Grand Floridian/Boardwalk/Fort Wilderness April 2014

Just curious... How much is the coach?

$3500.  That would only take you from the Grand Floridian to the Wedding Pavilion and back after the wedding.  We thought that was a lot of money, but I guess they have to get all the horses and stuff prepared.  Probably a lot more work than it seems.  But, as soon as my daughter saw the price, that was out.  They had a 48 Caddy instead that took us from the Grand to the wedding pavilion, then the bride and groom from the wedding to the reception for almost a tenth of that price.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great photo of you and your wife!

WOW Love the pictures and the different resort hopping!

And DIT. It doesn't matter how well your girls marry. It's the father of the bride that pays. And the better they marry the better the wedding has to be. Have you ever seen Father of the Bride with

They had a 48 Caddy instead that took us from the Grand to the wedding pavilion

Doug,

Below is a post copied from a thread I started about the Grand Floridian. You may find it interesting.

Richard, is one of the current door greeters. He was a greeter 15 years ago. You'll notice that he's wearing a Legacy name tag, which is awarded to special CMs. If you could make out where he's from on his tag, it would read NH, my, and MOs home state.

Other than being CMs at the GF, Richard and I have a connection of sorts. I've told this story before, so if you've heard it, nothing to read here.

Back in the day, the 30s white Cadillac out front was used to chauffeur newlyweds to their reception and Richard was the chauffeur.

On this particular day, they couldn't find him to drive the Caddy. The managers were panicking, what are we going to do. We need to find a replacement, but the replacement had to fit into the special greeters costume, which was made to fit Richard, and only Richard.

They searched the resort high and low for someone that was Richards size, and guess who that was, yup, me.

In a frantic mood, as the newlywed couple was going to be out front in 15 minutes, the manager asked me, will you take the Caddy and bring the newlyweds to the Boardwalk convention center for their reception? I said sure, and rushed up to change costumes, including into the straw hat. I came down and was given a quick 5 minute driving lesson around the GF grounds. I pull up to the GF's Porte Cochere and whisk the happy couple away. They had no clue what it took to be able to give them that ride.

The Cadillac was very scary to drive. I white knuckled all the way over and back.

It's a great memory and my co-workers had a great time laughing and seeing me in the greeters costume. Unfortunately, no photos

Doug,

Below is post copied from a thread I started about the Grand Floridian. You may find it interesting.

Richard, is one of the current door greeters. He was a greeter 15 years ago. You'll notice that he's wearing a Legacy name tag, which is awarded to special CMs. If you could make out where he's from on his tag, it would read NH, my, and MOs home state.

Other than being CMs at the GF, Richard and I have a connection of sorts. I've told this story before, so if you've heard it, nothing to read here.

Back in the day, the 30s white Cadillac out front was used to chauffeur newlyweds to their reception and Richard was the chauffeur.

On this particular day, they couldn't find him to drive the Caddy. The managers were panicking, what are we going to do. We need to find a replacement, but the replacement had to fit into the special greeters costume, which was made to fit Richard, and only Richard.

They searched the resort high and low for someone that was Richards size, and guess who that was, yup, me.

In a frantic mood, as the newlywed couple was going to be out front in 15 minutes, the manager asked me, will you take the Caddy and bring the newlyweds to the Boardwalk convention center for their reception? I said sure, and rushed up to change costumes, including into the straw hat. I came down and was given a quick 5 minute driving lesson around the GF grounds. I pull up to the GF's Porte Cochere and whisk the happy couple away. They had no clue what it took to be able to give them that ride.

The Cadillac was very scary to drive. I white knuckled all the way over and back.

It's a great memory and my co-workers had a great time laughing and seeing me in the greeters costume. Unfortunately, no photos

Lou,

That is great!  What a story.  It must have been quite a whirlwind "training session" for you.

Thanks for posting that.   :jumpforjoy

Doug

For DME, if you truly have only carryons that you carry yourself on the bus, then no tip is expected, but if the driver handles your luggage in any way then a tip is expected.

I agree with everything Carol wrote and you should follow her advice, however I can also tell you with 100% certainty that those drivers will be looking for a tip whether they handle your bags or not. I call them cockroaches.

They're not Disney CMs and some blatantly solicit tips for just driving the bus.

I don't understand why Disney allows it. A lot, if not most, people assume that they are CMs, and their behavior reflects badly on Disney.

On the DME the last trip we had only carry on bags so we tipped a buck a bag, not much but as said it does add up. We even tipped the bell hop who brought our bags to the room as it was not ready when we arrived and he took it happily without hesitation.

Oh and by the way this was a wonderful trip report with lots of info for all the Fiends with little Disney princesses to prepare their future weddings and Dad's start saving up because it's going to cost you but remember they are ALL worth it no matter the cost, ( Boy am I glad we had boys!!!!) :rofl2:  :rofl2:

We even tipped the bell hop who brought our bags to the room as it was not ready when we arrived and he took it happily without hesitation.

Very wise move to tip the bellman or valet if they handle your bags or car, especially before. And don't be cheap about it.

I've been in the luggage storage room, at the Grand as a matter of fact, after a guest didn't tip the bellman to put their bags in storage.

He took those bags and threw them against the wall as hard as he could, whack! Then he threw them as high as he could and let them land on the metal rack, thump! If there was anything breakable, it did, not to mention damaging the bags.

So always, always, tip the valet or bellman well before he takes your car or bags. They're like servers and make most of their money on tips.

• 4 weeks later...

Richard was there when I was a CM there, and we would chat from time to time.

What started our first conversation was when I saw his name tag, NH.

Although he's the most well known, there were, and I believe still are, 3 greeters at the Grand. And if you like Richard, you'd love one of the other greeters, Ollie. He was Bell Cap in bell services, as I was at that time, and it was impossible not to like him. He's one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

While visiting the Grand years later, and to my surprise there was Ollie in a greeters costume.