Our daughter and her husband had one and it was a "money hog" their's was prone to electonics problems.

That was my thought... on this and the Audi that we looked at.  Both are probably very expensive to repair.  The only reason we even considered them, is because they claim to have the towing power and they can both fit in our garage (other tow vehicles we've looked at, are all too tall).  Having said that, I'd honestly feel safer pulling our hybrid in a bigger/taller vehicle.  I could be wrong in that thinking, but I do feel more secure.  Think we'll go that (the bigger) way...

I can't believe a VW has more towing capacity than a 1500 truck. Is that the van or the small SUV? IMHO , which is only my opinion. I would not tow any TT unless I had a full size pickup or SUV that had a tow rating that over what I was pulling. I almost learned the hard way pulling our 11000# TT with an under rated truck. Had to hold the wheel with two hands so tight and help from both legs pinned on the wheel

So many people think just because a vehicle says it can do something they are set. Like I've said a million times the problem with these light SUVs is the swb that makes the tires come up in front taking much needed weight off of them causing sway. Another thing even with a brake controller is stopping and controlling a trailer. Maybe I'm putting too much into it but I've seen a lot of people pulling stuff they shouldn't.

Maybe I'm putting too much into it but I've seen a lot of people pulling stuff they shouldn't.

No, you're not putting too much into it.

If anyone ever wants to see something downright frightening, head north on 75 in Florida some time on a Sunday afternoon in the spring.  The snowbirds will be heading north.  You would not believe what you see. 

TCD

For all the reasons mentioned above that's why I got a V8 on my truck when I bought the new one. Yes, I'm towing a measly 2000 lbs, but the old truck had only a 5,000lb capacity. The new one has 7,000lb capacity. Since the CCC on the trailer is so low, that means a lot of stuff in the truck, so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of capacity to fill the truck with stuff and still not even feel the trailer back there.

For all the reasons mentioned above that's why I got a V8 on my truck when I bought the new one. Yes, I'm towing a measly 2000 lbs, but the old truck had only a 5,000lb capacity. The new one has 7,000lb capacity. Since the CCC on the trailer is so low, that means a lot of stuff in the truck, so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of capacity to fill the truck with stuff and still not even feel the trailer back there.

We have a Chevy 2500 HD towing a 4000lb TT, it makes it easy.  We are looking at an additional vehicle due to the expanding family and I really don't want a mini van.......I'm thinking a Suburban that can act as a back up tow vehicle if needed.

Our daughter and her husband had one and it was a "money hog" their's was prone to electonics problems.

VW nice vehicle not sure how they would be to tow with but we call them over engineered. If you try to do any work yourself good luck.

Do NOT buy one!  We had one and it was nice...... until something went wrong, then it was expensive to fix because of the electronics and/or the German over-engineering.   ....   Do a Google search on Touareg problems and VW's denials that anythings ever wrong with them... (try "touareg death lag" for starters)

Our local garage, who will work on anything, has stopped working on VWs and refers people to the dealership.   :(

German engineering........ blech!!  I am having a love-hate relationship with my camper because of German Engineering. I love the way my little trailer is built..... until something goes wrong, then finding parts, Oy!!!!!!!

Let's just say, I'm sooooo happy there are a few European ebay sellers that ship to the US :)