Stop throwing out "outdated" canned goods

We had a news feature on use by/sell by dates last week in ATL.  I have always taken them with a grain of salt (whatever that means) and preferred a smell test for some things, how far past the date for others, and swollen lids on most canned goods.  And I'm still alive.  If the milk is lumpy, toss it out.  :rofl3:

We had a news feature on use by/sell by dates last week in ATL.  I have always taken them with a grain of salt (whatever that means) and preferred a smell test for some things, how far past the date for others, and swollen lids on most canned goods.  And I'm still alive.  If the milk is lumpy, toss it out.  :rofl3:

That is me.  If the can is swollen, toss it.  If the milk is lumpy, give it to the dog.  ;)

The only time I started throwing things out is when I had to move it.  Weight costs money, so it got dumped. 

I know I've let things stay in the pantry waaaay over the 'best by' date.  My DD will be the one to throw it out.  One of the only things I do watch the date on, is diet pop with aspartame.  If it's too much past the date, there will be NO sweetness left, especially if it got warm sometime.  I just had to pour about 10 cans of diet Pepsi down the drain.  Boy did it taste nasty.

DH wrote above.....we do not throw out canned goods just because it is past the sell by date.  Same with other food items if they are still smelling fresh and looking good.   I talk with a pharmicist one time about medicines with expiration dates being on sale.  He said when it says sell by...that is what is means....it does not mean it is no longer good.  They are just not allowed to sell past that date.

I am careful about what I eat but I am not paranoid about it.  :jumpforjoy

The freezer thing happened to us in May 2010. We left for the Fort for 7 days. Got home and parked the camper in the shop. 3 days later I started to smell something. That is when I found the freezer was unplugged. It was unplugged to get the golf cart out of the shop. It was half full of elk meat. I plugged it back in and let it freeze before cleaning it out. That helped with the smell some but not a lot.

The freezer thing happened to us in May 2010. We left for the Fort for 7 days. Got home and parked the camper in the shop. 3 days later I started to smell something. That is when I found the freezer was unplugged. It was unplugged to get the golf cart out of the shop. It was half full of elk meat. I plugged it back in and let it freeze before cleaning it out. That helped with the smell some but not a lot.

Jody...love you tag!  I bet Shardi does too.