Final walk on a used trailer this weekend.  I know to look for the following, please let me know what I am missing:

Exterior:

tires,

windows

siding

hitch area

Interior:

Flooring (check for soft spots)

Fabric

Cabinets

Check functions of:  stove, a/c, furnace and microwave

Check blinds/curtains

SHOULD I connect the water and flush the toilet or run water down the sink?

Thanks fiends!!!

Yes, check the water, and the electric too, all the lite switches, the turn signals running lites, brake lites, water heater

Can I check the turn signals and brake lights, without hooking it up to the car?

Edited to say:  They will have to move the trailer, to the front of the storage facility (for water and electricity), so it will actually be hooked up to his truck... we'll definitely check those lights!

Unless it is an airstream or something really old it is probably fiberglass..  You should look for large bubbles, bulges or waves in the fiberglass on the exterior.  That is called delamination and is not easily fixed, (very expensive). The other type of siding is the corragated siding nailed to wooden studs.  They will almost always leak around the front window if there is one.  If there is no interior damage you can fix that with caulking but if you smell mold on the interior of any unit you should run as fast as possible.  Flush the toilet and hold the pedal down for a while so you can look down that hole with a flash light.  Not a job for those faint of heart.  It may smell but should not induce vomiting.  You are looking to see if it was emptied recently and if there is any insect infestation that will fly out or move about in your flashlight beam.  When in the interior inspect the ceiling around any opening in the roof like the A/C, TV antenea crank,  Never assume anything works.  If it has the following equipment, hot water heater, water pump, refrigerator, stove and furnace please check them to see if they work.  Bring your own Propane tank from your BBQ so you don't hear the old "Propane Tank is empty", excuse.  Many trailers have 12 volt batteries.  Make sure they hold a charge.  Then inspect the tires.  The treads rarely wear out but if one or more have uneven wear they may be out of align or the trailer frame or axle is bent or out of align.  The tire side walls should be closely inspected for cracking.  Tires older than 6 years should be replaced.  The manufacture date is on the tire sidewall.  You might be able to get away with older tires in northern climates but the sun dries out tires fast.  While you are on your knees, use your flashlight to inspect the undercarriage for damage. I know that this seems to take away the fun and enthusiasm out of buying a trailer but you do not want to discover any of these problems while driving down the road.  Once you do hit the road you will go with confidence.     

For fiberglass or smooth sided units.....

Start by looking under rig. Is everything enclosed? If not, any rust issues? Is the plastic membrane protecting the wood floor under trailer still intact.  Any areas that look suspect tap with a hammer or a fist. Rotten or soft wood has a much different sound than good wood.  Any mildew smells? Check tire date codes.

Sidewalls -  Check for delamination  (large bubbles on surface). Delamination sometimes indicates damage to the luan wood beneath the surface.  Push or slap on area of sidewall to get an idea what a good laminated surface feels like.  Now push on the sidewall where it meets the rear wall (from top to bottom). Do the same where sidewall meets front cap/wall.  This is a common area of damage when leaks occur.  Are decals in decent shape? If so they are unusually expensive to replace.

Back/Front - most manufacturers do not laminate rear and front walls, so do not pound on it like you did sidewall.  A gentle but firm push will tell you if its laminated or a hung filon fiberglass. (Aside: Some units have molded ABS or gel coat front or rear caps. You should know this when you see. Just check for cracks or signs of repair here. ) If laminated, treat like sidewall with slaps, if hung push firmly and look for really strange swollen or weak areas  -  all signs of water damage.

Check seams top to bottom connecting sidewalls to rear walls and front caps.  Look for unusual gaps or unusual amounts of caulk. Open compartment doors and knock on floor with fist to hear for rotten wood. Slap or knock on interior storage walls as well.

Check roof seams if possible. Bubbles on roof material. Overall condition of roof material. Condition of all seals - are they dryrotting?  Any weird smells?

Inside Trailer - Any smells? Mildew/urine/smoke?  These can all be difficult to remove.  Have the owner turn on Fridge a day before you get there so you can see if it works. <- They take a long time to get down to temp.  Open all cabinet doors. Look in cabinets on walls and ceilings for signs of water damage. Look in cabinets at floor for signs of water damage. Knock on floor with fist to hear if the wood floor sounds good. You are trying to detect soft areas. Common areas are near slides, in slides, especially corners. Look at fascia board on slide out. Check floor in front of sink, under sink, in front of shower, behind toilet. under bed, next to bed. Interior front wall.

If you can, unscrew an overhead light and remove to see if there are signs of water leaks around the hole where wires are run through ceiling. Stick your finger in hole to feel for dampness.

Like everyone else said, run everything and have the person selling walk you through the operation of all appliances to test.  

I'm sure I forgot something but this will get you started.  

Thank you fiends!  HUGELY helpful!  I'm going to print all of this out, compile a list, and inspect...inspect...inspect.

I know that this seems to take away the fun and enthusiasm out of buying a trailer but you do not want to discover any of these problems while driving down the road.  Once you do hit the road you will go with confidence.     

My thoughts exactly :)    Thank you!

Oh...one thing I did notice at the first walk, there is rust on the rack in the fridge... is this normal/okay?

While some rusts on the racks is not that uncommon in older fridges (how old is this unit?)....you do not want rust on the coils.  There should be an access panel to the rear of the fridge on the outside of the trailer.  Remove it and check out the fridge's cooling unit, evaporator coils and such.  I wouldn't want those to be rusty, because it would indicate a bad, or soon to be bad, cooling unit.  

Also, be aware that some RV fridges were recalled for fire hazard.  Maybe a good idea to check out which model fridge it is and see if the recall pertains to it, or if it has already had the repair.  

Check the floors inside the outside access storage compartments. The doors on these are notorious for leaking, and the water can sit and rot away the floors. Just open the access door and push on the floor. You should be able to knock on it and it will sound like knocking on a door. If it's soft, run. Like the wind. These floors are a nightmare to repair unless you can access them from inside under a dinette seat or a bed.

I've know several people that have been happy with R-Vision products. 2 things to check for in the above model in addition to my notes above. Delamination in the bunk end floors/exterior walls is one. Also walk around the floor pretty good. The floor decking in the R-vision are relatively thin and tend to soften a bit in our climate (Houston). Check that they aren't too springy.

I had a 2005 R-Vision TT that was 26ft long.  I traded it in on a MH in 2007 and noticed it had developed delamination.  It was relatively easy to tow but I did have quality control issues with it.  I bought it new so your factory problems should have been corrected by now and if delamination has not yet started, it may never so you should be good to go.  I strongly suggest you inspect the hinges on every cabinet door including those under the bed and on any storage compartment.  You are looking for missing screws or inproperly aligned screw that have not been inserted straight or completely.  Check all window valences for missing or loose screws.  I did not have any water leaks but you should inspect the roof because it is commonly known as a rubber roof that will cause black streaks on the side of the unit if it is not washed often and does not have a life span much beyond 10-15 years.  When you look into the A/C vents you will see styrofoam because the ducts are just carved out of the styrofoam insulation and are not  separate pieces.  This makes the A/C somewhat louder but by the time you get it the little white flakes should be blown out.  Knowledge is power so you can talk about all these things when talking about price.  Good Luck   

Thank you, each of you, for your (very) helpful advise.  My husband and I inspected the trailer yesterday...I think I touched every inch of that trailer, including up on the front and crawling on the ground looking underneath.  I pushed the siding, interior walls, walked the floor slowly and everything looked/felt solid.  I saw no evidence of leaks and all the mechanics appeared to work well.  This particular owner has his new trailer, parked next to our storage spot...so I feel (somewhat) confident that his words were honest as he we know, where he "lives"  :))  All that being said.... the trailer really did appear to be in good condition and we do feel that this past owner took good care of it so... we are now the new owners of a cute hybrid trailer! :)  Completely thrilled, but also freaking out a little bit as while this man was explaining about the camper (how to do this and that) we came face-to-face with the full realization that we know NOTHING about how to set up, take down or maintain a camper.  Zero.  Nada.  Zip.  Yep... we're going into this blind (as I'm guessing several have).  So, come May if any of you fiends see a family with a Hybrid completely lost at 1) trying to back the thing into the spot and 2) trying to set it up....that would probably be us :)

Now... on to finding a tow vehicle....