Interesting info from WDW Magic...

The unprecedented popularity of the Frozen character appearances and merchandise has caused a change to the Magic Kingdom's morning rope drop procedure.

In an attempt to stop those guests desperate to be first in line for the Frozen meet and greet from running through the park, guests are now slowly walked along Main Street U.S.A. behind a rope, all the way through to Fantasyland. Previously, guests were free to walk along Main Street U.S.A. and would stop at ropes at the entrance to each land prior to opening.

Before this new rope drop procedure was put in place, guests were sprinting along Main Street U.S.A., cutting through stores and doing whatever it took to be first in-line at Princess Fairytale Hall, and even the merchandise locations selling Frozen items.

The stores are frequently selling out of merchandise, despite having a 5 identical item per person limit. The Frozen meet and greet with Else and Anna routinely has standby wait times in the 200 minute region, even though FastPass+ is also now available.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/news/12may2014-popularity-of-frozen-characters-and-merchandise-changes-the-magic-kingdom-rope-drop-procedure.htm

Wow, unbelievable. It's absurd that they are compelled to do that.

First, it's just an amusement park. Second it's just a CM dressed in a costume portraying a fictional animated character.

Really you're going to put people at risk for that?

The intelligence level of Americans has peaked and is spiraling downward.

Wow, unbelievable. It's absurd that they are compelled to do that.

First, it's just an amusement park. Second it's just a CM dressed in a costume portraying a fictional animated character.

Really you're going to put people at risk for that?

The intelligence level of Americans has peaked and is spiraling downward.

.....and then they voted!

:panic:

But wait, if you haven't had enough Anna and Elsa yet, Inside the Magic has shared a video ...

In an interview with Imagineer Pam Rawlins, it is revealed that more Frozen entertainment is in development for Walt Disney World and that Anna and Elsa will not stay at Princess Fairytale Hall forever. No specifics were given, but the popular franchise has Imagineers developing ideas for new Frozen attractions.

http://youtu.be/rrls6uE76L8

"No specifics were given, but the popular franchise has Imagineers developing ideas for new Frozen attractions."

But the crazed moms that are stampeding down Main Street with their darling little princesses in tow will not tolerate waiting 3 years for the new attractions to open.

Disney, we have a problem.

"No specifics were given, but the popular franchise has Imagineers developing ideas for new Frozen attractions."

But the crazed moms that are stampeding down Main Street with their darling little princesses in tow will not tolerate waiting 3 years for the new attractions to open.

Disney, we have a problem.

They could retheme the whole Norway ride in a couple of months if they wanted to. 

Maybe this is dumb question but how hard would it be to have a A & E meet n greet at Epcot either in Norway or innovations. And at HS between Little Mermaid and Back Lot. And one at AK where Pooh n Tigger are currently at. As well as the meet n greet at MK. This would definetely alleviate the wait times. Other characters have more than one meet n greet. They could sell merchandise in all 4 parks.

They could retheme the whole Norway ride in a couple of months if they wanted to. 

Nothing of any significance happens at WDW in a couple of months.

It takes them that long to just write up the purchase order.

Maybe this is dumb question but how hard would it be to have a A & E meet n greet at Epcot either in Norway or innovations. And at HS between Little Mermaid and Back Lot. And one at AK where Pooh n Tigger are currently at. As well as the meet n greet at MK. This would definetely alleviate the wait times. Other characters have more than one meet n greet. They could sell merchandise in all 4 parks.

That makes way too much sense. It will never happen.

I have never understood the "sprint" for any attraction. Main Street in an of itself should be savored.

Ditto

I will shed some light on this question.

The country of Norway has penned a contract with WDW to have exclusive rights to Frozen for an undisclosed timeframe. In order for this to happen, WDW said a proper meet and greet area must be constructed. In the meantime, the sisters were moved to PFTH to continue meeting while Norway turns the theater at the end of Maelstrom into a meet and greet. Once done, they will move back to Norway.

So its not a matter of how hard it would be. Its a matter of contractual agreements.

The country of Norway has penned a contract with WDW to have exclusive rights to Frozen for an undisclosed timeframe. In order for this to happen, WDW said a proper meet and greet area must be constructed. In the meantime, the sisters were moved to PFTH to continue meeting while Norway turns the theater at the end of Maelstrom into a meet and greet. Once done, they will move back to Norway.

So its not a matter of how hard it would be. Its a matter of contractual agreements.

So it's a matter of money.

Not what would be best for guests.

Money says everyone has to come to Norway to meet A & E so you'll buy our stuff.

Best for the guests would be to have meet n greet in every park.

I guess I just expect more from Disney.

Ok. Go ahead tell me how stupid I am and that Disney is a business trying to make money for their share holders.

So its not a matter of how hard it would be. Its a matter of contractual agreements.

Any word on a future retheming of Maelstrom?  

The Main Street Mouse posted this on FB...

Main Streeter Arlene H. was at breakfast at the Royal Table this morning and took this photo of the new rope drop procedure from a very interesting angle. She shared the picture and this message with us in TMSM Fan Nation:

"This was our first visit to WDW and we didn't know this wasn't normal procedure. We snapped a picture coming out of Breakfast at CRT because it was such an amazing sight. I learned yesterday this is due to the Frozen meet and greet insanity happening. It was quite the sight!"

Thank you Arlene for letting us share your photo!

https://www.facebook.com/themainstreetmouse/photos/a.126666737372919.10370.117795974926662/754522314587355/?type=1&theater

Why would Disney sell the rights of 2 characters it owns to a country? I'm confused. They probably could have made more money that Norway paid them. 

Why would Disney sell the rights of 2 characters it owns to a country? I'm confused. They probably could have made more money that Norway paid them. 

I agree.

I figure if there is such a deal, it was struck long before the movie was released. The characters showed up and began the meet and greets before the movie was released.

Nobody saw the crazy response this movie has evoked coming.  So, maybe Disney gladly took Norway's money thinking they got a good deal.  Disney clearly miscalculated how popular this movie ended up.  They ran out of the Frozen merchandise, and they still don't have enough to meet demand.  No way they did that on purpose.

TCD