Second Fort Trip!: trip report

That sounds like an awesome night and the slaw dog sounds delicious.

Where is the Big Kahuna when you need him?

That slaw dog was really good! We had a lot of fun, despite all the rain we had last night.

Love your tent set up!!!  I'm glad you set up an outside awning. I see too many tents with just chairs outside. I'm thinking, yuck if it rains, all their chairs are wet and no place but the tent to sit when it's raining.

We learned to put a tarp on the gazebo this time around. It was very cheap and isn't very waterproof. We wanted to make sure we could sit under it even if it rains. Now, when the rain's blowing sideways, it doesn't matter - with a light rain, it's nice.

Ah...  You've experienced the famous southern smothered hot dog.    We made them last year at the Gettysburg Grand gathering and they have become a staple in our home.   They are delicious...

The dogs seem to be having a great time.  Seeing them run around reminded me of my childhood.  My aunt had poodles and we used to run after them.  To this day, I have never found a breed that can be on a full out sprint and turn on a dime like a poodle can.   They were great times and thanks for firing up those great memories....

I'm loving this TR..

I think Kenneth and I totally need to make some of these barbecue slaw dogs. Who comes up with this stuff? - an absolute genius, that's who!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We started out our morning with breakfast at Trail's End.

96AE4C41-0052-4AAC-83E3-7D65F24E95E9.jpg

030003E0-86AA-4A1F-AC52-27572354E2AE.jpg

5D2F8C9B-CCEE-4EC4-9929-826EB22C1E8C.jpg

It took us about 25 minutes to get seated. I didn't get any pictures, since it was a buffet (I don't really do buffet pictures). We decided to walk back to our campsite after breakfast, since we were so stuffed! And then, we went over to Best Friends to get the pups. We brought them over and walked them straight over to the dog park. We were over there for about an hour and a half and met some great people and dogs. I really love how friendly people are at the campgrounds.

Now, we're under the gazebo resting - we're tired, the dogs are tired. Here's the dogs resting after a busy day.

AC886FA3-66B5-43B9-B62D-FB5B8C0B9AEA.jpg

Last night, we went to Magic Kingdom. Our first stop - the ice cream shop by Starbucks, for the All-American sundae (usually vanilla and chocolate ice cream - we asked for all chocolate)!

387DB30A-618B-4ADB-BF8B-63CC56D9D60F.jpg

We didn't stick around for very long last night. Rode a few things and went back to the tent to crash.

Today is our last full day here. We signed the dogs up for Stay and Play again, so we'll look for them on the webcam later. I wanted to do some shopping so we came over to Downtown Disney. Right now, we're at the Earl of Sandwich. I'm having the chicken bacon avocado wrap with some pasta salad.

6E706AC3-E61C-4BAB-9444-51830B9A9459.jpg

We had our first snake encounter this morning. This little guy was hanging out near the comfort station.

B010C5A4-D309-461B-881C-8ACF186774F1.jpg

That's part of the reason I'm not a fan of heading to the restroom in the middle of the night. Because of that, we're camping with one of these babies:

6B48A598-28C9-43EF-A5BC-D7F96E2D9E10.jpg

It's really unbelievable how well we sleep in the tent. This bed is so cozy!

82DC7DBB-C709-4766-B367-196F87E3AB4E.jpg

Thanks for the info on the snake. That must have been close to our site!

Not to freak you out, but yeah.....it was right there by y'all! :) It was gone when I came out of the bathroom. I guess it went back into hiding!

We had our first snake encounter this morning. This little guy was hanging out near the comfort station.

It looks big to me!  I am freaked out by snakes.

I only call it little because a few weeks ago we had a bigger one (same kind of snake) in the bushes by our front door. And one year, we were unloading our car after a Disney trip, and there was a HUGE one stretched out in front of our front door. We couldn't get in our back door at that time, so we just waited until it went away.

Omg. The whole campground would have heard me screaming lol

I gasped and then said "I need a picture!" - it did spook me at first.

Getting a bit freaked out, but remembering to get a photo for your trip report. Proof that you are a true Fiend.

Getting a bit freaked out, but remembering to get a photo for your trip report. Proof that you are a true Fiend.

I so agree.  Great job!

Yes, good job on the snake picture!

And I like the toilet idea. Good move. 

How could anyone pass a snake, at the Fort, and not get a picture? Not quite as daring as when TCD took the picture of the gator, but it's a start. ;)

The toilet is GREAT for in the middle of the night. We don't have to run all the way to the comfort station!

Not to freak you out, but yeah.....it was right there by y'all! :) It was gone when I came out of the bathroom. I guess it went back into hiding!I only call it little because a few weeks ago we had a bigger one (same kind of snake) in the bushes by our front door. And one year, we were unloading our car after a Disney trip, and there was a HUGE one stretched out in front of our front door. We couldn't get in our back door at that time, so we just waited until it went away.I gasped and then said "I need a picture!" - it did spook me at first.

I would have said "no need for the potty now, just new pants :)

Not to freak you out, but yeah.....it was right there by y'all! :) It was gone when I came out of the bathroom. I guess it went back into hiding!I only call it little because a few weeks ago we had a bigger one (same kind of snake) in the bushes by our front door. And one year, we were unloading our car after a Disney trip, and there was a HUGE one stretched out in front of our front door. We couldn't get in our back door at that time, so we just waited until it went away.I gasped and then said "I need a picture!" - it did spook me at first.

I would have said "no need for the potty now, just new pants :)

Ha ha......I'm surprised Kenneth and I remained calm around that thing!

When we got back from downtown Disney today, we started to take apart some of our campsite. We emptied out the car and laid a tarp down inside (we're going to be putting some dirty stuff in there). I took down all of the lights from inside the gazebo and we took down the tarp on top of the gazebo. We loaded the cooler into the car and we'll drive to a comfort station for ice, in the morning (ice machine here still doesn't work - that's a bit of a pisser).

As we were messing around at our site today, Lou dropped by to say hello. It was great to meet him. Mindy had also stopped by the other day. Shortly after Lou left, red (Susan, I'm pretty sure - please correct me if wrong :) ) came by as well. Everyone we've met is super nice and it makes us happy to be a part of this group.

After doing as much as we were willing to do to the campsite today, we headed over to Epcot. We didn't get to spend much time there the other day, and we were wanting to try some of the food booths.

EE3E1592-49B1-4E43-B133-92B7D6EFA5DE.jpg

A47C4130-34C8-4D96-BBDD-9805CCD9940A.jpg

We started out each getting a violet lemonade at the Pineapple Promenade. We both really liked this drink.

1101FE79-5B4F-4115-B642-FC27B45480F2.jpg

Next stop for us was China. We ordered all three food items that they had. Spring pancake with chicken:

A42FE866-F7C3-4F4C-B465-BC4447DD3633.jpg

Veggie spring rolls:

B5B977C0-0035-43F0-A8B9-C9CD5D6FE1D8.jpg

Candied strawberries;

B2C61AE6-E618-4607-8E78-9FB0C368E3C5.jpg

We contemplated some of the other booths, but didn't stop again until Japan. I ordered the temaki chicken hand roll:

CEF71D87-B9A9-433D-ABF1-3C3848AAEF48.jpg

At this point, we were full (and tired) so we decided to head back to camp. Once back we hit the showers and we just finished sharing a bag of caramel popcorn that we bought at the German pavilion.

Plan is to get up early and break down the rest of the campsite (and pray that we can get it all to fit in the car). Once everything's loaded we can get our kids out of Best Friends and hit the road! We won't be back again until the end of September, but we'll be with a group and staying at Old Key West (that trip will include Halloween Horror Nights at Universal). We don't have any trips planned before then, unless we can figure out a long weekend in the summer (no way will we stay in a tent, though).

Great report!  Looking forward to your next one in September, we love OKW!  Ten of us once stayed in a grand villa there, we had a blast.  I seriously could live very comfortably there!

Wow-this Trip Report moved fast!

Great job!

I love all of your photos- you are a very good photographer.

That stinks about the ice- and it looks like those signs have been on the machine for a while.  That is pretty poor on management's part.  They charge a fortune for the sites, they ought to at least make sure that the limited amenities are provided.

Good job on the snake photo- you are a true Fiend.

I am glad that you were able to enjoy some nice weather at the end of your trip.  This weather Sunday and yesterday was near perfect!

If you haven't been already, just go to the trading post to buy your ice, same size bag, same price, and it's actually frozen harder than that at the ice machines!!

Don't have to fish for quarters either!

I agree that the ice from the trading posts is superior to the already melting ice dispensed from the machines at the comfort stations.

But, somewhere along the line, they have jacked up the price of the trading post ice to $2.75 a bag.  I paid that at the Settlement Trading Post in March.

The price for a similar sized bag from the machines at the comfort stations is still just $2.00.  I think the $.75 extra charge is worth it as you know you're getting a full bag, and the ice is frozen hard.

TCD

Great job!

That stinks about the ice- and it looks like those signs have been on the machine for a while.  That is pretty poor on management's part.  They charge a fortune for the sites, they ought to at least make sure that the limited amenities are provided.

I am glad that you were able to enjoy some nice weather at the end of your trip.  This weather Sunday and yesterday was near perfect!

I agree that the ice from the trading posts is superior to the already melting ice dispensed from the machines at the comfort stations.

But, somewhere along the line, they have jacked up the price of the trading post ice to $2.75 a bag.  I paid that at the Settlement Trading Post in March.

The price for a similar sized bag from the machines at the comfort stations is still just $2.00.  I think the $.75 extra charge is worth it as you know you're getting a full bag, and the ice is frozen hard.

TCD

Ooops, didn't know that on the price, but yeah, even so, 75 cents is worth it for not having to fish for quarters, not having to look for a working machine, and the ice lasting a bit longer.

I'm sad your trip is almost over. And I'm impressed you are doing it live. I struggle doing them after the trip. I love the Spaceship earth monorail pix!

We're sad it's over, too! This has been a really great trip. I have a hard time doing a trip report when I get home. With all of the unpacking and going back to work, I just get too lazy to sit down and try to remember what we did.

Great live report! Another tenting report, and I think the setup looks great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think we learned a little bit after camping, for the first time, last year. Having a comfortable outdoor area has really made a difference.

If you haven't been already, just go to the trading post to buy your ice, same size bag, same price, and it's actually frozen harder than that at the ice machines!!

We thought about going to buy some ice, but we don't have a golf cart or our bikes, so we would have to rely on walking/buses to get the ice to our cooler. We were afraid a good bit would melt by the time we got back to camp. Getting it at the comfort stations, we drove and parked in the closest empty campsite to the comfort station.

Great report!  Looking forward to your next one in September, we love OKW!  Ten of us once stayed in a grand villa there, we had a blast.  I seriously could live very comfortably there!

There's supposed to be six of us heading down in September, so we booked two studios at OKW - that way everyone would be sleeping in beds (as opposed to sleeper sofas). I remember the first time we booked a grand villa there. My cousin was here from Japan and we were running through all of the bedrooms, upstairs and downstairs - we were like kids on Christmas morning!

Great job!

TCD

I kinda blew through each day quickly - that's kind of the downfall to reporting live. I just give a quick recap, as I have time.

Excellent food pictures! 

Thanks!

I too am sad that this trip report is coming to an end!

We're bummed about heading home. Maybe I can talk Kenneth into a quick summer trip. We'll have to see what we can do.