Solo coastal camping: away from the Fort and back again

Well this is my first TR as a Fiend...we will see how it goes. I've actually been camping now for 2 weeks. But I left home with an unfinished project and have had to work the entire time - that's not very exciting to read about (or do, if you are me). I finish this trip at the Fort so all will end well!

My first stop was 4 nights at Big Lagoon State Park near Pensacola, FL. Overall, a nice park with boardwalks that cross over to, well, the big lagoon. My intention was to go crabbing (a childhood favorite memory) - it didn't happen. Dam this work thing! These are the only pictures I have of that leg of the trip.

ysa3eru5.jpgsasa4ena.jpg

Then I drove over to Lafayette, LA to visit my daughter. What do I have? Food pictures!! I think I need therapy. I'll upload those later today - but let me warn you - you will leave hungry!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mother would be so proud! :shh:

I just wrote out a long update from yesterday, and something froze and it's gone! I'm lying in my hammock. It's my last night of my 23 day camping trip.  I'm pretty much out of food, except for some p

Posted Images

Really? My daughter just moved there from New Iberia. Man! We ate a ton! Will upload later today and I want your opinion. Do you live there?

No, but I've traveled there for work several times.  I always leave a few pounds heavier.  For reasons such as this....

2011-07-11%252020.16.10.jpg

And this....

2011-07-11%252020.48.53.jpg

And also this....

2011-07-12%252012.32.48.jpg

And who can forget the Boudin?!!

2011-07-12%252011.07.02.jpg

Boy howdy!  I'm hungry now. 

I can't wait to see what y'all ate!!

Lafayette, LA, my only memories of that place was when I was about 4 years old.  My grandmother, aunt and uncle, and cousins lived there, and we went to visit.  

I remember my cousins shooting me with mud daubs with their BB rifles, and getting chased across a parking lot by a crawfish at a seafood market.

I think my parents and uncle bought a bunch of crawfish and did something with them in a big metal garbage can.

So to follow-up on this journey. I went to Lafayette to visit my daughter Jessie who just took a new job there. All three of my daughters know of my foodie issue and are very good at feeding my addiction. Jessie had some places lined up for us to try. The first was a place called Zeus' - a Greek/Lebanese restaurant with several locations in Lafayette. Greek/Lebanese in the Deep South? Yep y'all. Apparently there was a large Lebanese population that immigrated to that region several generations ago and melded their food traditions into the culture. I like Mediterranean food, but was not really feelin' the love with hummus and lentil soup. No pictures (that's what happens when I don't feel the love).

Next day we had a late breakfast/early lunch (moms and daughters talk and tend to get slow starts in the morning) at Hub City Diner. Now, we were in the zone. I had the catfish, black-eyed peas, and red beans and rice and promptly went into a carb induced coma. It was VERY good. I kept expecting Aunt Bea and Opie to stroll in after church - it had a 50's diner feel. Obviously popular with the locals - always a good sign (unless the locals are Lebanese).

post-4936-0-46552000-1374203582_thumb.jppost-4936-0-00158300-1374203613_thumb.jp

After Hub City we strolled around the downtown area. Nice little section with shops and cafes. Strolling can make you hungry so we grabbed a gelato at Carpe Diem Gelato where they make the stuff fresh. I had the Biscoff gelato - I couldn't take a picture because it was dripping down my chin (or was that drool?) Pretty darn tasty!

For dinner, we ended up at The Pie Hole (again back in downtown) and I ate one of the best things I've EVER had...wait for it...wait for it...Duck wings with macaroni and cheese! Seriously, this was lick-the-plate and server's hand delicious! It's an appetizer, but huge so Jessie and I split it. We were both stuffed! I had some sort of froo-froo martini, but my memory is blurred.

post-4936-0-13605300-1374204119_thumb.jppost-4936-0-81486800-1374204092_thumb.jp

After that we strolled around downtown and stumble upon a newly opened place called Vermillion something. We were stuffed but wanted to sit on their balcony and watch the nightlife. I had a killer Bloody Mary that had I think a whole salad bar in it! We took our drinks upstairs and everyone kept inviting us to the burlesque show that was scheduled later in honor of one of their employee's 31st birthday. So we went. It was a hoot- like something from the 30's - a blend of tasteful stripping (no pole dancing here) that revealed enough for the men and not too much for us ladies (we see those things every day) and a mix of comedy. It was surprisingly enjoyable, especially after a couple more of these things...post-4936-0-44292200-1374204859_thumb.jp

The next day, ditto on the late start. We headed to Johnson's Boucaniere which is apparently an institution in Lafayette. You order at the counter then go eat outside on the porch. Not a bad way to start a Saturday! I had the rib platter with jambalaya, cornbread dressing and macaroni and cheese. It was rib-sticking good. However, after the duck wing mac n' cheese, they didn't stand a prayer. This is a slowwwww smoke BBQ place. Jessie had the pork rib sandwich topped with coleslaw and their special sauce. She said it was very good, but mine looked better :)

post-4936-0-53515500-1374205397_thumb.jp

This is what the outside looks like.

post-4936-0-77121500-1374205753_thumb.jp

This was my rib plate. I waddled a bit when I left.

That night we stayed at her place. We had gone to Rouse's (a Louisiana version of Whole Foods) and picked up crawfish and burgers. So we made Mojitos (our Floribean contribution) and enjoyed her little courtyard. I left the next morning to head over to Buccaneer State Park in Mississippi. But along the way, stopped in New Orleans for lunch at New Orleans Hamburger and Seafood Company. They have a "thin catfish" that is amazing -comes with Garlic Butter Fries. (No idea why I thought that should be in caps, but maybe they are proper-noun good). I wanted to get to camp before dark so I didn't wander too much in New Orleans. It's one of my favorite places, but needs its own space.

More on Buccanneer State Park tomorrow. :)

The food looks great.  I like hummus, but really, we can get that at the grocery store now.  I agree, it would have to really super good to compete with your other food offerings.  The 'thin' catfish, is that exactly what it sounds like?  I would not want to be the person slicing the catfish thin.

Best crap joke I've seen. =)

:jumpforjoy

Those duck wings look incredible.  I love wings.  And I love duck.  Why would I not love duck wings??

Great write up!  I'm hungry now.  Which isn't really all that unusual. 

So yeah....a foodie trip report to Lafayette.  This is becoming my favorite thread of all time.  A few more coma inducing pics and I'll happily pass out.