Walt's original WDW aka "the FL project"

It came up on TCD's latest TR, and it has come up a number of times before, so I thought it would be an interesting topic, for some, if it was discussed in depth without it being a hijack.

As an engineer, "Disney World" aka "the Florida project", has always intrigued me. I've done a lot of research on it, compiled as much official documentation as I can find pertaining to Walt's original concept, and how it all turned out.

So weigh in on what you know, what you think, ask questions, answer questions, post photos or drawings if you have them, whatever.

For those who don't know what "the Florida project" is all about, watch the video to get started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGEKE5JZQV8

I am also interested in this topic.

Last year, I bought and read this book, which focuses on the maneuvering and strategy used by Disney in acquiring the land for Disney World:

Image2762.jpg

It also discusses a lot of the original plans that Walt had for the land-including the idea of building a domed city.

The Magic Kingdom was not even on his radar.

TCD

I know naught about the origins but I am interested to see how this thread goes...

You get a prize for being the first Fiend, evah, to use the word "naught".

I am full of old words that no one has a use for...and I like them.

I am also interested in this topic.

Last year, I bought and read this book, which focuses on the maneuvering and strategy used by Disney in acquiring the land for Disney World:

Image2762.jpg

It also discusses a lot of the original plans that Walt had for the land-including the idea of building a domed city.

The Magic Kingdom was not even on his radar.

TCD

Funny story, along time ago when I was younger, I though Epcot was all in Space Ship Earth.  Boy was I disappointed the first time I came to WDW.

I read a book that said Kismet, FL was one of his first places he looked.

I never heard of Kismet Florida so I looked on my map app and nothing came up. So I googled it and according to the inter web. It's a ghost town about 50 miles from the World, I still don't know where it was.

But you maybe correct. According to another article. Walt's father, Elias, married his bride in Kismet Florida.

I never heard of Kismet Florida so I looked on my map app and nothing came up. So I googled it and according to the inter web. It's a ghost town about 50 miles from the World, I still don't know where it was.

But you maybe correct. According to another article. Walt's father, Elias, married his bride in Kismet Florida.

From what I can find, Kismet was located within what is now the Ocala National Forest, just to the north of Lake Dorr.  Here is the approximate location on a map of Central FL.

Kismet.jpg

What is the primary thing you notice about that location compared to where WDW was built?  

No highways.  

It's in the middle of nowhere.  And even though the land WDW was built on was considered to be the middle of nowhere in 1965, it was blessed to sit at the junction of two new superhighways.....I-4 and the FL Turnpike.  And Walt could see that from the air when they scouted locations, knowing that access was key to the Florida Project's success.  

From what I can find, Kismet was located within what is now the Ocala National Forest, just to the north of Lake Dorr.  Here is the approximate location on a map of Central FL.

Kismet.jpg

What is the primary thing you notice about that location compared to where WDW was built?  

No highways.  

It's in the middle of nowhere.  And even though the land WDW was built on was considered to be the middle of nowhere in 1965, it was blessed to sit at the junction of two new superhighways.....I-4 and the FL Turnpike.  And Walt could see that from the air when they scouted locations, knowing that access was key to the Florida Project's success.  

I have never heard of the possible Kismet location.

You are correct about the location of the highways being key.  Walt says so himself in the video Lou posted, above.

TCD

I have never heard of the possible Kismet location.

You are correct about the location of the highways being key.  Walt says so himself in the video Lou posted, above.

TCD

the Kismet location makes sense to me.

his mother and father were married there, and its in the Ocala National Forest, some what near Ocala.

Combine what carol read and what i remembered and just googled.  And you could get Kismet

I think history has shown that the location is perfect.

The scope of the project appears to have been way to much for the Disney Company to take on as Walt envisioned it. I think Walt's ideas for EPCOT were bigger than his wallet. Not to mention that he knew he had limited time left. The city was destined for failure.