The TCD Gang Sails Again!: A Four Night Disney Dream Trip Report

Wow, what a trip so far. Some day we're going to try one of these cruises - they sail out of NYC sometimes and I'd love to experience it.

It would be pretty cool to sail past the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline on a Disney ship.

Great first day. Or half of your first day. I'm looking into a Disney cruise for thanksgiving or Christmas. Thanks. This TR might cost me a small fortune.

Yes, Thanksgiving and Christmas cost a small fortune.  Our only week long cruise was on the Magic for Thanksgiving week in 2005.  That did not cost a small fortune.  It cost a regular fortune.

I wrote my last comment last night but didn't hit post. Oops!!

Im really enjoying the pix. Thanks for taking us along n

Glad you posted.  Thanks for riding along.

Steak sandwich and steak fries......now youre talking my language!!!

Nice job getting a blue neon cube this time.

Are those things re-usable. I think i may have asked you that before but i forgot the answer if so.

Nice sunset pics by the twins.

As always, looking forward to more sir!

Yes, the steak sandwich was awesome.  But probably not the best thing to eat at 1 am before heading to bed.

Yes, the ice cubes are reusable, and there's a button on them to set the color. Or, if you like, it will flash through all the colors.  We still have the cubes from the last cruise, plus these.   I'll need to remember to bring them to the Fort next time I go.

Your towel animal that night looks like a butt. 

(I am giggling myself silly right now...I guess I know where my kids' love of potty humor comes from)

I guess it's about time for school to start again.  You need some adult time.

I've had good luck with the Canon underwater camera. Z dropped mine several times, but they are shock proof and nothing happened to it. I liked it so much that after several years of having it, I recently bought the new model. Z is trying to be on good behavior and earn my old one. He loves taking pictures.

Jason does like snorkeling, so I'll make sure I show him those pictures when they come!

Looks like a great first night!

We went through two Fuji underwater cameras last year. One got dropped and sank near Winter the dolphin's home in Clearwater. The second died on Castaway Cay. I looked for the cheapest underwater camera I could find this time, and found the Kodak for $79 on Amazon. It gets the job done. I think that's about half what the Fuji cameras cost each.

The snorkeling on Castaway Cay comes with some surprise Disney touches. You'll see.

TCD

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True story.....Jack skipped the safety drill.  Had he gone, he would have known that there was plenty of room for him on that board next to Rose. 

Really!  I don't know how they conned us into going back to Enchanted Garden for that limited menu when we could have enjoyed one last buffet at Cabanas.  Oh well....next time. 

Those gates reminded me of something, but I couldn't place it.  And then it came to me.   

The tablemates thing would not be our cup of tea.  I don't like people.  And we are a weird bunch.  We laugh amongst ourselves at silly things.  It would make others uncomfortable to be around us.  Plus, the whole self-consciousness over taking pood forn would stink big time.  This is one moment when I guess being a family of 7 has benefits.  I don't see us having to worry about tablemates for many years. 

The tablemates thing would not be our cup of tea.  I don't like people.  And we are a weird bunch.  We laugh amongst ourselves at silly things.  It would make others uncomfortable to be around us.  Plus, the whole self-consciousness over taking pood forn would stink big time.  This is one moment when I guess being a family of 7 has benefits.  I don't see us having to worry about tablemates for many years. 

Yeah, we didn't like it either.

The family we got matched with was fine.  Nice folks.  But, it did interrupt our normal dinner conversation.  And that was one thing that I was really looking forward to.  Our oldest had been in Alabama all summer, and we had only seen her a couple of times in that stretch, and Twin #2 had just arrived back from Tallahassee, after being gone for six weeks, just the day before we sailed.  We had some catching up to do, and having three strangers sitting there with us wasn't real conducive to that.  We made the best of it though.  I've never requested a table arrangement on a DCL cruise, but I understand that you can.  Next time, I will.

On our previous cruises as a couple, Mrs. TCD and I have had some very interesting tablemates.  I have a good story to share about one cruise in particular.  I'll get to that one before this report ends.

TCD

I don't like table mates either (unless I know them). When Brian and I were on our honeymoon we had 6 tablemates, and they were a group. It sucked. My parents always request a table for 2 on cruises. They always get stuck with real winners on the auto train for dinner. Dad will just flat out ignore them but mom tries to make small talk.

Also worth noting in that photo is the grown woman wearing the Snow White dress.  Why?  If you are an adult, and it's not Halloween, do not wear your Snow White dress out in public.  Thank you.  On second thought, even if it's Halloween, don't wear that dress out in public.

Here's our towel animal and Navigator for the night:

IMG_5446_zps5e90ec91.jpg

I believe that's a frog.

Would a different princess dress be okay, in you opinion, or are you anti-grown ups dressing as princesses in general?  Not that I dress as a princess.  At least not in public.  OK, yes, I will wear a tiara at WDW.  But that is as far as it goes.  At least until WWW 2014.  Then all bets are off and MPR applies.

I disbelieve that is a frog.  (Yes, an D&D term - my geek is showing)  I will not say what i think it looks like.  This is not WWW, so i am pretending I am a lady.

I don't like table mates either (unless I know them). When Brian and I were on our honeymoon we had 6 tablemates, and they were a group. It sucked. My parents always request a table for 2 on cruises. They always get stuck with real winners on the auto train for dinner. Dad will just flat out ignore them but mom tries to make small talk.

Our most memorable tablemates are from a cruise we took for our first anniversary.  It's a long story, so I'll save it for the end.

I generally have no problem with tablemates- but this cruise was different.  I didn't want to spend it making small talk with strangers- I wanted to have a good old time as a family.  We had fun, but we had to be subdued.

Would a different princess dress be okay, in you opinion, or are you anti-grown ups dressing as princesses in general?  Not that I dress as a princess.  At least not in public.  OK, yes, I will wear a tiara at WDW.  But that is as far as it goes.  At least until WWW 2014.  Then all bets are off and MPR applies.

I disbelieve that is a frog.  (Yes, an D&D term - my geek is showing)  I will not say what i think it looks like.  This is not WWW, so i am pretending I am a lady.

For you, Marty, I will make an exception.

You have my permission to wear a princess dress whenever and wherever you like.

But only you.

Oh come off it.  Admit it.  It looks exactly like a butt.  No need to be ladylike about it.  :rofl2:

Y'all need to get out more.  That is totally a frog.

Great report so far!  Page 6 bragging rights?

I officially just priced out cruise options from Vancouver.  Hubby won't be happy.

:)

I'd love to take a cruise from Vancouver.  There must be some deals some time of the year. No?

TCD

Since I shortchanged you on that last update, I am going to post one more update today.  And this one will have a full 30 photos.  Nobody can complain about not getting his money's worth out of a TCD TR.

We left off with our late night room service. 

I don't think I mentioned that on this cruise, I was able to get connecting cabins.  That is how we usually do it.  On the last cruise, I could only get adjacent, not connecting cabins, but it meant we had to go out in the hall and use a key to get from room to room.  This time, we had connecting doors inside.  I like that.  We closed the doors at night, but it was nice to be able to go back and forth between the cabins.

Even though it was well past 1 am before I went to bed Sunday night, I was up by 6 on Monday, grabbed a quick shower, and was out the door to explore what would hopefully be an empty ship.

I headed right down the hall in front of our cabin, and arrived outside of the Enchanted Garden restaurant.  It's pretty sweet that we could just walk down the hall to get there:

DCL2013135_zps76f9e970.jpg

That photo was taken at 6:39 am.  Nobody else was around. I love the peace and quiet you find on a ship in the early morning.

I saw something strange down the hall this time.  There were two cabin doors painted blue:

DCL2013139_zps3de35f61.jpg

These cabins are apparently being used by the DVC for some purpose:

DCL2013138_zps318daf00.jpg

These doors weren't painted and didn't look like this last year.

I headed up the stairs here, and was in the atrium.  You see why I love the location of our cabins?

Here's a Hidden Mickey in the metalwork around the mid-ship elevators:

DCL2013136_zps7629b649.jpg

The Admiral Donald statue in the atrium.  That's the Royal Palace restaurant entrance you see in the background:

DCL2013140_zps1ecd3b34.jpg

It is a cool feeling to be the only person in this huge beautiful atrium on a very crowded ship:

DCL2013142_zps7918a89f.jpg

The Royal Palace sign:

DCL2013143_zps07401fca.jpg

If you like, you can have a sit down breakfast in the morning in the Royal Palace.  They don't open until later in the morning, so we always just go to the buffet at Cabana's, but here's the menu for anyone interested:

DCL2013144_zps2fed74f9.jpg

I never realized that there were two murals and two similar chairs like this on either side of the mid-ship elevators, even thought I've walked past both many times.  Duh:

DCL2013145_zps83fad895.jpg

DCL2013146_zps306bf753.jpg

This is the long hall that runs between Royal Palace and the Animator Palate restaurant.  I really like to walk down it:

DCL2013147_zpsff5ab06d.jpg

I took a peek into Royal Palace:

DCL2013148_zpsedefb2b5.jpg

And then in Animator's Palate when we got there:

DCL2013150_zps6b4a6376.jpg

There are some really cool details on display in this restaurant.  I have never really taken the time to explore it.  One day I will:

DCL2013151_zps65a7b7df.jpg

Here's the AP dinner menu for anyone interested. They don't serve breakfast here:

DCL2013153_zpse3bad2e2.jpg

I took the elevator from here up to Deck 11, and ended up by Nigel, who guards the aft elevators on Deck 11:

DCL2013154_zps716382aa.jpg

I popped out to the 24 hour beverage station and got a nice hot cup of Nescafe'.  Just like at the Fort.

They were just getting the chairs set up around the pools:

DCL2013155_zpse51f69d2.jpg

We had a sunset photo courtesy of Twin #1 from Sunday night.  Here's the sunrise photo from Monday morning.  We go hard in the TCD gang:

DCL2013156_zps898cb377.jpg

The first rays of sunshine hitting the AD sign:

DCL2013158_zps9c1f92e5.jpg

Soon, these pool chairs will be set up.  And hoards of moms in their jammies will appear to put towels on them.  Even though chair saving is not allowed.  Just like at the Fort:

DCL2013159_zps3e6b7240.jpg

The Mickey Slide.  It's about the same size as the slide at the Meadow Swimming Pool at Fort Wilderness. But only kids can ride this:

DCL2013160_zps466efc35.jpg

Hey look at that weirdo.  A middle aged man walking around the ship in the early morning taking random photos of everything.  So strange:

DCL2013161_zps36383383.jpg

The sky on the starboard side of the ship, opposite the sunrise:

DCL2013162_zps4d6a27cc.jpg

There are no signs of land yet- just open water for as far as the eye can see.  Pretty cool.

Funnels:

DCL2013165_zps60d2acfc.jpg

The DCL logo.  Whoever designed this did a great job:

DCL2013166_zps4c47a459.jpg

This is the Waves bar, which is located behind the rear smokestack on Deck 11.  I have never seen a single customer here.  Never.  On the Fantasy, this is a water play area for kids.  They ought to do that on the Dream too:

DCL2013167_zpsb0c247f2.jpg

Looking up from here, you can see the Sports Deck above.  There are Hidden Mickeys on the poles:

DCL2013168_zps4294dd40.jpg

Back in Cabana's, here's a photo of a part of a mural that depicts all of the Disney theme park castles.  This is the one for the Magic Kingdom:

DCL2013169_zps997562ed.jpg

Now, we are up on the sports deck.  Here's a look at the basketball court- note all of the Hidden Mickeys on the poles:

DCL2013170_zpsa1645b6c.jpg

The girls had asked me to get them up early this morning, as they had big plans for our day in Nassau.  I checked to see if I could see land before heading below:

DCL2013171_zpsd26f2efd.jpg

Nope.

I don't see land.

Next up.

Land Ho!

And we meet some princesses.

Actually all of them, but I didn't want to brag.

TCD

Early morning was my favorite time on the Dream.  Just like it is at the Fort.  Peaceful as could be. 

Regarding the saving of deck chairs....I personally wasn't bothered by it, as we do not sit in deck chairs.  Ever.  Even at the Fort, or any hotel.  We go in the water.  Or we leave.  All we need is a place to put our towels and bag if we have one.  The DIT gang does not sit in the sun.  As far as I'm concerned, they could throw all the deck chairs overboard. 

And we meet some princesses.

Actually all of them, but I didn't want to brag.

TCD

Even Leia?

Do you need ADRs for breakfast in the sit down places?

No. We do all our meals in the regular resturants. We only do the "buffet" on the day we board. You do need ressies for Palo and Remy's but those are the "dressy" places and they only serve dinner with an extra charge..

The only DCL cruise is ALASKA and they book fairly fast.

I think there have been some GTY rates offered this summer.

Early morning was my favorite time on the Dream.  Just like it is at the Fort.  Peaceful as could be. 

Regarding the saving of deck chairs....I personally wasn't bothered by it, as we do not sit in deck chairs.  Ever.  Even at the Fort, or any hotel.  We go in the water.  Or we leave.  All we need is a place to put our towels and bag if we have one.  The DIT gang does not sit in the sun.  As far as I'm concerned, they could throw all the deck chairs overboard. 

Even Leia?

The TCD gang loves deck chairs.  I could sit in one all day provided there's beer.  We go up to Deck 12 and look down, though.  Deck 11 can get scary.

OK, you got me, no Leia.  And no Rapunzel.  Or Merida. Or Mulan. Or Pocahontas (is she a princess?)  But other than that it was all of them. I think.

And there are some of the passengers that should be sitting in them when the do. :))

Whoa!

Good one Dave.

That is a fun idea.

I don't think Leia is official yet.

Do you need ADRs for breakfast in the sit down places?

I think Dave was kidding about Leia.

No, you don't need ADR's for breakfast.  I think most people don't want to take the time for a sit down at breakfast.  I know we don't.  From what I've heard, the sit-down breakfast is not crowded, as Grumpy says below:

No. We do all our meals in the regular resturants. We only do the "buffet" on the day we board. You do need ressies for Palo and Remy's but those are the "dressy" places and they only serve dinner with an extra charge..

Well said.

So, do you even eat lunch in a sit down place? We always rely on the buffets and the quick serve places by the pool for breakfast and lunch.

TCD

do you even eat lunch in a sit down place? We always rely on the buffets and the quick serve places by the pool for breakfast and lunch.  TCD

Yep! Grandma is spoiled.....She wants to be served.....:lol: besides we don't over indulge that way.

I love the early morning pics.

I have a feeling that would be my favorite time of the day on the ship; just like at the Fort.

I know from other reports that some fiends dont even bother getting off the boat in Nassau. What will you decide? Such a cliffhanger.

I would rather stay on the boat. It seems there would be enough to keep us busy and entertained without getting off the ship there.

I always love the Castaway Cay pics too. Looking forward to those.

Man this really makes me want to go on one of these cruises.

Yep! Grandma is spoiled.....She wants to be served..... :)) besides we don't over indulge that way.

You know what?   I didn't even know there was a sit down lunch offered anywhere.  I don't recall ever seeing a menu.  I would be interested in knowing what they offer.

I love the early morning pics.

I have a feeling that would be my favorite time of the day on the ship; just like at the Fort.

I know from other reports that some fiends dont even bother getting off the boat in Nassau. What will you decide? Such a cliffhanger.

I would rather stay on the boat. It seems there would be enough to keep us busy and entertained without getting off the ship there.

I always love the Castaway Cay pics too. Looking forward to those.

Man this really makes me want to go on one of these cruises.

Yes, early morning on the ship is a lot like having the Fort to yourself.

I will add to the cliffhanger.

Nassau presented us with a bit of a dilemma.

Twin #1 asked that since the legal drinking age there is 18, she would like to go to Senor Frogs and have a drink. 

I was younger than 18 when I had my first drink.

But I grew up in New Jersey.

So, it's not the same.

I wasn't sure how to handle this.  Mrs. TCD has shared with the girls how she took a cruise by herself with three of her girlfriends (what were her parents thinking?) right after she graduated high school.  They all drank on that cruise.  It was legal.

We don't let the girls drink at home.  We try to be law abiding citizens.

But this was legal.

What to do?

You'll find out what happened later.

After we meet the princesses.

TCD

TCD, you need to do a sit down breakfast at Royal Palace at least once.  They had AWESOME eggs benedict!  Plus, just because you had eggs benedict at Royal Palace, that doesn't preclude you from going up to Cabanas and eating again.  Or to Enchanted Garden for their buffet, for that matter.  In fact, why not hit all 3?

TCD, you need to do a sit down breakfast at Royal Palace at least once.  They had AWESOME eggs benedict!  Plus, just because you had eggs benedict at Royal Palace, that doesn't preclude you from going up to Cabanas and eating again.  Or to Enchanted Garden for their buffet, for that matter.  In fact, why not hit all 3?

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

That should go on the next LOF- eat breakfast in three places.  On the same morning.

I noticed they have grits on the menu at Royal Palace.  I don't remember seeing them in Cabanas.  But they could have them there- that place is so big- who knows what they have?  I found a place there where they will make you an omelet to order.   And they have steaks sitting there so you can have steak and eggs.  I wish there was some way where I could eat there once a week.  After the second morning, I really didn't want to eat breakfast, but it all sounds so good to me now.

TCD

Yep! Grandma is spoiled.....She wants to be served.....:lol: besides we don't over indulge that way.

This is a very good point. Your portions are controlled more lol. When we did Carnival 6 years ago sit down lunch (when offered) was way less crowded than the buffet. I think sit down is something everyone should try at least once.

You know what?   I didn't even know there was a sit down lunch offered anywhere.  I don't recall ever seeing a menu.  I would be interested in knowing what they offer.

I can say that we had the sit down lunch in the Royal Palace. I have pictures and menus. 

P.S. yes I know get back to work on my TR