A few fiends have recommended Good Sam over AAA....question that I have, is it worth the $80/yr to have this policy?  Now, as a reminder, we just bought a hybrid trailer and we know NOTHING, so I don't know of all the horrible things that could break (making the Good Sam policy a good idea).  In my simple mind, I see the tires on the trailer and know we could change one if it got a flat.

What am I missing, that makes buying the policy such a good idea?  Trying to watch our budget, so I need to justify costs before spending.

Tell me your horror stories fiends!

I have no horror stories, but my understanding is that AAA won't help you with your camper if your TV needs to be towed. And won't help with the camper in general (flat tire, axles, bearings, etc.). I dropped AAA and opted for Good Sam.

Haven't used AAA in a long time (and was woeful about using discounts from it) and haven't needed Good Sam yet. I have used the campground discount a few times now- not much, but every little bit is nice.

AAA could't provide someone to change a flat on our 2001 class "c" outside of Indy or in Peoria and I had full RV PLUS coverage. That got cancelled real quick. I still use standard coverage for our cars, but also for the DISNEY discounts.

AAA could't provide someone to change a flat on our 2001 class "c" outside of Indy or in Peoria and I had full RV PLUS coverage. That got cancelled real quick. I still use standard coverage for our cars, but also for the DISNEY discounts.

In December, 2013, AAA failed to send a truck to change the flat on my pop-up at WDW.  I was parked at Wilderness Lodge, and waited 2 hours before a Disney van helped me.  All I needed was a jack.  AAA never showed.

I have been paying extra for the RVPlus coverage just for this possible need.  I complained to AAA after the fact.  To their credit, they were very apologetic. They were having a bad day.  They refunded me the annual cost of the RVPlus coverage.  I went ahead and renewed for another year.

If, God forbid, I had a problem with my tow vehicle, and it had to be towed somewhere, the cost of the RVPlus coverage is worth it to me.  Otherwise, I'd have to make my own arrangements for the camper, and I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap.

TCD

AAA has been helpful a couple of times for us with tires on the camper, but towing?  Forget it.  Long run around..."We cant find a flat bed, we dont have access to a tow truck that will handle your trailer".  Really?  All 23 feet of it???  Have had AAA for a long time, and the car/tow vehicle service has been great, but we are pretty much on our own if it is more than changing a tire on the camper. 

If, God forbid, I had a problem with my tow vehicle, and it had to be towed somewhere, the cost of the RVPlus coverage is worth it to me.  Otherwise, I'd have to make my own arrangements for the camper, and I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap.

TCD

Good Sam and Coach Net cover all your vehicles and RV for around $100.00 a year. As I said I only keep AAA for the DISNEY discount and I have recouped my membership with those.

Good Sam has been very good to me. You mention flat tire. Unfortunately, you may more than likely have more than just a flat on the road (although that can happen too), but if you have a blowout, (especially with small trailers and popups), then the blowout will more than likely "blow up" through your wheel well and into the interior of your trailer, causing wiring and other damage, so it won't be a simple matter of just changing a tire.

I full well expect that if I have a blowout, my camper will need a flatbed tow.

Good Sam and Coach Net cover all your vehicles and RV for around $100.00 a year. As I said I only keep AAA for the DISNEY discount and I have recouped my membership with those.

I've had AAA since I could drive.  The peace of mind is worth the cost.  The discounts are secondary.  My oldest daughter has used AAA a couple of times for a dead battery.  It was good to know that there was a place she could call for help when she was too far away for me to jump in the car and get to.

But, I can't recommend them as being reliable to help out quickly with the RVPlus coverage.  I've only had to call twice for RVPlus issues in all the years I've owned my camper.  Once, I was close to home, and they got there super quick.  The second time was this past December, and they completely failed me.  But, they made it up to me after the fact.  I am giving them another chance.

TCD

It would take me about five days to tell you our horror story with our MH, but I will give you a five second version and why you need good sams and not AAA.  Get AAA for the discounts on fort sites.  Get good sams if you want someone to help you in a time of need and you are a camper.

Our MH (which had a trailer attached to it as well) had an alternator catch fire on the way home, rendering the electrical system down.  Our transmission runs off the electrical system and would not shift out of fifth gear in Thanksgiving traffic.  Contrary to the Florida Highway Patrol, we could not "push it out of the right hand lane."  Once we had some good samaritans and some fancy and expensive use of our golf cart batteries (we fried them) to jump start the motor and charge the batteries again to get it out of the road, Good Sam towed us 104 miles back home.  They also went to bat for us when the people who tried to fix our RV ripped us off and towed us to another garage, where I knew the mechanic and got the MH fixed by competent people.

We have Coach Net.  Had AAA until we got the moho.  We only renew AAA now if we can get a site discount at the fort.  Of course Disney never asks to see our card.