• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disney Parks Blog needs a good spell checker.

I do like the menu but like others have said, not worth the $$.

Now, if they incorporated a Giant Smurf meet & greet.........

• 3 weeks later...

From the Disney Parks Blog...

Back in 1998, I had the good fortune to be part of the opening team in Africa at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Thanks to the impressive work of the Imagineers who created it, the park’s fictional village of Harambe became a very real place to us, with a rich history and vibrant population. The village took its name from the Swahili word “harambee,” which is roughly defined as “pulling together to create something greater than its parts.” For Harambe Nights, the new special event debuting at Disney’s Animal Kingdom this week, the citizens of Harambe village are doing just that to create an epic theatrical celebration of Disney’s “The Lion King.”

“On this grand occasion of the film’s 20th anniversary, the people of Harambe have pulled together to present the beloved ‘Lion King’ story to visiting guests in a new way,” said Show Director Marsha Jackson-Randolph. “The village storyteller hosts, the Harambe choir sings, the best dancers dance, and the Sangoma shaman works his mystical powers as iconic scenes of the film appear to come to life in the authentic African tradition of a ‘Story Circle.’ And there’s more excitement! Harambe’s Town Council has invited a 25-piece guest orchestra and a celebrity guest narrator to join them each night.”

During a recent rehearsal, Marsha gave us a behind-the-scenes look at some of the tremendous work going into the staging of this all-new show, “The Lion King – Concert in the Wild,” and her close collaboration with noted South African Choreographer Warren Adams, whose impressive credits include Broadway’s “Motown the Musical,” the Hong Kong production of “The Lion King,” “Of Mice and Men” with James Franco, and “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” starring Neil Patrick Harris.

I got goose bumps just watching the cast rehearse and can’t wait to see all the elements of the show come together in the Harambe Theatre. Of course, the only way to experience “The Lion King – Concert in the Wild” for yourself is to get a ticket to Harambe Nights, and they’re going fast!

Harambe Nights takes place from 7 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. every Saturday, June 7 – August 9, 2014. The celebrity narrators scheduled to appear each night as part of “The Lion King – Concert in the Wild” include*:

• June 7 – Viola Davis: “The Help,” “Doubt,” “How to Get Away with Murder” – SOLD OUT
  • June 14 – Avery Brooks: “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” “American History X”
  • June 21 – Montego Glover: “The Following,” “Memphis”
  • June 28 – David Alan Grier: “Porgy & Bess,” “In Living Color”
  • July 5 – Michael Beach: “ER,” “Third Watch,” “Sons of Anarchy”
  • July 12 – Harry Lennix: “The Blacklist,” “The Five Heartbeats”
  • July 19 – Joe Morton: “Scandal,” “American Gangster,” “The Good Wife”
  • July 26 – Alfre Woodard: “Desperate Housewives,” “Miss Evers Boys”
  • August 2 – Brian Stokes Mitchell: “Ragtime,” “Trapper John, M.D.,” “Glee”
  • August 9 – Patina Miller: “Pippin,” “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1”

Tickets are $119 for adults, $79 for ages 3-9, plus tax, and include parking, a Welcome Reception, the 55-minute theatrical experience, two hours of additional live entertainment during the Harambe Nights Street Party, and amazing food and drinks throughout the evening. For tickets, visit Disneyworld.com/HarambeNights or call 407-939-1319.

(*Entertainment subject to change)

New around here and have been reading up on the threads.  Am getting the feeling y'all are not too thrilled with the Annual Passholders deal. 

My family has recently inherited a nice camper which makes our jaunts to Disney a more frequent possibility, cost-wise.  I've been looking into APs for just this purpose.  I understand that many times, Disney's special offers are not available to APs, and I'm gathering from this conversation that the "perks" available to APs are overpriced and/or not worth it. 

Advise me?  Is purchasing Annual Passes not all it's cracked up to be?

Thanks for your time!

New around here and have been reading up on the threads.  Am getting the feeling y'all are not too thrilled with the Annual Passholders deal. 

My family has recently inherited a nice camper which makes our jaunts to Disney a more frequent possibility, cost-wise.  I've been looking into APs for just this purpose.  I understand that many times, Disney's special offers are not available to APs, and I'm gathering from this conversation that the "perks" available to APs are overpriced and/or not worth it. 

Advise me?  Is purchasing Annual Passes not all it's cracked up to be?

Thanks for your time!

In my opinion, if you plan 2 or more trips in a year and can swing the cost, an Annual Pass is VERY worth it!  It frees you up to just enjoy the parks, without worrying about staying long enough to "get your money's worth" in a day.  Sometimes you can enjoy the Fort during the day and just hop over to the Magic Kingdom for dessert and fireworks without worrying about wasting a ticket.  We loved it when we had our AP's.  

Absolutely get one for park admission if you feel you are going to have 8 or more days in the parks over the course of the year.

However, what we are grousing about is the "perks" have diminished.  There is a 10% discount on merchandise, and 10% discount on some dining locations for lunch.

Annual Passholder discounts on resorts and the campground used to be frequent and deep. Those have diminished on the resorts, and are practically nonexistant on the campground.

They used to have neat little pluses for AP holders, like special lanyard giveaways, special shirts and pins for sale, special reception areas in some of the parks, special "free" invites to new attractions. Those have diminished to almost nothing.

But as Dave said, if you visit frequently, the freedom you feel for park visits is AMAZING! Gone is the feeling that once you enter the gate, you have to stay all day to get your money's worth on that admission day you just burned.  We come down for 10 days to two weeks in the fall (Halloween) and often go into the park late in the day for a meal and an attraction or two. On our departure day, we often go for breakfast and Toy Story Mania on our way out and are out of the park by 9:30 in the morning.  We would never dream of "wasting" a regular park admission in that way.

Also, when you have that active annual pass, you will find yourself making excuses to go down there. 3-day weekends, need a couple of days off work, etc., etc.

One perk that is actually pretty good if you dine at lots of sit down restaurants is the Tables In Wonderland Card. You can purchase for $100 a year, and it allows you 20% off your sit down meals INCLUDING alcohol, for up to 10 in your party. (Restrictions, no split checks, automatic 18% gratuity, some holidays are excluded). Also valet parking is included at the resorts when you dine at a sit down at a resort.

Carol gave a really good description of the AP situation.

We go down one year, buy our APs and TIW, and then the next year revisit a few weeks before our APs expire.  This year we will be there 5 weeks on our APs.

We generally hit a park every day, even if it's only to get ice cream in MK.

Okay, thanks, y'all!  (Also, sorry about hijacking "Harambe Nights" and interrupting rants!)

What y'all describe about popping into a Park "just because" and finding a few days here and there to go to Disney are exactly what I was thinking in looking at APs.  It isn't as if I need a Reason to drive down, just an excuse.  :) 

Thanks again!

from the Disney Parks Blog...

Over the weekend, Disney’s Animal Kingdom played host to the first of 10 Harambe Nights special events, and it was incredible! From the mouthwatering menu and that super addictive Lion Chow to DJ Khalifa and the Harambe Nights Band, with so many wonderful parts of the evening it could be difficult to pick a favorite. For me, though, it is hands-down “The Lion King – Concert in the Wild.”

dak730991-613x407.jpg

dak830013-100x100.jpg
dak830009-100x100.jpg
dak938110-100x100.jpg
dak937814-100x100.jpg
dak357877-100x100.jpg
dak730011-100x100.jpg

This 55-minute retelling of “The Lion King” story is like nothing I’ve experienced before. Animated sequences on screens in the theater ebb and flow seamlessly with music, dance, and spoken word, all performed in the spirit and style of African cultural traditions. In one moment, a classic scene from the film plays out to a live underscore provided by a 25-piece orchestra. In another, a 16-voice choir of Harambe villagers steps up to sing as spirit dancers gracefully assume the roles of animals and other characters to help carry the tale forward. And it doesn’t get any more authentic than when Sangoma, the mystic shaman, commands the stage speaking in his native African tongue.

“One by One” and “He Lives in You” gave me goose bumps, and Mufasa’s death scene affected me more profoundly than it has since I first saw it on screen 20 years ago. All I can say is, “Wow”! You simply have to experience this for yourself!

Harambe Nights continues every Saturday evening through August 9, 2014, from 7 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. Each night, a celebrity narrator joins the villagers of Harambe for their performance of “The Lion King – Concert in the Wild.” The lineup of guest narrators features acclaimed and award-winning actors and actresses from film, TV, and Broadway, each bringing their own passion for “The Lion King” story. Scheduled to appear*:

• June 14 – Avery Brooks: “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” “American History X”
  • June 21 – Montego Glover: “The Following,” “Memphis”
  • June 28 – David Alan Grier: “Porgy & Bess,” “In Living Color”
  • July 5 – Michael Beach: “ER,” “Third Watch,” “Sons of Anarchy”
  • July 12 – Harry Lennix: “The Blacklist,” “The Five Heartbeats”
  • July 19 – Joe Morton: “Scandal,” “American Gangster,” “The Good Wife”
  • July 26 – Alfre Woodard: “Desperate Housewives,” “Miss Evers Boys”
  • August 2 – Brian Stokes Mitchell: “Ragtime,” “Trapper John, M.D.,” “Glee”
  • August 9 – Patina Miller: “Pippin,” “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1”

A limited number of tickets is still available for each of the remaining nights. Tickets are $119 for adults, $79 for ages 3-9, plus tax, and include parking, a Welcome Reception, “The Lion King – Concert in the Wild,” two hours of additional live entertainment during the Harambe Nights Street Party, and abundant food and drinks throughout the evening. For tickets, visit Disneyworld.com/HarambeNights or call 407-939-1319.

(*Entertainment subject to change)

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/06/first-impressions-of-harambe-nights-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

Now question, do you have to use a regular admission ticket in addition to this price?

Below is from the WDW website.  It's confusing - see the bolded part below.  It sounds like the ticket includes general admission to AK solely for the event but not for general park admission. But then it says that if you want to enjoy AK prior to the event you need a regular park ticket, which makes it sound like it works like MNSSHP & MVMCP.

Question is, is AK open past 7pm on the nights this is held?

• A separate ticket is required to enter and participate in Harambe Nights.
  • Theme park admission is included for the special event only. All attractions, entertainment and other offerings outside of the designated event area will not be available.
  • If Guests wish to enjoy Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park prior to the event, additional theme park admission will be required.
  • Advance reservations are highly recommended.
  • Tickets purchased prior to the date of the event will be mailed in advance. If you do not receive your tickets in time, you can pick them up at the ticket windows near the Main Entrance of Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park.
  • Entry to Harambe Nights begins at 7:00 PM with a welcome reception. Please plan on arriving at least 45 minutes prior to the start of the event to ensure you have time to park and enter Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park.
  • A wristband is required to enter the special event. To retrieve your wristband, please show your event ticket at the Main Entrance. If you are already inside the park prior to the start of the event, you can show your ticket to a Cast Member at the entrance of Harambe Village instead to receive your wristband.
  • Parking is complimentary during the event only, beginning at 4:00 PM.

Ok, seems this does work like MNSSHP & MVMCP.  AK closes at 7pm on the nights that Harambe Nights is held.

So it seems that as you are allowed in with your HN ticket as early as 5pm, you do not need a separate regular admission ticket unless you want to get into AK earlier than 5pm.

Thanks, if for some reason I find myself in Orlando on a Saturday night in July, and tickets are available, I might actually consider this, especially since you don't have to have separate AK admission to attend.  It looks like food is also included, so it's a possibility.

Thanks, if for some reason I find myself in Orlando on a Saturday night in July, and tickets are available, I might actually consider this, especially since you don't have to have separate AK admission to attend.  It looks like food is also included, so it's a possibility.

Love to hear how it is if you go.

With the food and all it's something I'd probably try once.

An extensive review of Harambe Nights has been posted to the Disney Food Blog with lots of photos...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/06/11/guest-review-harambe-nights-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

Some excerpts...

Event-Program-052-600x622.jpg

Event Program — Click to Enlarge

Here’s the view as I arrived. The streets of the new Harambe Theater District are set up and ready to go before the party.

streets-of-the-new-Harambe-Theater-Distr

And here’s the area after 1,000 people are let in!

streets-of-the-new-Harambe-Theater-Distr

The Welcoming Party menu is somewhat light, and everything food and drink-wise is repeated at all stations, so if you’ve found one, you’ve found them all.

Welcome-Reception-Menu-053-600x622.jpg

Pickled-Fennel-Paneer-Cheese-013-600x412

Pickled Fennel Paneer Cheese — Up Close

Moroccan-Beef-Kefta-015-600x412.jpg

Moroccan Beef Kefta

Spicy Durban Chicken is another familiar favorite. The flavor here was good, but the chicken was a bit dry, as chicken can sometimes get when it’s kept warm.

Spicy-Durban-Chicken-016-600x412.jpg

The Wolftrap, a blend of Syrah, Mourvedre, and Viognier, was a good option for guests who favor an easy-drinking red wine.

Wolftrap-Red-019-500x625.jpg

Fans of white wine could enjoy a glass or two of MAN Chenin Blanc, a light and refreshing option for a muggy Summer Florida evening.

M.A.N.-Chenin-Blanc-020-500x625.jpg

There were also a few domestic and imported beers. Some of the more interesting choices included St. George and the ever-present Tusker Lager.

But really, when you have Jungle Juice with rum, do you need anything else?

St-George-Beer-Tusker-Lager-021-500x625.

Guests should receive a tube of Lion Chow, a snack mix flavored with exotic spices, on your way into the show. However, these were just left out in the open at the very beginning of the event… and there weren’t enough to go around once the theater started loading. Hopefully, they’ll fix that.

The Lion King — Concert in the Wild

This, unfortunately, is where my enjoyment of the Harambe Nights experience started to unravel a bit. the “General Seating” area ($120) is in the raised bleachers at both sides of the theater (in the back of this picture) and the “Premium Seating” ($135) is a flat, non-elevated area, in the front and center of the non-elevated stage. The theater has effectively been cut in half by a curtain for this special show, so it’s more like a traditional stage area, and not a concert in the round.

Inside-the-Theater-026-600x412.jpg

Inside the Theater

I’m convinced that the only premium benefit you receive for the extra $15 dollars is the beautifully carved seat-backs that the “general” bleacher type seats did not have.

View-from-Premium-Seats-from-a-Seated-Po

View from the Back of Premium Seats, from a Seated Position

After-the-Show-035-600x412.jpg

After the Show as Night Falls

There were many hot food and dessert stations set up throughout the venue, and in the case of opening night (it was sprinkling a bit), Tusker House was also open for seating and for picking up food and beverages. (Only event food items were being offered in Tusker House, and not the normal Tusker House menu.)

After-Party-Dinner-054-600x622.jpg

After Party Dinner Menu — Click to Enlarge

Seating-After-the-Show-037-500x625.jpg

Seating After the Show

Here’s my plate from the Seared Lamb and Corvina Filet Station.

Seared-Lamb-and-Corvina-Fillet-Station-0

Plated-portions-of-Peri-BBQ-Pork-and-Veg

Plated Portions of Peri BBQ Pork and Vegetarian Tikka Masala Curry

Plated-portions-of-Butter-Chicken-and-He

Plated Portions of Butter Chicken and Heirloom Legume Wat

plate-of-many-of-the-dessert-offerings-0

Many of the Dessert Offerings and Jungle Juice

Nightime-View-50-600x412.jpg

Breathtaking Nighttime View

Overall

As much as I love the food and environment at Sanaa, Tusker House and Animal Kingdom, and as much as I was looking forward to Harambe Nights, I can only muster up a 5 on a scale from 1 to 10. While I never encountered anything horrible, there was also nothing that really stood out as being a “wow” moment.

Even with the exceptional performers, it fell a little flat. It was too cartoon clip-heavy, and about 10 minutes too long for my taste. And while the food was all good, there was nothing exceptional there, either. I have had some variation of most of these dishes at other Disney restaurants or Epcot Food and Wine Festival over the years, and they’ve all been better at those spots. Many of the items were overcooked. But also, for $120 per person, I don’t want to share a garbage can with two other folks in lieu of a table.

For those looking for a little goodie bag at the event close (aka Party for the Senses style), there really isn’t one. Your only take aways will be the tube of Lion Chow and your event program, so hold on to those!

Lion-Chow-and-Programs-051-600x412.jpg