Best way to get from Poly to the Fort for the HDDR (maybe in the rain)

I agree with Dave- the big boats that they usually use from MK to FW are enclosed, and no problem if it's raining.

If the boats aren't running because of lightning, it will be bad.

Best option then would be monorail to MK, WL bus, and then get the FW bus from WL.  The FW bus from WL will drop you at the Settlement bus stop, from which it is a short walk to Pioneer Hall.

TCD

I hope it's not raining because TCD's rain plan sounds like a lot of work.

It's not that bad. The MK to WL bus runs more often than any other bus at MK for reasons which I won't get into. Once on, it's only about a 5 minute ride.

Even if it's not raining, it's a good option. In terms of time, there isn't that much of a difference between busing it and taking the boat, just ask Bob.

It's not that bad. The MK to WL bus runs more often than any other bus at MK for reasons which I won't get into. Once on, it's only about a 5 minute ride.

Even if it's not raining, it's a good option. In terms of time, there isn't that much of a difference between busing it and taking the boat, just ask Bob.

A while back, Lou shared the WL bus secret with me, and we have taken advantage of it many times.  When leaving the MK, if there is a long line for the boat, or if we just missed the boat, we will often keep walking right to the WL bus stop.  It is the closest bus stop to the MK, and it is amazing how fast the buses arrive and depart.  Once at WL, you exit, and you are already at the bus stop for the FW bus.  Once that bus arrives, it is non-stop to the Settlement bus stop.  If we want to continue on there, that bus lately always seems to change to an Outpost Yellow bus, and will take you through the Fort on the yellow route. 

This is good information that all Fiends should make note of.

TCD

A while back, Lou shared the WL bus secret with me, and we have taken advantage of it many times.  When leaving the MK, if there is a long line for the boat, or if we just missed the boat, we will often keep walking right to the WL bus stop.  It is the closest bus stop to the MK, and it is amazing how fast the buses arrive and depart.  Once at WL, you exit, and you are already at the bus stop for the FW bus.  Once that bus arrives, it is non-stop to the Settlement bus stop.  If we want to continue on there, that bus lately always seems to change to an Outpost Yellow bus, and will take you through the Fort on the yellow route. 

TCD

That IS good information.  But now I want to know why the WL buses run from MK so frequently.  Especially considering there is also boat service between the two. 

That IS good information.  But now I want to know why the WL buses run from MK so frequently.  Especially considering there is also boat service between the two.

I believe that it has something to do with bus driver shifts.  When a bus driver is near the end of his or her shift, and arrives at the MK, they assign the bus to the WL/MK run because it is a quick run and allows the bus driver to finish out the shift. Since this is a short run, it is very predictable how long it will take, and it allows them to have the driver work a full shift but not risk having to pay overtime.  Something like that.  Bottom line- even if a bus is pulling out when you walk up, another one will usually be pulling up right after.  Has worked for us every time.  Remember, though, that if the Fort boat is just pulling in as you walk past, and it looks like there will be room for you, the boat is still going to be the faster option to get to the Fort.

TCD

A while back, Lou shared the WL bus secret with me, and we have taken advantage of it many times. When leaving the MK, if there is a long line for the boat, or if we just missed the boat, we will often keep walking right to the WL bus stop. It is the closest bus stop to the MK, and it is amazing how fast the buses arrive and depart. Once at WL, you exit, and you are already at the bus stop for the FW bus. Once that bus arrives, it is non-stop to the Settlement bus stop. If we want to continue on there, that bus lately always seems to change to an Outpost Yellow bus, and will take you through the Fort on the yellow route.

TCD

Interesting and good to know.

It's also a good way to switch ends of the campground if you started your day at MK, and ended at Epcot. (and your golf cart is down at Settlement)

Get off from the Epcot bus at WL, then get on the FW bus at Wilderness Lodge. Then you will be dropped at the correct end of the campground to retrieve your cart.

It's also a good way to switch ends of the campground if you started your day at MK, and ended at Epcot. (and your golf cart is down at Settlement)

Get off from the Epcot bus at WL, then get on the FW bus at Wilderness Lodge. Then you will be dropped at the correct end of the campground to retrieve your cart.

I like your plan, except I'd modify it slightly.  Get off bus at WL, walk to RF for a Magic Cookie Bar, then hop the boat to the Fort to retrieve your cart. 

Yup. And it avoids a long ride through the campground.

TCD

I believe that it has something to do with bus driver shifts.  When a bus driver is near the end of his or her shift, and arrives at the MK, they assign the bus to the WL/MK run because it is a quick run and allows the bus driver to finish out the shift. Since this is a short run, it is very predictable how long it will take, and it allows them to have the driver work a full shift.  Something like that. 

That's pretty much it.

Driver shifts and breaks mostly occur on 15 minute intervals, so every 15 minutes more than one driver is either ending their shift or going on break. When it's close to either one, they can't send a driver on a regular run, but the WL is just about right. So whether or not the WL is due for their regularly scheduled bus of about every 20 minutes, they get one anyway, and it's usually a much shorter time between buses.

All hubs have a similar situation. At DHS and Epcot, the Pop Century runs more often for the same reason. At AK, it's the AKL bus. There isn't one at DTD.