Change of heart - Thanks to this site

Having a been fairly regular WDW visitor and camper since the early 70's, over the last couple of years I guess I got a bit jaded. I really didn't care much about going back and spending a chunk of money on something that I had done too many times to count. It got to where it all looked the same, the magic had gotten a bit worn, and I was just getting older and a bit more tired of the crowds, lines, and prices. Not to mention that the last time I camped at the fort, it wasn't as enjoyable as times before due to the site I was in and a general air of rudeness from visitors. So, wifey and I haven't renewed our AP's for the last two years. Guess we got a little burned out. Also, by living so close, perhaps we ended up taking its' presence for granted.

After finding this site, however, I now have a renewed interest in going back to the fort. After reading all the threads on this site and the overall good natured poking, prodding, and group laughing, I feel a bit more rejuvinated. You good fiends have reminded me of all the wonderful times I've had over the years at WDW. Thoughts returned of the days I camped there when my son was growing up. Times spent around the campfire and watching the movies at the fort, trips to Discovery Island, River Country, fishing in bay lake, swimming in Bay Lake (yep, you used to could do that), riding my bike around the fort and dreaming of having some of the RV's I saw. I remember sitting with my granddaughters on the monorail and sharing their joy and excitement. A very enjoyable flood of happy, happy, memories has been the result of being fortunate enough to find Fort Fiends.

For the above, I wish to thank AuburnJen, AuburnChris, and all the Fiends for waking me up and rekindling the fire to return to the Fort and make some more memories. Thanks again in a BIG way.

:dance: :banana: :rofl2:

:rofl2: Hooray!! We also live close and it's easy to take it for granted. We felt the same way before we bought an Rv and used to do the hotel thing. Now we won't do it any other way. I'm glad you  :banana: the fort again!!!

I also live close and everytime I think I am burned out I find another reason to fall in love with it all over again. One of the biggest reason's now are the fortfiends. I love the fort, but love the friendships and family we have found in fortfiends.

You have to join us for a grand gathering and then you will really understand.

Sensei,

I look forward to the day that we get to meet in person.  That is what this site is all about, meeting one another.  The Fort is only one part of it.  Part of what makes a Fiend is the friendships we foster and part of it is our love of the Fort.  Through all of us actually meeting in person, we now take monthly trips all over the state of Florida with Fiends.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  Hell, I don't even mind Donnie mooching all our food! :)  What makes it real is that we spend it with people, not ourselves.  We used to camp by ourselves, but I found it repetitive and boring, as it looks like you did as well.  Now, every experience is a new and most times, interesting one.  I can't say that any trip hasn't had at least one memory that I haven't sat down and laughed out loud about.  Most of the time, it is something stupid I have done.  Sometimes it is something another Fiend has done.  Either way, I get a laugh.  It is never, ever dull anymore and I love it.  I hope you will too.

Sensei -

Ditto what Jen & Lorna said.  My DH & I have been going to the Fort on a very regular basis since 1974.  We've had AP's for longer than we didn't, and at times, the pixie dust seems to vanish.  Jaded? Yeah, I've been there.  The truth of the matter is that whenever we go to the Fort now, at least ONE Fiend is there.  I've also been known to go to the Fort just to meet up with Fiends.  (We live really close, too.)  The friendships that have been forged on this site (and the one that must not be named) have given the Fort a whole new life and meaning.

I'm glad you found us and look forward to the day when we meet!  Be warned though, I'm a hugger!!

Where is Dionne Warwick when you need her.  All together now...  :)

"Keep smilin', keep shinin'

Knowin' you can always count on me, for sure

That's what fiends are for

For good times and bad times

I'll be on your side forever more

That's what fiends are for"

that can be used to rekindle your romance with the mouse.

Sounds kinky, but in the words of the great Fiend philosopher TnBob, we don't judge here.

That sounds like me  :D

Anywho, we have met some people we consider great friends on this and the other board. Not to get to tear jerky, it makes going to the fort even better to have fiends to visit with, watch fireworks with and to eat too much with. Ok now ya did it  :'(

We used to camp by ourselves, but I found it repetitive and boring, as it looks like you did as well.  Now, every experience is a new and most times, interesting one.

Well said Jen!

Perfect example of this is DH.  He works with the public all day - so as you may imagine he's NOT a big people person. 

But thanks to reading over my shoulder about the Fiends for a couple of years now (and much more so HERE) he's been gung ho to meet as many Fiends as he can when we're at the Fort.  We finally got to meet several in November and now he can't wait to meet even more!!

He bugs me daily to check the calendar to see who is going to be there when we are, and he's already planning to be a social butterfly this year as well - which ought to be a blast as we'll be there over Halloween.

And for those that may not know, this is the man that built a bar in our new TT... and hates to drink alone, so....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXlEWgSCVeEJIs1bs_kJLoZcckGBviebPsXjTipA51NrulBZj8cg&t=1

Sounds kinky, but in the words of the great Fiend philosopher TnBob, we don't judge here.

If you think that is kinky, you should see what I caught a couple of Eyeores doing at the Disney Store this weekend!!!  :'(

The reason I joined the DB was to find other CMs that camped, but I never did find any. I decided to hang around anyways. I never imagined that it would turn into what it did. I've met a bunch of Fiends from all over the country. I've even met one, BradyBz12, that lives about 15 minutes from where I lived in NH. It's been a fun and interesting experience.

When we first started staying at the fort in 04 we basically just stayed at the camper unless we were going to a park or doing a cg activity. We met a couple dis folks who actually found me lol, In 07 a lot of that changed with a few meetings and then it busted loose 4th of July. Never been the same. We would never miss a Pepsi 400 but we did in 07 and never regretted it. We have met a lot of friends over the years. A couple families are as pretty much as close as you can get to family. We've been thru deaths, births, financial woes and a lot of beer drinking. The fort has been a pretty good place.

Thanks for all the comments. That's why I like this forum. Meeting people I've interacted with here will add a whole new dimension to camping at the fort. Now I'm all fired up to make some reservations and take the motorhome on its' maiden Fort Wilderness voyage. Also, now that I know what to look for, "Fiend Spotting" will become a new activity for me. Don't know when I'll be able to go, but I'll post when I get the reservations made. Looking forward to meeting some of you kind souls.  If you fiends are anything like your forum personalites in person, I'll probably have to bring a big box of Depenz cause you'll keep me laughing too hard.  :D

I'm also considering selling or trading my Harley in order to get a golf cart. Now that's pretty bad, huh? :D

I was thinking about possibly going for our anniversary (Sept. 11) this year. Last year we went to Washington D.C. for a week. It was great. Got caught up in a Tea Party rally on the mall. Pretty funny.  I checked the calendar and it looks like if we do this, we will just miss Lil Lisa and Big Bruce by a few days. Darn. We'll just have to see what happens.

If you think that is kinky, you should see what I caught a couple of Eyeores doing at the Disney Store this weekend!!!  :bday:

Not That there's anything wrong with that......    :beer:

:argh: >:D ??? :) :)

Thanks for all the comments. That's why I like this forum. Meeting people I've interacted with here will add a whole new dimension to camping at the fort. Now I'm all fired up to make some reservations and take the motorhome on its' maiden Fort Wilderness voyage. Also, now that I know what to look for, "Fiend Spotting" will become a new activity for me. Don't know when I'll be able to go, but I'll post when I get the reservations made. Looking forward to meeting some of you kind souls.  If you fiends are anything like your forum personalites in person, I'll probably have to bring a big box of Depenz cause you'll keep me laughing too hard.  :rofl2:

I'm also considering selling or trading my Harley in order to get a golf cart. Now that's pretty bad, huh? ;D

I was thinking about possibly going for our anniversary (Sept. 11) this year. Last year we went to Washington D.C. for a week. It was great. Got caught up in a Tea Party rally on the mall. Pretty funny.  I checked the calendar and it looks like if we do this, we will just miss Lil Lisa and Big Bruce by a few days. Darn. We'll just have to see what happens.

Try to check in a few days earlier, a bunch of us are coming back from the cruise on Thurs and are checking in to a hotel or like us going to the fort for the weekend.

I agree with Lorna!  I'd love to meet you!  BTW, Lorna are you still planning on being at the Fort the night before you leave too?  Please say yes...    :rofl2:

If you think that is kinky, you should see what I caught a couple of Eyeores doing at the Disney Store this weekend!!!  :rofl2:

Not That there's anything wrong with that......    :rofl2:

;D :) :) :) :)

Oh, but there was!  In fact it was scandalous!!!  ;D

Thanks for all the comments. That's why I like this forum. Meeting people I've interacted with here will add a whole new dimension to camping at the fort. Now I'm all fired up to make some reservations and take the motorhome on its' maiden Fort Wilderness voyage. Also, now that I know what to look for, "Fiend Spotting" will become a new activity for me. Don't know when I'll be able to go, but I'll post when I get the reservations made. Looking forward to meeting some of you kind souls.  If you fiends are anything like your forum personalites in person, I'll probably have to bring a big box of Depenz cause you'll keep me laughing too hard.  :rofl2:

I'm also considering selling or trading my Harley in order to get a golf cart. Now that's pretty bad, huh? ;D

Try to check in a few days earlier, a bunch of us are coming back from the cruise on Thurs and are checking in to a hotel or like us going to the fort for the weekend.

I agree with Lorna!  I'd love to meet you!  BTW, Lorna are you still planning on being at the Fort the night before you leave too?  Please say yes...    ???

Yes Lisa we are coming in Fri before we leave for the cruise staying until Sun morning, putting the MH at that getto site we stayed at a few weeks ago (but they are hardly charging us anything to keep it there with electric on, for the 4 nights we are gone) and then checking into the Fort again on Thurs and staying until Sun or Monday morning.  :bugeyes:

I agree with Lorna!  I'd love to meet you!  BTW, Lorna are you still planning on being at the Fort the night before you leave too?  Please say yes...    ???

Yes Lisa we are coming in Fri before we leave for the cruise staying until Sun morning, putting the MH at that getto site we stayed at a few weeks ago (but they are hardly charging us anything to keep it there with electric on, for the 4 nights we are gone) and then checking into the Fort again on Thurs and staying until Sun or Monday morning.  :bugeyes:

Yay!!!  I am looking forward to getting together with you guys again!

I have yet to meet any fiends face-to-face (but that is changing Easter Weekend in Gettysburg  :-[ ) but I do have a similar experience.  I became a Microsoft Certified Trainer in 1997 and in 1999 discovered an internet newsgroup for MCT's and started participating.  In 2001 I went to my first Microsoft conference and was able to meet a whole bunch of folks from all over the world with whom I had been corresponding over the previous two years.  This year most of us will see each other again in Atlanta for the TechEd conference, and I cannot wait to see them again.  Lifelong friendships have formed.