Disney Cruise Line now allowing shorts on cruise casual nights

It was reported to me first by Grumpy and I have now found some confirmation.

Disney Cruise Line is now allowing short in Cruise Casual nights in the Main Dining Room.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013/08/disney-cruise-line-formally-revises-cruise-casual-attire-to-include-shorts/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/08/19/disney-cruise-dress-code-shorts/2670267/

What are your feelings on this?

[email protected]

There is no hope for civilization.  Is it that difficult to throw on a pair of pants?  I understand that there are people who cannot afford a nice pair of khakis or dress slacks, but if not I wouldn't expect they would be cruising.  And chronicling their travels on their iPhone. 

This is all just another step toward societal ruin.  When I was a kid people would dress up when they traveled by air.  Today the majority of people on planes are dressed like slobs.  Why is this ok?  This constant chipping away at the standards of decorum is a symptom (or a root cause?) of the breakdown in society.  And why wouldn't we expect this?  We fill our brains with over-sexualized bimbos and jerks...and that's just on the Disney Channel.  We emulate the Kardashians or any number of other celebrities who wear skimpy clothes and flaunt their fake, plastic enhanced bodies. 

I swear, if I ever get back on a Disney cruise ship and encounter some fool in the dining room dressed in skimpy shorts and looking all skanky or sloppy, I'm giving that stupid jerk an atomic wedgie. 

Dave, I remember when Brian and I first started going to plays in NYC. We would be dressed up as would most people. Now even business casual makes you look over dressed.

Now I love me some jeans and t shirts but there is a place and time for that. Broadway and dinner on cruise ships isn't.

I guess I am part of the downfall of mankind then. I am happy about this. While I did not mind dressing up for Formal night and the 2 times we ate at Palo I hated wearing pants to dinner. I am on vacation in a warm environment. I wear slacks or casual pants for work. On my time off I wear shorts unless the weather dictates otherwise. Having to pack the extra pants was an annoyance for me. If we go back on a Disney Cruise I look forward to wearing shorts. Mind you I will not be in short shorts, or jean shorts. I will wear my casual shorts but I will be so much more comfortable. 

As for Broadway shows I have to disagree there too. Again I am off. If it is part of a larger planned romantic night then I might dress up for it. But we have been known to take the train into NYC spend the day, catch a show and take the train back. I am not wearing a suit the whole day while doing all of that.

The only cruising I do is the kind where you roll both windows down in the front of my Chevy truck on the dirt roads and two-tracks in the middle of nowhere up north. 

It is perfectly acceptable to wear shorts, sleeveless tees, camo, boots, sunglasses, boonie hats, etc.

Just in case you wanted to know the proper decorum.

I'm with the, I don't like it crowd. Heck I won't even wear a t shirt in public. Actually I couldn't as I don't have any.

And don't get me started on flip flops at a nice restaurant.

Put on a collared shirt, long, non jean, pants, and decent shoes if the restaurant requires it.

I remember buying a fancy sundress to wear when I was a pre-teen for my first flight on an airplane.  New shoes and a new hair do.  They gave me plastic wings too on the flight there and back.  And we had real food.

I personally don't mind a nice pair of longer shorts.  Even the tan cargo shorts are not too bad if worn with a shirt with a collar.

Shockingly, and some of you have met me and would be really shocked, I agree with Dave. I cringe when I walk into Magic Kingdom and kids AND dads are in gym shorts. Really? So, like Dave, you KNOW this is coming on a cruise. I can see guys wearing nicer shorts to dinner, but I actually wouldn't mind slacks myself. For what I'm paying for my February cruise I may flip out if some guy sitting at my table rolls in wearing his best Under Armour shorts. Was that just a rant?

We prepared to go to the signature restaurants by reading about them. They said business casual. V & A requires men to wear a jacket & tie I believe. I was SHOCKED by the things people wore to these restaurants. Y'all know, I am as casual as it gets when we are at the parks or anywhere I can get away with it, but I do believe there are times that feel more special when you dress up. 

That being said, I also see Jason's point. I am HOT all the time, so I might want to wear my booty shorts and tiny shirt! LOL NOT, but I would hate to be a man and have to wear slacks!