 2016

Check out our YouTube show MouseSteps Weekly: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

Today we went up in the Characters in Flight balloon to see the progress on Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney) - mostly the Town Center with beautiful water filled springs, an area currently behind walls. The size of the project is pretty incredible, we look forward to when the walls come down. Also included is footage of the filled springs from ground level.

Cool video, Mo.

The Disney Parks Blog just posted a video featuring Imagnineers talking about all of the planning that went into creating this feature at Disney Springs: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/01/all-in-the-details-putting-the-springs-into-disney-springs/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8vI-2Ze2us&feature=player_embedded

TCD

• 3 weeks later...