Looking for some info for next summers trip

We will be at the Fort for a long week in July and have the way down pretty much planned, trying to use Thousand Trails parks on the way down. Here is where I need some help on our way back we will have around 3 weeks to get to a RV rally in Goshen In. so we are looking for any help on where to stay and what to see on the way, I guess the best route would be I 75, north but not against another way if time permits.

So whoever can help us out would be great as I know there are a few of you that travel that route, looking to stop and stay more then 1 night stopovers.

At the risk of shamelessly promoting the area where we live, if you do come up I-75, the Kentucky Horse Park just north of Lexington is a great place to visit.  Very nice campground on site, and if it is full (it fills up pretty fast sometime) then Whispering Hills in Georgetown is nearby and very nice too.  The Horse Park is a large facility with lots to do and see, all horse related as you would expect by the name and it being in the heart of the bluegrass horse country. 

There are a lot of horse (read race horse) farms in the Lex. area that are neat to visit, and Keeneland race track is one of the prettiest racetracks in the country. 

Shaker Village is not far from Lex.  It is a walking tour of one of the last Shaker communities, with working crafts and demos. 

If you like country music fans, Renfro Valley south of Lex. is a good stop for a variety of local and national performers.

Between horses, antiques and crafts, a couple of days in the Lexington/Bluegrass area could be a nice way to spend some of your extra time.

We live about an hour north of Lex. in Grant county, so feel free to holler when you come by!

Any chance you are going to this?

2014 FROG International Rally

August 3, 2014 - August 9, 2014

Elkhart County 4H Fairground

Goshen, IN

Yes we are, we went last year and it was GREAT so just waiting for the registration to open. I would highly suggest anyone with a Forrest River to attend well worth the money plus the fair grounds is a really nice place. So that's why I am looking for suggestions as that is our destination after our Fort visit never went that way before always used the 95 route so I figured it's best to ask the experts who travel that way.

We just got a Cedar Creek last month.  Hoping we will be able to go this rally.

We also have a Cedar Creek, this was our 4th summer with it and been good with only minor issues, things that I had fixed at the rally made the trip worth it. Then add everything else that was there it was even more worth it. We hope to volunteer to help with the event next year also. You can follow along and learn more about it on this site http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/ or this one http://www.forestriverfrog.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok let's bring this subject back towards the top. Thinking of trying to hit Stone Mt. on the way looks to be over 7 hours from the Fort, how about a good place to split the trip to there up, either a 1 night stop or longer if there are good things to see on the way. Plus still looking for places after here, saw the Horse Farm in Ky. anything else?

• 2 weeks later...

I like Stone Mountain!   I was able to join the Fiends there last Memorial Day and had a blast.  Definitely see the free laser show.  You might want to pretend to be a Southerner to really enjoy it.  We also did the Duck Tour and enjoyed it.

We live in Stone Mountain, not far from the campground.  There is a lot to see in Atlanta.  And a lot to see at Stone Mountain Park.

Some of the attractions will cost you but there are free ones also.  There is a petting zoo, the laser show (as mentioned above), snow mountain is open in January and February but you will miss that.  There is an antibellium home and many other things I can't think of right now.  It is 4:44 am and I have not slept.  The park itself is beautiful.  Enjoy your trip.

Oh there are a couple of campgrounds in Nashville near the new Opry House and the fantastic Opryland Hotel.  They are nice.  We

have stayed in both of them.

Dave, most likely just the wife  & myself

Ok...I asked because Chattanooga is an awesome little city for families.  Didn't know if you'd have any kids in the traveling party.  Not to say that Chatt wouldn't be enjoyable for the two of you.  There is a ton to do there, from the aquarium to Lookout Mountain, caverns, etc.  But a lot is geared toward families.  Still, I think it's worth looking into.  

If you like country music at all, maybe consider a swing through Nashville.  The Country Music Hall of Fame and all the bars and honkytonks are downtown.  The Grand Ole Opry and Orpyland hotel is east of downtown but not far.  There are 3 really nice campgrounds in the Opryland area:  Two Rivers RV Park, a KOA, and a Jellystone.  I've heard good things about Two Rivers, and it's cheaper than the other 2.  You could easily fill up several days here just with the music stuff....but if you have zero interest in country music there isn't as much for a tourist right in Nashville itself, but there's a lot in the surrounding areas.    

If you do come up through Chattanooga toward Nashville, I highly recommend taking the Jack Daniels distillery tour in Lynchburg, about half way between Chatt and Nashville.  

Another recommendation if you head up through Nashville....make stops just north of here in both Bowling Green and Cave City, KY.  In Bowling Green is the Corvette plant and museum.  Unfortunately, the museum partially collapsed into a sinkhole this week along with 8 classic Vettes.  Not sure how long that will be closed.  But look into a plant tour.  Then, in that same area is Mammoth Caves NP.  That is definitely worth a visit.  

I can second Leon's recommendation of Kentucky Horse Park.  We stayed there once and I want to get back.  Lexington is a beautiful area.  You'd want to choose between Nashville and Lexington, as they are along different routes north, although you can cut back over toward I-75 along the Blue Grass Parkway to hit Kentucky Horse Park if you have enough time to fit it all in.  

One final recommendation if time allows and you are looking for some quiet, nature time.  Try to hit one of the COE campgrounds along the lakes in TN or KY.  My personal favorite and the site of a GG each year is Defeated Creek, in Carthage, TN.  I can't tell you how relaxing and beautiful it is there, just sitting along the lake watching the boats and having some beers.  That is about 45 min east of Nashville.  

Let me know if you need some help if you do decide to head this way.  

Dave,

Thanks all really good ideas, we like small towns to explore. Looking for a stop between the Fort & Stone Mt. Also looked at Mammoth Caves we have a Thousand Trails park we can use there. I did the Jack Daniels tour years ago when a friend lived in Murfreesboro, the wife would not like the tour but would love the town square. Will look into Chattanooga and Nashville, did not hear about the Vette museum that SMB what happened.

It actually, did just happen early yesterday morning. Really bizarre. The reports say the museum itself will remain open, but the center room with the collapse will stay closed till repairs. There is some security footage online as the sink hole caved in showing the corvettes going bang. I took both the museum tour and the factory tour a couple of years ago. Really reasonable prices and fun. Also enjoyed Mammoth Cave.

How about a stop at the "Myrtle Beach of the Mountains".... Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. There are a lot of things to see and do, and plenty of places to camp.

Thanks, we did that a few years back, had fun, to much traffic for me plus that would be a pretty good side trip wouldn't it?