Are self-serve Dole Whips gone for good?

A new entry from today on the Disney Parks Blog provides some limited new information about the changes currently underway at the Polynesian Resort.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/disneys-polynesian-resort-to-open-club-disney-in-june-trader-sams-in-2015/

Currently, the old quick serve location, Captain Cooks, is closed, and a temporary location is open.  There is no Dole Whip machine in the temporary location.

This little bit of news in the blog article suggests that the Dole Whip machine is moving to a new location:

We previously shared that a Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto, similar to the one at Disneyland Hotel in California, is also planned for the resort. Today we’re happy to share that Trader Sam’s will open its doors at the resort in 2015. In addition another new food and beverage location, Pineapple Lenai kiosk which will offer a tropical guest favorite – Dole Whip – will open later this year.

Pineapple Lenai kiosk?

That doesn't sound like a self serve kind of place.

TCD

Apparently, the official Disney bloggers are not hired for their spelling skills.

After a comment was posted about the name of the new Dole Whip joint, the spelling was corrected to Pineapple Lanai.  Which is good, I never heard of a lenai.

The text quoted in the first post is as it originally appeared on the site.

TCD

BTW, Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has a cheap substitute, Pineaplle sorbet of some sort. I bought some for the kids and they refer to it as Dole Whip, even though we know better. I'll try it in the blender and see if I can get more "whip" going on.

Today's Sentinel has the following article: 

Disney's vintage Polynesian hotel gets makeover

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/travel/os-disney-polynesian-village-remodel-20140515,0,2557215.story

Inside, Captain Cook's restaurant already is closed for renovation. Additions to the Polynesian will be Trader Sam's, a themed lounge that's popular at Disneyland, and Pineapple Lanai, a dedicated spot to sell Dole Whip, a treat originally sold exclusively at Magic Kingdom.

The Polynesian renovation began last year with the kids area, which has just reopened as Club Disney. The entire project will be complete in 2015, Wolber said.

a dedicated spot to sell Dole Whip, a treat originally sold exclusively at Magic Kingdom.

Hmm... that's not actually correct.

Although I'm all for any dedicated Dole Whip spot outside the parks.

I was looking at the end to that remark.  Is that wrong, or are they going way back to its origins?

Also, isn't there a joint at WL with self-serve Dole Whip?

I was looking at the end to that remark.  Is that wrong, or are they going way back to its origins?

Also, isn't there a joint at WL with self-serve Dole Whip?

It's possible they meant "in the very beginning" - I'm not sure when they added them at the Poly.

If there's a place at WL, is it new?  I don't recall there being one there in January.  If there is, this is very exciting news! well for me at least... :)

If there's a place at WL, is it new?  I don't recall there being one there in January.  If there is, this is very exciting news! well for me at least... :)

I thought one of TCD's TR spoke about it.  I could very well be wrong.  He needs to post and set me straight.

The Lodge and the Contemporary have self serve ice cream machines. Not Dole Whip. The GF may have one too, but I haven't been there since they redid the quick serve location.

TCD

Thanks for posting and clarifying.

Now, I bring another question into play.

We were able to get Dole Whip (not self-serve) at Epcot.  And with shots of adult beverages if you so choose.  It was around the Showcase Plaza on the Canada side. Possibly Promenade Refreshments?

Is that a permanent fixture, or was it only for the Flower & Garden Fest?