Have you ever used a heater in your tent?

We're taking a big tent to the Fort to supplement the RV sleeping room and my original plan was to put the boys in it.  
Now I'm thinking that Mr.41 & I might want to stay in it instead.  However, I do NOT do well sleeping in the cold.

Have you ever used a tent heater? If so, can you recommend one?

Or am I just asking for trouble adding heat to canvas...

Any of the current electric heaters are safe in a tent these days. Especially since they all have tip over sensors in them to shut them off.  (Just set However, what you might prefer is an electric mattress pad and an electric blanket. Especially the electric mattress pad. That prevents the cold air coming up from the air mattress. I always use one when tent camping.

Also, during the day when you are not in the tent, open as much ventilation as possible (without letting rain in) and run a fan.  The humidity in FL is killer even in the winter. That will help dry out all that moisture you created while sleeping each night.

If I was to use a heater in a tent it would have to be the oil filled radiator type. 

I love those! No room in the car for one though.  (We're meeting my Dad w/RV there)  Maybe I can convince him to take one.

I just looked we had a Honeywell. It's plastic and shuts off if tipped. We did set it up on something but I don't remember what.

The electric blanket is sweet to use.

I usually set the electric heater on the bin that all the tent stuff is packed in. It makes a great nightstand. (I get rid of the original tent bag) and pack everything in a bin in the order that it needs to come out of the bin. (Linens on bottom), then air mattress, then tent, then rainfly, and ground cloth, poles, stakes on top.

I'm not sure I could talk the husband into the electric blanket.  Then again I haven't mentioned it yet. 

On an unrelated note- my dad will be pulling in with the MoHO by himself. Are there CMs available for spotting that can help him back the sucker in?

Not that he couldn't do it himself- I just worry about my Daddy. :)

I'm not sure I could talk the husband into the electric blanket.  Then again I haven't mentioned it yet. 

On an unrelated note- my dad will be pulling in with the MoHO by himself. Are there CMs available for spotting that can help him back the sucker in?

Not that he couldn't do it himself- I just worry about my Daddy. :)

I am not sure how many CM's will show up or how long it will take for them to show up to help your dad.

But, if it's an attractive woman who needs help, I've seen four or five male CM's materialize out of thin air almost instantaneously.

TCD

I think our heater is a Honeywell, too. Those little heaters are great. We have used them in tents and that is what Thrill used in the truck for his marathon trip over the weekend. The heat is pretty dry and has great sensors for turning off if tipped or accidentally covered by something.

I've used a couple of different heaters in my tents over the years. The best one was a small plastic one with a fan and thermostat. It ran a lot, but did turn off some. The radiator type seemed like a great idea, but ended up not doing the job. The heat went up and out instead of around the rest of the tent. I'd definitely not do it again without at least an electric blanket. That made a huge difference.

We have used a heater in a tent at the Fort twice. Both times were at Thanksgiving. My wife didn't complain of being cold and we are hoping to do it again in 2014. Depending on the temp outside it won't be hot (because most tents are well ventilated), but will keep it warm and help with the dampness.

We use an electric mattress pad in our RV, along with a Ceramic Heater.  I know you talking about tents, but the mattress pad was from when we had a hybrid with a tend end.  We would freeze before we had the heated mattress pad.  Keeps you very warm.  The issue I have with the heated blanket is if you get too hot, you have to take the blanket off, then you have nothing keeping you warm.  With the mattress pad, you still have warmth if you get to warm and take off some of the covers.

I wish I could get over my fear of electric blankets and mattress pads!  It would sure make life warmer.  I know that they are made much safer now, but about 20 years ago my parents' electric blanket caught on fire with them in the bed.  Thankfully they had not gone to sleep yet and were able to extinguish it quickly.  I am sure there are far more dangerous things in my house right now, I just can't shake that memory!

We have a dual control mattress pad on our bed at home. One night, I was hot so I turned my side down. An hour later, I was still hot so I turned my side down. A little later, I was dying it was so hot, so I turned my side off but it didn't do any good. The next day my wife said "last night I was freezing and that darn mattress pad must be broken. I kept turning it up but it just got colder." Sure enough, I checked and she had put her control on my side and my control on her side.