From the Disney Parks Blog.  Follow the link to vote in the poll...

gir188577SMALL.jpg

Our very first Masai giraffe calf, a male, was born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom recently and will go out on the Kilimanjaro Safaris savanna within the next few weeks. We are excited to have you pick the baby’s name from a list prepared by our animal care team. It’s easy to cast your vote. Check the list below, make your choice and keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog to find out what name gets the most votes—I’ll post the results next Wednesday (July 31).

Did you know?

• There are two subspecies of giraffe—Masai and reticulated—roaming the Kilimanjaro Safaris savanna. Most are now Masai giraffe, with reticulated giraffe making their home on the savannas of Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. Having two kinds of giraffe enables cast members to share even more great stories about these amazing animals.
  • The Masai giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis tippelskirchi) can be found in southern Kenya and throughout Tanzania. Reticulated giraffes (Giraffa camelopardalis reticulata) are widely found in northern Kenya and in Somalia.
  • The Masai giraffe’s coat features jagged-edged patches. The patches are dark brown on a cream background, making the Masai the darkest-colored subspecies. The reticulated giraffe’s coat features a pattern of very defined patches that usually are orangish brown. The patches are separated by bright white lines, and the lower part of the legs are a lighter color.
  • It is estimated that there are fewer than 40,000 Masai giraffe in the wild. The reticulated giraffe is more threatened in the wild, with numbers fewer than 5,000. Giraffes are threatened by habitat loss and habitat fragmentation, poaching, and human-wildlife conflicts.
  • The Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund (DWCF) helps to support conservation programs for wildlife like giraffes. For example, through a recent project, the DWCF helped Tusk Trust USA and the Ruko Community Wildlife Conservancy reintroduce Rothschild’s giraffes in Kenya. This program also enhances community awareness of wildlife conservation through anti-poaching, wildlife monitoring, and educational programs in local schools. Since its inception in 1995, the DWCF has provided more than $4.5 million to support habitat conservation for giraffes and other African wildlife. Through a collaboration with Disneynature and the “See ‘African Cats,’ Save the Savanna” campaign, the DWCF also helped the African Wildlife Foundation to protect more than 65,000 acres of land in Kenya’s Amboseli Wildlife Corridor to enable indigenous animals including giraffes, cheetahs, and lions to roam freely between protected habitats.

What name did you vote for? Tell us about your favorite in the “Comments” section below or join the conversation on Twitter with the hashtag #DisneyGiraffe.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/07/wildlife-wednesdays-vote-to-name-the-first-masai-giraffe-born-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

Did you pick George Alexander Louis?  Pretty cool you got the shout out there from the Royals.

I've been snubbed by the Royals. Last time I loan them any money.

While on the phone with the Queen Mum last night, I suggested Louis George Alexander, but they didn't go for it.

So it's George, very boring, Alexander Louis Mountbatten. That's a mouth full.

Boy are you going to hear it from all the Georges on here, if there are any.

Hey, it isn't any worse than my name.  I hate mine and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy either.  (Sorry, Gwen Statz)

Dad wanted to name me Suzanne.  That would have fitted me better.  But my mother wouldn't hear of it.  And, as usual, she got her way.  For years Dad called me Suzi.  I loved it. 

Hey, it isn't any worse than my name. I hate mine and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy either. (Sorry, Gwen Statz)

Dad wanted to name me Suzanne. That would have fitted me better. But my mother wouldn't hear of it. And, as usual, she got her way. For years Dad called me Suzi. I loved it.

Are you kidding? Gwen or Gwendolyn are two of the prettiest names around.

George does how ever suck monkey butt!

Sorry all you George's out there. It's a good name for an adult but not a baby.

Are you kidding? Gwen or Gwendolyn are two of the prettiest names around.

I agree.

Me too! 

Thanks, guys.  But Gwendolyn was such a pain growing up (and still is).  I get so tired of having to spell it for everyone, along with my last name.  And I don't think it suits my personality very well.

I get so tired of having to spell it for everyone, along with my last name.

Same here. I spell my name Rebekah (how it is in the Bible) and I get all sorts of comments. "Oh, someone spelled your name wrong on the paperwork! How do your pronounce this? Oh that's unique way to spell it." So annoying.

My last name causes issues too.

Dave, ask Gwen how many times people misspell her name.  You wouldn't believe some of the combinations I get - ranging from Gwin, Gwyn, to Quin, and anything you can imagine in between.  To make matters worse, if someone needs my address I also have to spell the name of the street I live on and my city.  

Rebekah, I think your name is beautiful. 

Dave, ask Gwen how many times people misspell her name.  You wouldn't believe some of the combinations I get - ranging from Gwin, Gwyn, to Quin, and anything you can imagine in between.  To make matters worse, if someone needs my address I also have to spell the name of the street I live on and my city.  

Rebekah, I think your name is beautiful. 

I think we ran into that more in Buffalo than here.  It's not all that uncommon here for some reason. 

Luckily here in NH we're close enough to the Canadian border that people usually get Monique right.

Not so much when I lived in RI and upstate NY.

And I've frequently gotten Monica and, for some reason, Michelle.

Throw in the fact that my full maiden name has all but 9 letters of the alphabet in it (including Q, V & Z) and I swear my parents were taking bets about how long it would take me to learn to write it.

Throw in the fact that my full maiden name has all but 9 letters of the alphabet in it (including Q, V & Z) and I swear my parents were taking bets about how long it would take me to learn to write it.

They really should have named you Sue to even that out! Holy cow! I bet your name never fit on the forms with the little boxes.