Our adventure at Lake George, NY

Did you ever have a group of friends that you've known for years, but never really got a chance to hang out together for a while?  Our son Matt has known this other kid from town since they were in pre-school together.  Great family, and the kids get along great.  Yet, for some reason, we never managed to find the time to get the families together for a camping trip.  Talked about it over the years, but it never connected.

Well, last winter we got serious and sat down to make some reservations together.  They had been telling us for years about Lake George RV Park, a place that you can spend all week inside the gates and still have a blast.  Not a cheap campground, but a lot is included in the price.  After having spent a lot of time in state park campgrounds with no hook-ups, just having a long hot shower in the trailer sounded like the cost of admission was worth it!

Fast forward to our first week in August and we were itching to get out of Dodge and enjoy some campfire time.  I started that week off with a quick weekend trip on a mountain with Matt to begin the attitude adjustment for vacation mode, and our daughter Rachel got her friend Abby to join us.  We packed our bikes, some games, LOTS of food and beverages into the truckster during the week.  Another bonus to this trip - the reservations were from Sunday to Saturday and the location is 3 hours from our house. So that means Saturday off to make sure everything is packed, destress, and take off on Sunday morning.  Another bonus that I was not counting on is the fantastic scenery between central MA, southern VT and northern NY.  All these years and I have not really explored that area, and I think it's time to get out there more. 

Unfortunately, being the driver of the family and the photographer means that there were no photos of the route out and back.  Let me tell you that Route 103 is worth the drive.  From TX.  Or CA.  Lots of working farms, small towns, good roads, rolling hills and a Vermont Country Store.  We got to the resort at around noon, and first impressions were fantastic.  Wide open entrance area with a very organized check in process.  This place is well thought out and no problems to maneuver big rigs around.  I think there is more asphalt in the campground than on JFK airport.  But, they also have lots of shade and large trees.  There is an extended stay parking lot just off the entrance where you can leave your rig and explore the town some more after check out, and tennis courts, large pools and plenty of activities.

At check-in we were told that they were able to accomodate the request for our preferred area of the CG, but that the remaining sites in that area were not the kind where we could arrange our trailers "awning to awming" the way we had hoped.  There are a few pull through sites in the park where that can be done, but they are grabbed up quick.  No problem, as we had EZ-Ups and lots of energetic kids to move things around.

Within minutes we were settled in and our kids got to enjoy something that we almost never get to do while camping - enjoy video games!  Normally, this would be banned while camping, but this group of kids is well rounded and didn't just sit in front of the game all day.  Here we have the cast of characters settling in for some old school Mario Bros:

IMG_0393_zps63048f51.jpg

IMG_0390_zpsa1d83978.jpg

Our friend Tim with his traditional first day in NY shirt worn just to "poke the bear":  For those of you who don't know, wearing a Red Sox shirt in NY is about as polite as passing gas in church, but Tim uses it as a conversation opener ;-)

null_zpsce4597cd.jpg

Abby (left) and Rachel enjoying the free wifi and keeping in touch with their friends and streaming music, another option not usually available in state parks:

IMG_0394_zpsec8a2393.jpg

Nancy supervising the festivities and dreaming of concoctions to be made with the blender she planned on purchasing:

IMG_0389_zps8279e8f9.jpg

Anyone notice anything unusual about these photos?  Besides the fact that my DW has transferred her favorite adult beverage into a Rubbermaid container and is drinking wine from a Red Solo Cup?  Sweatshirts on almost everyone!  In August!  Before dinner!  As we drove out that morning a cold front charged through with a brief downpour and leaving us with crisp, dry, fall-like air.  It was refreshing after having been in some hot and humid weather most of July (I saw a report that Boston was hotter and more humid than Atlanta this July).

That was pretty much all the photos from day one as we enjoyed a nice italian dinner at the site, played cards and explored the campground.  Coming up on Day 2 we get a little mud on the tires and go for a hike along a waterfall, a swim in the lake and meet some nice folks who know how to enjoy pontoon boats.

I am looking forward to hearing more. I am already envious that you got to wear sweatshirts in August.

Count me in for this.

I loveeeeeee Lake George. We have been once but it was enough for me to love it. The amount of stars we saw at night was what really hooked me. We live too close to Philly and the highway for us to get decent star viewing here.

Looking forward to more!

Awesome! Are you still there now? We're about an hour and a half north of you in Plattsburgh. I'll be cruising through Lake George today on the way home. Make sure to stop at the Adirondack Pub & Brewery, they have great food and good beer.

Lake George is a great area, one of my favorites.

My sister goes to Lake George every year for the Fireman's Festival thing they have.  Their good friends are in the local house and now their daughter is too.  Looking forward to hearing more.

Can't wait to read more. I LOVE Lake George. My Aunt and Uncle had a sailboat docked there. My first experience camping was 2x on an island in Lake George - tent camping - that is when I discoverd I didn't like tent camping at all. The years that Rich and I owned our golf course in NY, when we could get away we would head up to the Lake and rent a motel room. I would love to go camping with the MH up there, but now that we are in FL it is just to long of a trip for a 1 week vacation.

Can't wait to read more. I LOVE Lake George. My Aunt and Uncle had a sailboat docked there. My first experience camping was 2x on an island in Lake George - tent camping - that is when I discoverd I didn't like tent camping at all. The years that Rich and I owned our golf course in NY, when we could get away we would head up to the Lake and rent a motel room. I would love to go camping with the MH up there, but now that we are in FL it is just to long of a trip for a 1 week vacation.

Same story here. Grew up in NY and loved it. Been in FL for almost 25 years now. I miss the summers, fall and the scenery since I am more of a woods person than a beach a palm tree type guy. We are planning our family vacation for NY next summer but unfortunately can not take the RV due to time restraints with work

Same story here. Grew up in NY and loved it. Been in FL for almost 25 years now. I miss the summers, fall and the scenery since I am more of a woods person than a beach a palm tree type guy. We are planning our family vacation for NY next summer but unfortunately can not take the RV due to time restraints with work

didn't realize you grew up in NY, where? I do miss the summers and fall and spent the last years up there in the Catskill mts. I miss the mountains. We have been here 27 years full time. We were snow birds in our 30's came down for winters for 7 years. Our Son lives in Westchester so when we go up we fly, I would love to take the MH up for a few weeks in the summer. Hoping maybe someday when I retire if that ever happens

I am looking forward to hearing more. I am already envious that you got to wear sweatshirts in August.

The frequent change in the weather is one of the things I really enjoy in the northeast.  It's not great all the time, but there is something refreshing about a cold front that comes along and clears out the humid air!

Great start!  And I'm not envious about wearing sweatshirts in August.  I had to wear one one day this week here in NC.  It just ain't right.

Thanks for joining, and you'll see some warmer weather photos soon!

Count me in for this.

I loveeeeeee Lake George. We have been once but it was enough for me to love it. The amount of stars we saw at night was what really hooked me. We live too close to Philly and the highway for us to get decent star viewing here.

Looking forward to more!

We happened to be there the week before the Perseid meteor showers and didn't get to see too much, but the kids were in Maine on the beach the following week and got to go out at 1:00am and lie down on the sand to watch the show. Those are memories that will last a while.  I can still remember the stars in the sky out in Montana on a road trip as a kid.  You just can't describe that.

Awesome! Are you still there now? We're about an hour and a half north of you in Plattsburgh. I'll be cruising through Lake George today on the way home. Make sure to stop at the Adirondack Pub & Brewery, they have great food and good beer.

Lake George is a great area, one of my favorites.

Unfortunately, got back a while ago, and headed out in less than two hours for a road trip for work.  I better get moving on this update!  Will have to try that Brewery the next time we get out there.

Can't wait to hear about your time there.  We waved as we drove by, headed to Maine and PEI this summer.  We wore sweatshirts on that trip, too...toward the end of July!

Maine and PEI are certainly great places to visit this time of year.  I've only been to PEI once and my wife has lots of family in Cape Pele New Brunswick.  I need to get up there again soon.

My sister goes to Lake George every year for the Fireman's Festival thing they have.  Their good friends are in the local house and now their daughter is too.  Looking forward to hearing more.

Lots to do in the area, and it looks like we barely scratched the surface.  But I'll try to provide some insight into the unsusual things we did try out.

One of the things we were surprised at were the number of hotels that still had vacancy in early August.  I think that would be the prime time to be in this area, but I guess the economy is hitting hard everywhere.

I have a brother in law who is probably doing things the most economical way - he is renting trailer space when he goes camping.  I think about the cost to own my truck, the trailer, the maintenance, the cost of using a tow vehicle for  a daily driver and realize he can do a lot more trailer rentals than I can afford to camp!  Maybe that would make a nice option in the NY area for a couple of days to escape?

didn't realize you grew up in NY, where? I do miss the summers and fall and spent the last years up there in the Catskill mts. I miss the mountains. We have been here 27 years full time. We were snow birds in our 30's came down for winters for 7 years. Our Son lives in Westchester so when we go up we fly, I would love to take the MH up for a few weeks in the summer. Hoping maybe someday when I retire if that ever happens

What is this word "retirement"?  I hope that you get to take a road trip up here sometime.  Lots of great scenery and really good food!

Speaking of food, I am ashamed to report that I have gone through all my photos and don't have a decent pood forn shot in the group.  Total FAIL.  I think I really dropped the ball on this because we had some serious food going as well.  Let's face it, 5 teenagers requires some serious food planning.

Anyhow, on to some more before I have to get ready for work!

So, that first night we kicked back and did all the things one would do on a first night, the kids did some "looping" and checked out the campground on their bikes.  The internal roads are wide, well paved, and plenty of bike trails all over where they don't allow any vehicles.  Lots of people going for runs and walks in this campground.  And a nice sized fishing pond toward the south side of the park.  I would say it almost rivals the Fort in the quality of the place.

The kids were back at the site fairly early as they don't allow bikes out after 9:00pm without lights on the bikes - and the rules are enforced.  So they played games and we enjoyed some adult beverages while everyone talked about plans for the week.  We checked the weather and decided to go on a hike to Shelving Rock Falls the next day.  It's a nice local waterfall on the east side of the lake with a well marked trail that leads to the falls, and then further downstream to a great place to swim in the lake.

The trailhead was not so easy to find at first, but we eventually got there.  The directions had us going about 10 miles on dirt roads through an area with lots of trails and remote camping sites, some places I'd like to come back and explore with a backpack some day.  But, we were fine with trucks and good ground clearance and made the trailhead within 20 minutes or so.  Here is some of the group, wtih Matt acting up for the camera:

IMG_0395_zpsa1d86066.jpg

And a family shot at the base of the waterfall:

IMG_0399_zps02ba7c30.jpg

And some of the group wading out in the bay to check out the party scene in the shallow waters where the brook flows into the lake:

IMG_0400_zps0cf393da.jpg

Back at the shore getting the sand off our feet and drying off before hiking back up the hill to our cars:

IMG_0403_zps4f41aa0b.jpg

It was a nice little hike, maybe about a mile and a half, and helped us work up a good appetite.  We headed back to camp and stopped along the way to get some fresh produce at a farm stand.  Best time of the year, getting corn on the cob with the corn picked just that morning.  Always good.  But, I apologize, no photos :-(  But I did get this photo of the boys enjoying ice cream at the east side recreation area after dinner!  That building contains an indoor movie theater, indoor pool, bathroom facilities, snack bar area and outdoor pools.  Plus a huge indoor lounge area with fireplace and big TVs with a library, DVD area for kids, etc.  Only have to pay for the food and ice cream.

null_zpscef9c05d.jpg

Well, this is taking longer than I thought, will have to update more later from the hotel.  Thanks for joining in!

I grew up in the middle of the finger lakes near SYR and Rochester. Different world from NYC. If it aren't for the harsh winter and high taxes we would move back there in a heartbeat

I am in.

Love to read TRs about places I have never been.

It looks and sounds like a fun place to be.

It is a great place to be.  I would recommend at least a week. We were only there for 5 nights and I could have used more time to explore the area.  Will have to get back again.  Only spent about an hour or two in the shops down near the southern tip of Lake George.  Not enough time.

Beautiful area!  We are coming up on the only time of year I miss New York....fall.  And it looks like you had an early-fall like weekend.  Looking forward to reading more. 

I agree, fall is the best time.  Have you and the kids ever made it up to this area with the trailer?  I hear that the Watkins Glen area is also a great place to explore.  Nice wineries and good day hikes.

I agree, fall is the best time.  Have you and the kids ever made it up to this area with the trailer?  I hear that the Watkins Glen area is also a great place to explore.  Nice wineries and good day hikes.

We got back to WNY with our old MH once.  Never camped at Watkins Glen, but we used to like going to Letchworth State Park.  A bit far west for you probably, but absolutely gorgeous there. 

As far as wineries....while I didn't grow up in the Finger Lakes themselves, I did grow up in a wine region, and in fact my Dad was a grape grower.  I lived on a farm with vineyards in the area along Lake Erie, in Chautauqua County.  Beautiful area, but man is it economically depressed. 

So, if I recall correctly (and the grey matter is not as accurate as it used to be!), we did the hike and swim on Monday, with Tuesday being a day to relax, spend some time in the outlet stores, and just hang out at the camper.

I didn't get any photos from the outlet store area, but Matt and I got him some new hiking shoes for the Labor Day scout hike in the White Mountains.  At the beginning of the spring we bought Matt hiking shoes that fit great and were a size 9. He outgrew them by mid-July after wearing them once, and now takes a size 11 shoe. I can't believe how quick he is growing right now.  Anyhow, no photos of the outlets, but I did grab a few shots of hanging out at the campground, including paddle boats (free of charge):

null_zps92dd12d7.jpg

null_zps45cff39b.jpg

"Duck face" photo!

IMG_0415_zpsd4ac0d0b.jpg

And SMORES!  Gotta make smores around the campfire at night.

IMG_0420_zps7f90a6f0.jpg

IMG_0422_zps320634a2.jpg

And that was pretty much it. 

On Wednesday, we headed on out to a place called Adirondack Extreme Adventure Sports to try some elevated obstacle courses in the trees along with Zip Lines.  The kids were really set for this, but it took a little to get Nancy to be comfortable with it.  Although, she did figure out the whole safety harness thing pretty quickly!

IMG_0424_zpsd462f998.jpg

We got the kids all set up with the gear (Rachel and Abby below) and got our training done (basically, follow the rules and don't fall)

IMG_0425_zps08e54e77.jpg

We got everyone lined up for a group shot at the beginning of the course:

IMG_0426_zps178cda2a.jpg

And off we went...

.IMG_0427_zps5d89d8b0.jpg

IMG_0430_zps6b5c0b0a.jpg

The course gets progressively more challenging and higher off the ground.  Before long, the initial hesitation gives way to some real fun and carefree attitude as you get more accustomed to it.  Nice zip lines between sections too!

IMG_0432_zpsa86e9e68.jpg

IMG_0443_zps430ffc33.jpg

IMG_0448_zpsfefd338c.jpg

And here's hoping that the link to the video works!

\

Hmmm, that didn't seem to work.  I will keep trying to mess around with this, the short video clips of the zip lines are really fun to watch from up in the air.

Well, maybe after another beer or two I could figure this out, but I will get this!

Stay tuned....