The TCD Gang Sails Again!: A Four Night Disney Dream Trip Report

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True story.....Jack skipped the safety drill.  Had he gone, he would have known that there was plenty of room for him on that board next to Rose. 

Really!  I don't know how they conned us into going back to Enchanted Garden for that limited menu when we could have enjoyed one last buffet at Cabanas.  Oh well....next time. 

Those gates reminded me of something, but I couldn't place it.  And then it came to me.   

Parade ops plans on the parade going as normal until the last minute. The storm must not have shown as severe on the radar so they made the call to proceed. Of course, you were towards the end of the route, if I remember correctly. So the parade had already stepped off and was well underway. So the storm may have moved quicker than expected. If they can get the parade through before the storm, they will still send it. In fact, Ive seen modified parades at MK allot. The MISICI will step off and just drive around the hub and back, the 3:00 parade will step off early, they will pull the dancers and some floats from the parades to make it move quicker. It all boils down to, once the parade steps off, it will continue to the end.

Thanks for that information. It seemed like this parade had been pared down. I think the plan was to send them out quick, and hope that they get back before the rain hit. They almost made it. It was not raining where we were when the parade got to us. A few more minutes, and they would have made it. I've never seen characters out in the rain like that before. But, I did see Tigger jump in a pool once. And Goofy waterski.

Of course I know. I wouldn't ask if I didn't know the answer.

Yes, the PDAs the servers use do have something to do with it. But whats one of the first things they tell you to do after placing your order? Find a table and place your rose on it. The reason is, there is an RFID reader embedded in the tables. When you place your rose on the table, it reads the unique ID and associates it with your order then updates the system with which table you are sitting at. Then the server reads the info on the PDA to find your table.

Next time youre there, feel the bottom of the table. There is a large square area that will be hot. That is the reader.

Wow. I had no idea about the readers built in to the table. I will look next time. Maybe even take a photo. That won't seem weird, will it?

Besides her orange and blue problem, Twin 1 reminds me a lot of myself. I think she'll be happy she didn't join a sorority. Several of my friends who did admitted to being miserable. Too much girl drama.

I can't believe that they did the parade in that much rain.

I'm guessing you're going to the Poly. But you should go to the Contemporary and check out that Turkey sandwich!

See, Orange and Blue people are people too.

I agree with you-Twin #1 would hate being in a sorority.  She would hate having people tell her what to do.  She just got caught up in all of the hoopla and excitement. 

That said, Twin #2 just found out that she made it into one.  She is a pledge or whatever they call it.  So far, she likes it.  But we'll see.

The Poly is a good guess, but the Contemporary is even a better one. Stay tuned.

I am glad that our family is complete.  That can't be good for the fertility of any dude sitting on that side of the table.

No kidding.  Did you catch the part where Dave said that the table gets warm where the reader is?  That can't be good for you.

Fantasy does have Concierge sun deck but no gates.

No gates?

What protects the concierge guests from the commoners?

I would be outraged.

TCD

If you are still reading this report, congratulations are in order.  You have made it to the end.  This is it.  No more bonus features or anything.

It was just me and Twin #1 heading out of Animal Kingdom, looking for a dry place to wait out the storm.

There was a bus in the Wilderness Lodge space!  Perfect!

Then it left!

Boo!

But, there was a bus still loading in the next space.

That's the one for the Contemporary and Polynesian Resort.

That would work.

We hopped on.

This would work fine, as we wanted to go to Epcot to finish our day.  Now we could take the monorail.

We made our way to the third floor.  Yes, I said 3rd.  Not 4th.  The 3rd floor is a great place to hang out during the day.  There are couches everywhere, and really nice restrooms.  This is where all the ballrooms are.  If they're not in use, then the place is quiet, and there is lots of seating.  The only thing bad is the view:

82413079_zps0dde2623.jpg

What's wrong with that view, you ask?

This:

fourseasons82413_zps597de08d.jpg

Aye. Aye. Aye, that abomination is ugly!  Way to ruin a great view, Disney.

We chilled here for a while and dried off a bit.

Then headed up to the 4th floor for a drink.  The Contemporary has Joffrey's coffee now, and new drink machines, but the RFID chips aren't being used yet:

82413080_zpsc3c3ff2f.jpg

This blurry photo shows that there are carafes for decaffeinated coffee.  The Fort didn't have one when we were there, but they have it here:

82413081_zps3ada48b8.jpg

Here's a new problem.  Did anyone think about how the staff is supposed to wash those giant pots?  Apparently, they're slippery.  oops:

82413082_zps1d76ba35.jpg

From here, we headed up to the monorail.  Ours wasn't there yet, so I could look across the tracks and out the window and see all the new bus stops:

82413085_zps1bdef84e.jpg

Let's take a closer look at that.  All of those shiny roofs are new.  Why do they need all of these new stops?  This photo also shows that new retention pond that I tried to show in a previous photo:

mkbusstop_zpse8618999.jpg

You used to be able to look out these giant windows and see Bay Lake and trees.  Now you can see giant mouse ears and a big building:

82413086_zpsa4083f6f.jpg

Over this way, you used to be able to see that big, magnificent, mural.  Now those mouse ears are in the way. At least they've kept their grubby mitts off of the mural:

82413087_zps798680d5.jpg

Our monorail came, and we left.  An Epcot monorail was waiting for us at the TTC, and off we went.

Epcot wasn't busy.  There was a Magic Band kiosk by the tip board, and a perky CM there to answer questions.  I asked her how I could get my stupid Magic Band.  She said check the passholder website.  Gee thanks.

But, I have some good news.  The new Epcot Starbucks looks like it is almost ready to open.  Yay! :

82413094_zps391650be.jpg

As expected, there was no way we could ride TT or Soarin', so we headed to Norway.

Twin #1 had read someplace that part of the gift shop was closed, and that there was speculation that they were building a meet and greet area for the princesses from the movie Frozen. 

We rode the ride.

When we got to the end, they had the doors to the movie open, even though the movie was playing, and they were letting guests walk through.  That was decent of them.  I'm not sure if that's new, or we just got lucky.

We checked out the gift shop.  That rumor is false.  No meet and greet area anywhere to be seen.  Which is good.  That would be a terrible place to put a meet and greet.

We decided on Japan quick serve for our dinner.  So we went there.  Not bad.  Not good.  About on par with what you might get in a mall food court.  It will do.

Then we headed to France.

I told you we would be going back to that ice cream place.

I'll bet you didn't think it would be in this trip report.

Same deal, so no new pics.

Plus there was a really drunk guy in a Woody t-shirt who tried to hit on Twin #1.  Really.

I wanted to try the profiterole flavor.  But, the compartment where it was supposed to be was empty.  Darn.  Must be popular.  So, had to quickly pick something else.  Since I'm going to eventually try every flavor, I picked the one next to it- hazelnut.  It tasted like nutella minus the chocolate. In other words, not great.  But not bad either.  Twin #1 could care less about broadening her horizons.  She had mint chocolate chip again.

It was about 8:30 when we finished our ice cream.  It wasn't crowded.  The rain had stopped.  We decided to stay for Illuminations.

We also decided that it was time to try watching Illuminations from the bridge between France and the UK.  People say it's a good spot.  My objection has always been that you can't see the big golf ball from here.  Did you know that?  Well, you can't.  I like that big golf ball.

Anyway, we were early enough to get a spot right on the rail.  Which was good, because a good sized crowd gathered behind us.

I guess this bridge is considered a prime spot.  Below us, six pontoon boats pulled up, and tied up to each other.  Those folks had paid big bucks for Illuminations cruises.  They probably had a worse view than we did, since we were above them. Suckers.

I will only share 3 photos from Illuminations.  That's plenty.  This is one from near the beginning:

82413102_zps89901d8b.jpg

Look down at the lower right of that photo.  You see all those spots?  Those are the screens of guests taking photos and videos.  That is some kind of reserved area, but I don't know who it's for.  Sometimes I've seen food and drink set up in there, but not tonight.  It was just people who got let in to see Illuminations.  I've heard the FP+ location is across the lagoon, facing the America pavilion.  So who are these VIPS?

Here's a laser and smoke photo for anyone who likes that:

82413118_zps83f8c176.jpg

And then this one is from somewhere near the finale:

82413126_zpsba7664e3.jpg

Note the ducks swimming around in the water.  Those are some crazy ducks.

And that was it.

We decided to head out the back and take a bus from the Beach Club to the MK.  We learned something by doing that.  We arrived at the MK in time to see the 10 pm fireworks.  So, if you ever have the desire to see both Illuminations and Wishes, and if Wishes is at 10 pm or later, this is the way to do it.

We didn't stay for Wishes.

We went and got the car and headed for home.

And that, ladies and gents, is all I have for you.

Thanks for reading all of it.

TCD

Wow! You covered a lot in this trip report! I love it!

I don't know if DD17 will want to go through rush next year when she goes to college, but I really don't think it is her cup of tea. I know it wasn't mine. I didn't go through rush at UGA. But, I think if she were in Twin 1's shoes, she'd want to come home, too. I wouldn't be able to take her to Disney for the day, though. Good job! I showed her the dorm pictures- she was very interested. I don't think she had even thought about dorm decor yet. We got some good ideas! Tell your DDs thanks!

The mine train is coming along slowly, isn't it? I wonder if it will be finished by New Year's? I hope so! I have never been at AK with that much rain, wow! Y'all had to have gotten soaked! I hope you had ponchos! And waterproof shoes! We like to watch Illuminations from the bridge when we stay at the Yacht Club just for the convenience of leaving quickly afterwards. But when we are staying at the Fort, we usually get school bread or caramel popcorn and watch from the Norway side of the lagoon.

TCD,

So happy you could use the Space Mountain FP's. Awesome that you and the twins were able to do back to back rides! Thanks again for the spike!

Loved seeing the dorm room! I was surprised all over again to see the private bath and little kitchen area. We pay over 25k for our son to go to our state university and believe me his dorm room is NOTHING like that!!!

Hope all three girls are doing well and you and Mrs. TCD are adjusting as best you can. Hopefully another trip is on the horizon for you!

As always a great read and I look forward to the next one!

Heidi

Epic!  And to think...this report started on a cruise.  Seems so long ago. 

The cruise began almost exactly one month ago today.  Hard to believe.  It does seem so long ago.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Enjoyed every minute of it. 

Thanks for reading it all!

I'm so sorry it's over!  Can't you find a few more bonus pics?  Please, please, please?

Sorry, but I am fresh out of bonus material.

But, I am about to post a few photos on the College Football thread.

Wow! You covered a lot in this trip report! I love it!

I don't know if DD17 will want to go through rush next year when she goes to college, but I really don't think it is her cup of tea. I know it wasn't mine. I didn't go through rush at UGA. But, I think if she were in Twin 1's shoes, she'd want to come home, too. I wouldn't be able to take her to Disney for the day, though. Good job! I showed her the dorm pictures- she was very interested. I don't think she had even thought about dorm decor yet. We got some good ideas! Tell your DDs thanks!

The mine train is coming along slowly, isn't it? I wonder if it will be finished by New Year's? I hope so! I have never been at AK with that much rain, wow! Y'all had to have gotten soaked! I hope you had ponchos! And waterproof shoes! We like to watch Illuminations from the bridge when we stay at the Yacht Club just for the convenience of leaving quickly afterwards. But when we are staying at the Fort, we usually get school bread or caramel popcorn and watch from the Norway side of the lagoon.

I have thought all along that the Mine Train would be finished in time for them to have previews and other things to hype during the Christmas holiday 2013.  But, seeing how slow it's going, I don't think it will be ready to go until some time in 2014.  The last few big projects Disney has done have been completed earlier than advertised.  I don't think this one is going to be done that early. They've been saying 2014, and I think that is what it's going to be.

This was our first time watching Illuminations from the bride.  Every other time, we've been somewhere around the America pavilion.  I liked the bridge, but I didn't like not being able to see Spaceship Earth.  It didn't seem right.

You should write a book for newbies and those of us that haven't been in a while. 

You really seem to know the in's and out's of Disney World.  I'd be the first to buy it.....

You're right- I should write a book.  I was thinking about a guide to Deliberate Mickeys.

I'm in on 25...  Thank You TCD...  I hope the girls are enjoying their respective schools.

Page 25!  Way to go!

So far, all the girls are happy with their school choices.  I hope it stays that way!

TCD gets the award for longest trip report ever. It just didn't want to end. Thanks. Learned a ton again.

Longest trip report?  Not even close.  There's a TR on here that has never ended.  This one doesn't come close.

TCD,

So happy you could use the Space Mountain FP's. Awesome that you and the twins were able to do back to back rides! Thanks again for the spike!

Loved seeing the dorm room! I was surprised all over again to see the private bath and little kitchen area. We pay over 25k for our son to go to our state university and believe me his dorm room is NOTHING like that!!!

Hope all three girls are doing well and you and Mrs. TCD are adjusting as best you can. Hopefully another trip is on the horizon for you!

As always a great read and I look forward to the next one!

Heidi

Thanks for reading, Heidi.

Glad you like your spike, and thanks again for those Fastpasses!

TCD

She told us that this was not a bad line, and that it usually takes an hour to get in at lunch. I love it when someone who doesn't know what they're talking about tries to tell me something about a Disney park. And those people are everywhere. I never correct them. I just smile on the inside.  

Ha ha. Lady had no idea who she was talking to. It's like saying, "I think I'll go to the park and play a game of chess against someone," and then sitting across from Bobby Fischer.

Our estimate of the wait time was pretty close.  It took us only about 15 minutes to reach this point, which is where you get in the tube and go:

DCLUnderwater346_zps6590d3c0.jpg

We only had about 5 or 6 people left in front of us at this point, and looking behind us, it looked like the line had not gotten any worse.  We would be able to get in 3 or 4 rides in about 45 minutes.  That's good.

But then something happened.

A kid barely over the height requirement got stuck.  This, unfortunately, is a common occurrence.  If there isn't enough weight on the tube, it gets stuck at the base of the second hill.  That's what happened to this kid.  We've been through this drill before.  They have to shut off the water and send a CM in to get the kid.  Which is what they did.  That takes 10 or 15 minutes, and then the painful part comes where they turn the water back on and they make everyone wait another 10 minutes before the next rider can go.  That last 10 minutes is awful.  And it is hot inside that funnel. There isn't enough air circulation, because it's mainly enclosed.  Add all that chlorinated water, and the humidity, and it's a sweat box.  Since we were so close, we waited through all of this.  That set us back about 30 minutes, and we agreed that we would just ride once now, and hope for the best after dinner.

Finally, they began to send people down the slide again.  The first two folks went.  No problem.  Then came another skinny boy who wanted to go solo.  We had all just waited a half hour because the last skinny boy got stuck.  There were people in line who asked the CM not to let the kid go.  But, he met the height requirement, so she let him.  Guess what happened?  Yup.  He got stuck.  In the same place as the last kid.  The CM apologized, although not very sincerely, and said it would be the same length of time before the slide would be operational again.  The people in front of us, who had asked the CM not to send the kid were really mad.  They decided to leave.  And after thinking about it for a minute, so did we.  We had already wasted enough precious time on this last day of the cruise.  It wasn't worth standing there sweating for another 30 minutes just for one ride.  So we left too.  That was a big fail.  Stuff happens.

That was the end of our pool time for the afternoon.  Evening was now approaching, and we needed to go and get ready for tonight's show, which we all had agreed we would go and see.

TCD

They need a speaker at the hill to tell the kid to hang on, were going to send.... Fat Albert (in my best Bill Cosby voice).

• 3 weeks later...

We are sailing on the 3 day tomorrow!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

That's awesome!

The weather here has been terrible the past three days.  But, it's supposed to clear up and be nice for the weekend.

Just in time for your cruise.

Have a great time!

Take some photos and be sure to share your experience in a little trip report when you get back.

TCD