New to the Fort, new to here, need help

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are they crappies?  :rofl2:

We have stayed in 1400 both trips to FW. Once with TT and once with MH. Love the inner loop. Kids ride and play with very little traffic. Close to campfire and pool.

You might consider getting a cart at least one day to go looping!!! After our last trip down thru Atlanta, I vowed "Never Again"! We came home thru AL and it was much lower stress.

Sounds like a great time you have planned, have fun!

Spinner

Thanks for the site vs CS ratio study, not something I had considered. I expect the only thing we will be using the CSs for is for showers at night. With sewer hook up, we can do that in the trailer if the CS is busy at the time. I will continue to look at it but y'all are convincing me on the 1400.

I think I have decided the route we will take is the 78-65-231-10-75. After looking at wecamphere.com and rvparkreviews.com, I think that Lee's Country Campground in White Springs, FL will be a good stop going down and Deer Run RV Park in Troy, AL will be a good stop on the way home. Lee's is about 8 miles out of the way (back up 75), but has great reviews. About a 10 hr drive on day one, 3 hours on day two. Deer Run isn't quite as far on day one, but I don't want to have to rush out of FW on our departure day. Has anyone stayed at either of these places? All this has time to change in the next 8 months before we go.

I also may rethink my day to do the Hoop Dee Doo Revue, making it for a day during the week instead of our arrival day. I still have two months to decide on this till we get to the 180 day point.

Y'all have great information and I will continue to ask questions as I think of them.

Looks like everyone has their favorite route to take down to the fort and I'm no different.  If I am leaving from my Alabama location, I take the same route that you have chosen down as far as Dothan.  From Dothan I hang a left on Hwy. #84 and pick up I-75 at Valdosta.  Of the little towns that you go through, only Thomasville presents any problem going through and it is a minor one as they have a rather long bypass around the town.  I took the I-10 to I-75 route for years and got tired of the 18 wheelers that dominate that route, so I tried the 84 route and have never looked back.  Very light traffic and almost no trucks, and the time difference taking this route is negible as far as I'm concerned.  The road is very good 4-lane all the way.  Of course, if I am leaving from Panama City Beach, I really have no choice other than I-10.

I have stayed overnight in White Springs several times, but we stay at the Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park.  It's only $20.00 a night and they have some pull thru sites that are perfect for overnight stays.  The first time we stayed there we liked the place so well that we extended our stay for another day to explore the park as it has some interesting things to see.  The recomendations that you have received for Deer Run in Troy are right on, it's a really nice campground.

Regarding the route....we come down from Middle TN.  About half the time, I take 65 south to Montgomery, then 231 through Dothan to I-10.  That is a very good route.  If you decide on that route, there is a way to "bypass" Dothan and avoid what tends to be surprisingly bad traffic there.  Let us know if that's your planned route and we can help further.

I've pretty well decided on the 231 route. Is the bypass around Dothan the Ross Clark Circle? We will be driving that way in November to go to Apalachicola, so i can check it out then. Do you camp on the way down or do it in one shot?

I've pretty well decided on the 231 route. Is the bypass around Dothan the Ross Clark Circle? We will be driving that way in November to go to Apalachicola, so i can check it out then. Do you camp on the way down or do it in one shot?

Yes, it's Ross Clark Circle and it can be a pain to get through.  Dave was going to give you a route to bypass Dothan, and there is actually two of them, one that puts you back on 231 right before you cross the Florida line.  I'll let him describe it for you so you can try it on the way to Apalachicola.

• 1 month later...

Made our Hoop Dee Do reservations (180 days out from arrival today). We decided on arrival day at fort, 3 days at parks, day at fort, 2 days at parks. HDD dinner on Thursday, May 1.

Only second time I have planned a meal that far out. Other time was dinner at Cinderella's castle for my daughters 6th birthday last time we went.

And do you know the "back way" into WDW? off of the Parkway?  I have a doctor's appointment, but will check back later to see your answer or anyone chiming in and give you the route if you still need it.  And WELCOME!!!  There's a great group of folks around here, and not only for Fort visits, but year round FrIENDS.

And do you know the "back way" into WDW? off of the Parkway?  I have a doctor's appointment, but will check back later to see your answer or anyone chiming in and give you the route if you still need it.  And WELCOME!!!  There's a great group of folks around here, and not only for Fort visits, but year round FrIENDS.

No knowledge of secret ways. Bob gave me a detour around Dothan that I plan on using, but other than that I was just gonna be following the map. Any suggestions of better ways are welcome.

Down I-75 to Exit 328 onto the Florida Turnpike.  Exit the Turnpike onto hiway 429... Exit 267A....Daniel Webster Western Beltway.  There is a high flying exit with lots of signs letting you know it goes to Disney. Exit right and keep right at the split.  Proceed to Exit 8, exit right and and turn left under the hiway onto Western Way.  In a mile or so you will pass under the arch welcoming you top WDW.  After passing Coronado Springs Resort, Western Way dead ends in Buena Vista.  Turn left onto Buena Vista and watch for the World Drive sign.  Cross over World Drive and turn left onto World Drive.  Follow that to the booth at the entrance to the Ticket and Transportation Center parking lot.  Stay in the next to right-most lane and tell the attendant you are going to Ft Wilderness.  They will direct you through and to a close turn onto Vista Blvd on the right.  Watch for Disney busses in the extreme right lane before you make the lane switch and turn.  A couple miles down Vista Blvd you will see the entrance to Ft Wilderness on the left.  Proceed to the guard shack in the right lane and "he" will direct you toward the checkin booth straight ahead.  From ther you are on your own.  Good luck.

These directions may sound complicated, but there are really only a couple of turns to watch for and this route avoids the traffic congestion on I-4.  Oh, both the Turnpike and the Beltway are toll roads, but the tolls are relatively small.  At least small compared to what you are about to spend after you park your rig at the Fort.. :rofl2:

Welcome! As I am not familiar with premium loops, because I am a Tent camper, but i do know that you should not worry about too much direct sunlight. Most if not all, sites have nice shade trees keeping your RV and site cool during peak "Sunny" hours.

And as I saw lots of folks reccommending taking the boat to MK, I 100% agree. Its your best bet, and makes for a fun trip over.

As for Bike locks, I have never seen anybody use them! FW is a very safe place, and if you cant trust people at DW where can you.

Hope I helped a bit, and good luck with your Route!

Eric

Down I-75 to Exit 328 onto the Florida Turnpike.  Exit the Turnpike onto hiway 429... Exit 267A....Daniel Webster Western Beltway.  There is a high flying exit with lots of signs letting you know it goes to Disney. Exit right and keep right at the split.  Proceed to Exit 8, exit right and and turn left under the hiway onto Western Way.  In a mile or so you will pass under the arch welcoming you top WDW.  After passing Coronado Springs Resort, Western Way dead ends in Buena Vista.  Turn left onto Buena Vista and watch for the World Drive sign.  Cross over World Drive and turn left onto World Drive.  Follow that to the booth at the entrance to the Ticket and Transportation Center parking lot.  Stay in the next to right-most lane and tell the attendant you are going to Ft Wilderness.  They will direct you through and to a close turn onto Vista Blvd on the right.  Watch for Disney busses in the extreme right lane before you make the lane switch and turn.  A couple miles down Vista Blvd you will see the entrance to Ft Wilderness on the left.  Proceed to the guard shack in the right lane and "he" will direct you toward the checkin booth straight ahead.  From ther you are on your own.  Good luck.

These directions may sound complicated, but there are really only a couple of turns to watch for and this route avoids the traffic congestion on I-4.  Oh, both the Turnpike and the Beltway are toll roads, but the tolls are relatively small.  At least small compared to what you are about to spend after you park your rig at the Fort.. :rofl2:

Thank you for this! I was actually looking for something like this yesterday while trying to plan our route for May 2014.

I Live near Apalachicola. When will you be there? Work or fun?

I Live near Apalachicola. When will you be there? Work or fun?

Fun. My parents go there all the time, have some friends that have houses down there (St. George's island) and go fishing. We will be there around thanksgiving.