Hi everyone,

I live in fl and with fl comes with constant humidity. Anyone have any tricks on how they keep their popup canvas (Ours is made of vinyl I hope that's how you spell it) clean. We are having issues with the black mildew on it. We always make sure we close it up when it is dry but we still have the issue with the mildew on the canvas especially over the beds. Anyone have any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated. 

Also other then seam sealing the campers seams does anyone use a water repellent spray on their campers canvas?

On the vinyl part, use Simple green with a brush, it get's in the fabric better.  For the inside or canvas parts, use Lysol mold and mildew cleaner.  Rinse it off after you use it.  Some people just pressure wash it but it usually doesn't get it all off. 

We get a lot of the black on the outside just sitting up at the Fort.  It's not just from closing it wet.

On the vinyl part, use Simple green with a brush, it get's in the fabric better.  For the inside or canvas parts, use Lysol mold and mildew cleaner.  Rinse it off after you use it.  Some people just pressure wash it but it usually doesn't get it all off. 

We get a lot of the black on the outside just sitting up at the Fort.  It's not just from closing it wet.

Speak and he shall appear. 

Oh, and with the vinyl canvas, I never use a seam sealer.  Has never been a problem.  I saw a pop up that they sprayed a sealer on it and it left a wide discoloration where they sprayed it.  Definitely took major value off the camper.  Don't know what kind it was but the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it might apply.

Thanks everyone, Curt I will definitely try the simply green on the outside. Have you found that the simply green helps prevent it from coming back as well or just gets it off?  Also we don't have any of the black on the inside should i still use the Lysol mold and mildew cleaner?

Thanks everyone, Curt I will definitely try the simply green on the outside. Have you found that the simply green helps prevent it from coming back as well or just gets it off?  Also we don't have any of the black on the inside should i still use the Lysol mold and mildew cleaner?

Have you give those reflective covers a thought?  Will keep the pop up cooler, and probably keep the vinyl clean

When we had a pop up I kept a couple of those hanging Damp Rid things inside between trips.  If we went a long time without using it I would refresh it with a new one.  We also lived in FL at the time and those things would fill right up with the moisture.  They have a nice fresh scent too which is very welcome when you go camping and open it up for the first time in a while.

I have no idea if that was the reason we never got black mildew, but I never had that problem.  We always dried the tent ends really well before folding it up, or if it was raining or we had an early am departure and there was too much dew, we'd open it up once we got home and let it air out.

I used Oxy Clean Max on the outside canvas. The black in Fl is often a bit of not only dust and dirt, but pollen. I'm not a big fan of pressure washing for fear it would mess with water-resistance.

Also, if you can see pinholes of sunlight from inside the bunk, you can patch with opaque or white candles. You need two. One person inside the bunk presses the base of the candle against the hole, another person outside rubs the base a little against the inside candle and it patches the pinhole with wax!

x2 on the DampRid.  We buy it at Walmart, usually the little tub, which is refillable.  Seems to last longer than the hanging ones and may be alittle cheaper.  We keep it in the camper anytime we are not camping.  It has made a big difference.

We have considered Reflectix but our air conditioners all work pretty well even in direct sunlight. With the nature and time constraints we have with setting them up we have opted not to use them for now. If you have time to put them on it sure could help with the air use.

Thanks again everyone we will also put a damp-rid in the camper when we close it up as well from now on once we get it clean. I will try and post before and after pictures for others as well. 

We have the reflective covers but our mildew issues started before we got them, They really do help keep the camper cooler though. We are very happy with them. 

Now if only January would be here already so i could be at the fort!  ;D