We are looking at this model:

Floorplan Jayco 254 Weights   Unloaded vehicle weight (lbs) 4520 Hitch weight (lbs) 535 Gross vehicle weight (lbs.) 5900 Cargo carrying capacity (lbs) 1380 Measurements   Exterior travel length 26' 10" Exterior campsite length 30' 8" Exterior height with A/C 117" Interior head room (living area) 78" Tank Capacities   Fresh water capacity (gals) includes water heater 30 Gray wastewater capacity (gals) 30 Toilet/black wastewater capacity (gals) 23 Other   Sleeping capacity

7-10model_floorplans_pic_621.jpg

We have a 2013 Ford Expedition with the tow package, not an EL so it's the shorter wheelbase.

Tow Rating: 9200lbs

Max Tongue: Load 920lbs

Ratio:  3:31  I expect this to make it a little sluggish.

I plan on swapping out the tires for a set of Michelin LTX M/S 2, not thinking the P Rated tires will be very stable for towing.  Will of course use a WDH, still have my Equalizer, just need to replace a couple of parts.  Considering a Hensley Cub type setup, though this trailer may be a hair long for the Cub.  I do have a hitch scale so keeping an eye on the actual hitch weight is pretty easy.

Anyone towed with a similar setup?  I towed our old trailer from storage to home, brief stint on the freeway and power/response wise it was fine.  On the freeway it was a total night mare, mostly due to the tires I think.  Here are the old trailer specs.

Unloaded vehicle weight (lbs.) 6155 Dry hitch weight (lbs.) 760 Gross vehicle weight (lbs.) 8180 Cargo carrying capacity (lbs.) 2025 Measurements   Exterior length 28' 11"

Any input would be appreciated!

Yeah, I was going to ask the same thing, what is the GCWR of the Expedition?

If I'm figuring towing capacity, I take the GCWR number, fill up the TV with people and stuff, then get that weight, subtract from GCWR, then whatever is left is the MAX you can tow.

You also have to figure in the weight of a full tank of gas. They only figure 150 pounds for the driver and half a tank of gas for their calculations. Also throw in the weight of the hitch.

Something else you need to think about - that length of trailer with a short wheel base is going to be VERY squirrelly in a wind ... or even when a big rig blows by you.

I spoke with the reps at Hensley and confirmed the Cub will work with this trailer.  Since I could use a new hitch anyways I will probably go this route and finally find out if they are truly as good as all the claims.  About a year from now the Expedition is slated to get traded in for a Expedition EL should they get their collective heads out of their bums and put the Twin Turbo Eco in it.  The 3:73's will be a must have at that point.  When I tow I tend to sit between 60-65 max and try not to drag race to much with it =)  We are mostly weekend warriors with a range of a couple hundred miles at most.

And as painful as it is I did calculate the weight of us (actual, not desired :banghead: ), full tank of gas and associated dogs/stuff.

I was still concerned about the trailer length and the comments here reinforced that I should think on that harder and we found a good deal a 2008 Jayco 213 in the same series which clocks in at 23.7 feet.  Little lighter and little less hitch weight but overall the same useable space as the 254.  A common method it seems to calculate Wheel base is to do wheel base/5 for trailer length.  The internet as usual has 2 camps this method, one that calls it total hogwash and a 30' behind a Suziki Samurai is just fine and the other that if your 1 inch over your rig will squirrel of the road into a dramatic fireball the first time your passed by Geo Metro. By that method though, that makes ours a max of 23.8' so this trailer seems to be good fit. 

Also came across a used Cub at a heck of a price.  I was of course told using a Cub was way overkill by the dealer and they may be right, but I tend to not like any instability at all.  My comfort level is pretty low in that arena.

I did read the other thread here on stuff to check and  that was a huge help.  We got a decent list of things that needed/should be repaired before we take ownership.  Photos will come once we have it all setup and heck, we may even do another Fort trip.  It's a heck of a haul for us in SA.

Thanks for all the advice and comments :)

That trailer is basically the same as my Outback as far as layout and weights. I tow with an F150 super cab, 5.4l with 3.73 rear end. With the proper weight distribution hitch and properly adjusted, it would tow great with your truck. One thing to remember with weight distribution hitches is not to over do it with these light trailers. If the hitch is too stiff, the handling won't be so great. Try to closely match the hitch rating to the tongue weight. I had an article written by an engineer about weight distribution hitches and will try to dig it out of the archives, but the gist of it was what I just said.

This is NOT the article I was talking about, but has just about everything you need to know about weight distribution systems.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

This is NOT the article I was talking about, but has just about everything you need to know about weight distribution systems.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

Very good link FWG. We used to tow a travel trailer but after getting the 5th wheel I do not think we would go back, just guess I'm getting lazy

I'll put in my 2 cents re. Hensley. I think they make a good product, but they imply you can pull a bigger trailer with a smaller tow vehicle with their hitches. If you go on their web site for the cub, they come right out and say you will be able to tow a trailer with a car if you use their hitch. Sorry guys, but I don't think it's a good idea.

http://hensleymfg.com/products/the-hensley-cub/

Here is the article on trunion bars I promised. It will blow all the "bigger is better" guys out of the water, and I like it because I have the same philosophy.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~tomorkim/Reese.htm

Can you tell I am a Reese hitch guy? I think it is because they are simple and I am a simple guy, and it is what I started with 30 years ago and I am a creature of habit, not liking change. I also use a single friction sway control and it works just fine for my set up. I know a lot of guys are getting their panties in a bunch over it, but once agin it is simple, easy to adjust, and it works.

Here is the article on trunion bars I promised. It will blow all the "bigger is better" guys out of the water, and I like it because I have the same philosophy.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~tomorkim/Reese.htm

good article, thanks. I am a bigger is better guy, but the nice thing about the Pro Pride hitch I bought is that it is fully adjustable - so even with oversize bars you can customize the amount of lift given to the rear of the TV.

I have 700lb bars with a 600 lb hitch weight and it pulls like a dream.

Nothing wrong with being safe. You should feel comfortable with your tow setup.  Having said that.....  Asking for towing advice on the internet will undoubtedly leave you with serious doubts -  regardless of the capabilities of your tow vehicle.  So here's my opinion.  

If I owned your tow vehicle, I would feel completely safe towing any of the campers you mentioned.  I'd pair it with an Equal-i-zer hitch and a P3 controller and call it a day.