My Disney Experience & Magic Bands & Fastpass+

Where are the kiosks?  I must have walked past them at some point, but I can't remember noticing them.

How many are there?

TCD

The announcement was not specific as to how many or as to the locations at the parks and DTD.

It was mainly to describe what the kiosks were for and to announce that there would be transfer opportunities for CMs.

As the MyMagic program has not been rolled out yet, I wouldn't be surprised if they're not even up yet.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New C.O.P. scene........   Look at that family of four walking through the hub and bumping into other people staring at their little gizmos Ma.  Isn't it cute?  I mean the four of them walking around

Oh well, at least we can still have an ooey-gooey warm MSB cinnamon roll.

We should change that smiley to beating a cinnamon roll....

I am not a fan of kiosks.

Everytime I have walked by one in the past, I get sprayed with cologne when I am not looking or someone tries to sell me a cell phone, etc.

In most cases I feel a strong urge toward violence.

Between Tweedle and Tweedle Dumber, aka, TCD and Dave, a good laugh was needed, and this did the trick.

But if that's the case, I don't understand why those people won't go over to the kiosks to do whatever they needed to do on their phone. 

The kiosks are there for people experiencing problems or like me and Bob, don't have a smartphone.

Well to play devil's advocate... they'll first have to know there are kiosks, then they'll need to find out where they are, then they'll need to drag their butts over there to stand in line with all the other clueless people to bitch explain to the helpful CM why they don't know how to use their own phone and how it's Disney's problem not theirs, and then hope and pray that the CM standing there has knowledge of their specific type of phone/tablet and can help troubleshoot whatever is going on - which could be anything from forgetting a password to having  a bug or conflicting app that's blowing things up.

It seems unlikely that Disney has trained all those CMs on every single smart phone and operating system out there (or will keep them current as new ones come out every other month). And while sure, as in Memphis' case they may be able to give them a temporary solution for the particular FP they're trying to use/schedule, if they don't get to the root cause of the problem, that Guest is going to have to go find a kiosk every time they want one of their 3 FPs per day... every day.

Not super magical.

Where are the kiosks?  I must have walked past them at some point, but I can't remember noticing them.

How many are there?

TCD

The one we went to at HS was by the FP distribution for TOT. The one in the resort was in the lobby by check-in desk.  There is also one at every guest relations location. In fact every FP return line has the equipment needed to troubleshoot/ fix the problems.  Disney just needs to get more CM trained on the system.  All the CMs had at the help desk was an IPad with a scanner attached.. But again all the problems we had with the system were my fault. 

But if that's the case, I don't understand why those people won't go over to the kiosks to do whatever they needed to do on their phone. 

The kiosks are there for people experiencing problems or like me and Bob, don't have a smartphone.

Well to play devil's advocate... they'll first have to know there are kiosks, then they'll need to find out where they are, then they'll need to drag their butts over there to stand in line with all the other clueless people to bitch explain to the helpful CM why they don't know how to use their own phone and how it's Disney's problem not theirs (even though it's not), and then hope and pray that the CM standing there has knowledge of their specific type of phone/tablet and can help troubleshoot whatever is going on - which could be anything from forgetting a password to having  a bug or conflicting app that's blowing things up.

It seems unlikely that Disney has trained all those CMs on every single smart phone and operating system out there (or will keep them current as new ones come out every other month). And while sure, as in Memphis' case they may be able to give them a temporary solution for the particular FP they're trying to use/schedule, if they don't get to the root cause of the problem, that Guest is going to have to go find a kiosk every time they want one of their 3 FPs per day... every day.

Not super magical.

Then again for those of us that do know how to work our smart phones and figure this out, I suppose we'll benefit from those people being in the kiosk lines instead of in front of us in the FP lines.  8)

another small rant

rant on/

It is not just Disney that is doing this but I was informed of an update to the app that required me to give Disney permission to use my camera, video, and audio on my phone to take pictures, video or audio of anything my phone may see or hear. It can do this without you being able to tell its happening. I refused to give permission so I could not get the update so I am not sure how much longer my app will still work.  Why do they need to be able to capture pictures or video from my phone.  Like I said its not just Disney doing this. Bank of America's latest update had the same requirement, heck even the simple card solitaire game on my phone wanted the same permissions.

So if this kind of thing bothers you be sure to read what permissions you are giving the  app vendors when you install or update.

rant off/  

another small rant

rant on/

It is not just Disney that is doing this but I was informed of an update to the app that required me to give Disney permission to use my camera, video, and audio on my phone to take pictures, video or audio of anything my phone may see or hear. It can do this without you being able to tell its happening. I refused to give permission so I could not get the update so I am not sure how much longer my app will still work.  Why do they need to be able to capture pictures or video from my phone.  Like I said its not just Disney doing this. Bank of America's latest update had the same requirement, heck even the simple card solitaire game on my phone wanted the same permissions.

So if this kind of thing bothers you be sure to read what permissions you are giving the  app vendors when you install or update.

rant off/  

It's a Great Big Brotherful Tomorrow. 

The announcement was not specific as to how many or as to the locations at the parks and DTD.

It was mainly to describe what the kiosks were for and to announce that there would be transfer opportunities for CMs.

As the MyMagic program has not been rolled out yet, I wouldn't be surprised if they're not even up yet.

Oh brother.  No wonder I haven't seen the kiosks. What kiosks?

The one we went to at HS was by the FP distribution for TOT. The one in the resort was in the lobby by check-in desk.  There is also one at every guest relations location. In fact every FP return line has the equipment needed to troubleshoot/ fix the problems.  Disney just needs to get more CM trained on the system.  All the CMs had at the help desk was an IPad with a scanner attached.. But again all the problems we had with the system were my fault. 

Oh brother x2.  So there's one kiosk in all of DHS?  Plus the one at guest relations, which is not really convenient if you're in the park back by the attractions.

Or, you can block the FP return line and get help there?

another small rant

rant on/

rant off/  

That's not a small rant.

And this explains why your phone battery gets drained by the app.  The app is mining data the whole time you're using it.

TCD

Oh brother.  No wonder I haven't seen the kiosks. What kiosks?

Oh brother x2.  So there's one kiosk in all of DHS?  Plus the one at guest relations, which is not really convenient if you're in the park back by the attractions.

Or, you can block the FP return line and get help there?

That's not a small rant.

And this explains why your phone battery gets drained by the app.  The app is mining data the whole time you're using it.

TCD

I don't know if that's the only one that's just the one they took me to from RNR. There has to be others. If there was only going to be one they would surely have it more centrally located.

I'm not worried about this for me personally, I know I'll figure it out. But I'm trying to picture my MIL using this. She's new to smart phones (just got one a few months ago) and not super computer savvy, although she gives it a good go. Trying to navigate this would make her head explode, and spending time every day at a help kiosk would just frustrate the bejinkies out of her.

Same with my parents but they don't have smart phones. Mom has already figured out how she would deal with this. I'm doing everything for her and while she is on vacation she will just call me and have me deal with the app. Lucky me.

There are things I like about it (like the room key aspect so I don't have to dig my key out, same with tickets, and when it's time to go use a FP butttt I don't know if wearing something on my wrist will drive me crazy or not. Same with DH, neither of us wear watches. And I don't know what little kids will think of wearing them? Are they easy to take off?

There are things I like about it (like the room key aspect so I don't have to dig my key out, same with tickets, and when it's time to go use a FP butttt I don't know if wearing something on my wrist will drive me crazy or not. Same with DH, neither of us wear watches. And I don't know what little kids will think of wearing them? Are they easy to take off?

You can opt out of the MB and get the RFID enabled card instead.

Same with my parents but they don't have smart phones. Mom has already figured out how she would deal with this. I'm doing everything for her and while she is on vacation she will just call me and have me deal with the app. Lucky me.

You don't have to use the MB. You can do the same things with an rfid card.  we wore the MB all the time. It would not be hard at all for a kid to take theirs off but they say on well.  The MB is just so convenient to have ready all the time.   

What options are there for those who don'thave smart phones?  Can I use do the old FP system?

My understanding is that they will have multiple FP dispensing machines at multiple locations throughout the park, and the lines will be whatever the FP lines are currently.

Im late to the party. I will tell what I know now, and update later this week as we are testing the system the next couple of days. And this is an in depth test, not a "Hey do you want to participate" test. As CM tetsers, we are required to do certain things and keep a journal of our experience and report back to the big wigs when done. Believe me I will keep detailed notes.

Now for some comments.

The ONLY official MyMagic+ service center is in the Town Square Theater in the MK. There is a huge sign out front letting guests know. It has aprox 10 stations set up that consist of nothing more than an Ipad running the app. The guest logs into their account and a trained CM helps them through setting up reservations or linking bands or making FP+ selections. They DO NOT deal with guest phone issues. They do have tech support CMs around (the ones that the OP dealt with) that are out during testing to note these problems and potential fixes. Once the system goes live, these techies will not be out and the guest phone issues will be theirs. Eventually, every park will have a permanent service center similar to the one in MK. But as of now they are temps.  

Well to play devil's advocate... they'll first have to know there are kiosks, then they'll need to find out where they are, then they'll need to drag their butts over there to stand in line with all the other clueless people to bitch explain to the helpful CM why they don't know how to use their own phone and how it's Disney's problem not theirs, and then hope and pray that the CM standing there has knowledge of their specific type of phone/tablet and can help troubleshoot whatever is going on - which could be anything from forgetting a password to having  a bug or conflicting app that's blowing things up.

Not super magical.

See my comment above.

You can opt out of the MB and get the RFID enabled card instead.

BUT, you are forgetting, the MyMagic+ system is THE system now. It doesn't matter if you use the MB or the RFID card, you are doing the same exact thing. The ONLY difference will be instead of waving your arm in front of a portal, you have to dig out your key card. As a matter of fact, I have 10 MyMagic+ devices linked to my MyDisneyExperience system. Nine RFID enabled cards and one MB. The nine cards are the 9 keys I have gotten during my stay at the Fort. AP pass holders can link their AP to their account as well and eventually, CMs will use it for their Maingate pass (starting this month). Eventually whenever you check in, you will need to have an account with mydisneyexperience.

The app everyone hates so much is just a portal to the system. You can access your account by pointing your smartphones browser to the website as well. The same site you access from your home computer.

I for one am excited about the direction this is going. Yes, there are problems. But its a big endeavor and any big change has problems. That's why they are testing it. Like Lou, I know more than I should and I think everyone will surprised when the whole system comes on line. Most people only know about 30% of what Disney has planned. The growing pains will pass and this will be the system that every Theme park emulates.

BUT, you are forgetting, the MyMagic+ system is THE system now.

I understand what you're saying that MyMagic is the program being used now, and is available to all guests, but not all guests are able to use it fully until the MB and FP+ elements are rolled out for everyone.

I understand what you're saying that MyMagic is the program being used now, and is available to all guests, but not all guests are able to use it fully until the MB and FP+ elements are rolled out for everyone.

Not all guests will ever fully use it.  I imagine there are a lot of people who are either uninterested, incapable or just resistant to such an extensive use of technology at WDW.  Personally, I go on vacation to escape all the technology in my daily life and enjoy a simplified existence with my family.  We may be outliers, in that we don't have smartphones and don't take our laptops on vacation, but there are many others out there.  I understand you do not have to use the new technology, but my fear is that the guest experience will be harmed for those not utilizing it via longer attraction times, less access to restaurants, etc. 

Holy Cow, just think of what it will be like trying to book FP for the months the big groups are there?  You will need to be on line at the moment your window opens to get anything decent just like food ADR for the 'go to' places.  Right now you stand a small chance of beating them to the FP kiosks.  LOL

BUT, you are forgetting, the MyMagic+ system is THE system now. It doesn't matter if you use the MB or the RFID card, you are doing the same exact thing. The ONLY difference will be instead of waving your arm in front of a portal, you have to dig out your key card. As a matter of fact, I have 10 MyMagic+ devices linked to my MyDisneyExperience system. Nine RFID enabled cards and one MB. The nine cards are the 9 keys I have gotten during my stay at the Fort. AP pass holders can link their AP to their account as well and eventually, CMs will use it for their Maingate pass (starting this month). Eventually whenever you check in, you will need to have an account with mydisneyexperience.

Wait.

What do you mean you have 10 MyMagic devices?

You are using expired room keys?

Can I do that?

If I could register 10 devices, then can I get 10 Fastpasses even if my party is smaller?  We can each carry a couple or three devices and beat the system?

TCD

we are testing the system the next couple of days. And this is an in depth test, not a "Hey do you want to participate" test. 

As I understand it, the difference is that instead of using the PP card, guests will use either the MB or a RFID enabled card, is that correct?

Are you able to share any details on how the process will work?