1000 pound bars will be good in my experience. Especially good if you have any cargo weighing down the back of the Expedition.  I agree, 600 lb bars would be cutting it too close.  They make a E2 hitch with 800 bars. The sway control in the E2 is supposedly not as good though.

The deal on the trailer is almost done, got all the replacement parts I need on order for the hitch.  Just got my fingers crossed that this one tows much different that my other much heaver and larger trailer did with the vehicle.  If it feels even a bit sketchy I'll just beef up everything I can.  Stuck with the 3:31 gears though, can't swap that out easily at all.  Just means a new Expedition will be due when/if they put the EcoBoost in it.  Then I will go EL for the longer wheel base which comes with the 3:73's anyways :)

When I went in to buy they had some sale prices posted up on the wall and hey, there was my trailer at about another $1400 less than the price we had discussed from the internet and e-mail.  I just pointed at it and said "I like that price better"  :jumpforjoy  After a bit of talking and going to look at the unit they easily agreed to let it go at that price.  They had done some rehab to the trailer to help it move and were looking to recoup some of those costs but had never taken down that price.

The deal on the trailer is almost done, got all the replacement parts I need on order for the hitch.  Just got my fingers crossed that this one tows much different that my other much heaver and larger trailer did with the vehicle.  If it feels even a bit sketchy I'll just beef up everything I can.  Stuck with the 3:31 gears though, can't swap that out easily at all.  Just means a new Expedition will be due when/if they put the EcoBoost in it.  Then I will go EL for the longer wheel base which comes with the 3:73's anyways :)

When I went in to buy they had some sale prices posted up on the wall and hey, there was my trailer at about another $1400 less than the price we had discussed from the internet and e-mail.  I just pointed at it and said "I like that price better"  :jumpforjoy  After a bit of talking and going to look at the unit they easily agreed to let it go at that price.  They had done some rehab to the trailer to help it move and were looking to recoup some of those costs but had never taken down that price.

Actually call your ford dealer if 3:73 was a option on your expedition I would say around $1500.oo or less they should be able to swap your gears and reprogram your shift points.

This is NOT the article I was talking about, but has just about everything you need to know about weight distribution systems.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

Great article. Thanks

I have a rudimentary understanding of physics, but can't for the life of me understand how it, utilizing the same contact point with the TV, works....but work it does. I have weight distributing and anti sway both. Worth every dime. Even with my Super Duty truck, there is a NOTICEABLE difference without the gear.

Great article. Thanks

I have a rudimentary understanding of physics, but can't for the life of me understand how it, utilizing the same contact point with the TV, works....but work it does. I have weight distributing and anti sway both. Worth every dime. Even with my Super Duty truck, there is a NOTICEABLE difference without the gear.

You will notice on the specs, even the Super Duty trucks, that full tongue/towing capacity for the truck cannot be reached unless you use a Weight Distribution system.  Ford has some of the better towing guide information out there IMHO.

Ford announced 2015.  No word yet on tow ratings.  This will be the only engine offered.  No more V8

Great article. Thanks

I went to an engineering school and I can't figure out how the things work, either.

The pickup:

1. The brake away cable was shredded, glad I checked.  Got a new style I need to get worked into it when I get a sec.
  2. Safety chains needed some work to reach
  3. The crank lift had sunk into the mud and would need to be removed and cleaned, A LOT.  I told him "Hey, guess what?  When you take that off you can put on this new shiny electric tongue jack I have sitting in the truck.  You won't have to clean all that caked in mud out."  Boo ya, free install.
  4. The CD Jensen radio thing in it was terrible, we knew it was though when we bought it.  When we got there it was out and a shiny new Sony head unit was in it.  SWEET!
  5. All the repairs we asked for were done.
  6. Everything else checked out good.
  7. They helped me get the hitch parts installed.

I need to tweak the hitch, she is riding a bit high in the front putting to much weight on the rear wheels.  This job should be much easier with the Electric jack on it.  We need to load it to, to see how it rides then too.

Other wise the tow was good with the Equalizer 4 point hitch.  This is even with the stock P Series tires.  Had a heavy head wind and we got moved around a little bit by the big rigs but overall not a bad trip.

The 3:31 gears are not good though.  Not good at all.  Poor thing has to really work it hard in wind and up little hills at highway speeds.

Reconfigured the hitch and it's sitting much more level, hair nose high unloaded.  This should level out nicely when we get some cargo.  Tows pretty good, can still feel the tires but at 65 with some wind and traffic it was not concerning at all.  Yesterday before the adjustments we could feel it moving around a lot more. 

Weighed the setup at the hitch jack with a tongue scale and came in at about 780lbs with full propane, trailer unloaded.  Will need to keep an eye on this and move the scale right up to the ball.

Parking it was fun, homey left us little room but backing this unit up was a breeze.

26859c6c-41f6-464b-aa32-fdfea53d66f0_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Did our first trip, 1k miles to Monroe LA and Back from San Antonio

The Good:

Mileage was around 9.6

Acceleration and performance was good, if a bit screamin at times.

Stable in some heavy cross and head winds, winds good enough to stand fairly large flags on end with some nice gusts

No porpoising, heavy bounces flattened out quickly and it felt very stable.

The shorter setup than our old truck/trailer combo was much easier at gas stations

The Bad:

About 8-9 hours in each day the area around the shifter felt a little warm to the touch, trans was certainly getting a workout.  Each day was about a 11 hour haul.  It was not a easy road trip.

Mileage was around 9.6

Still get that "sucked in" feeling when a big rig blows by, but it's not as bad as I have had in the past.

I think the tires made a huge difference in the experience.  I don't regret them a bit.  That spongy feeling was gone and everything felt way more planted.  Everything on the trailer worked great.  Still hooked up out front and we roll out again Thursday for our local spring break visit to Jellystone Wine Country.  Lot shorter drive this time!  I was a little nervous making our maiden voyage a 1k plus mile trip but happy it worked out well.

Did our first trip, 1k miles to Monroe LA and Back from San Antonio

The Good:

Mileage was around 9.6

Acceleration and performance was good, if a bit screamin at times.

Stable in some heavy cross and head winds, winds good enough to stand fairly large flags on end with some nice gusts

No porpoising, heavy bounces flattened out quickly and it felt very stable.

The shorter setup than our old truck/trailer combo was much easier at gas stations

The Bad:

About 8-9 hours in each day the area around the shifter felt a little warm to the touch, trans was certainly getting a workout.  Each day was about a 11 hour haul.  It was not a easy road trip.

Mileage was around 9.6

Still get that "sucked in" feeling when a big rig blows by, but it's not as bad as I have had in the past.

I think the tires made a huge difference in the experience.  I don't regret them a bit.  That spongy feeling was gone and everything felt way more planted.  Everything on the trailer worked great.  Still hooked up out front and we roll out again Thursday for our local spring break visit to Jellystone Wine Country.  Lot shorter drive this time!  I was a little nervous making our maiden voyage a 1k plus mile trip but happy it worked out well.

Let me know how that Jellystone is. We went to the one in Canyonlake week before last but we like the one in Waller alot more.

Will do.  We have been there before about a year ago, this will be our third stay.  They have some really nice facilities, the kids have a blast when we go up there.  Will post up some photos.  I like Fredricksburg for the German food.  The WW2 Museum they have there is pretty cool.

Sounds cool we haven't taken the camper that way yet.