OT: World's tallest rollercoaster to be built on I-Drive

From WESH Orlando news...

ORLANDO, Fla. —The world's tallest roller coaster, the Polercoaster, will be built at the intersection of International Drive and Sand Lake Road in Orlando, WESH 2 News has learned.

Last week, WESH 2 News reporter Greg Fox broke the news that the Polercoaster was coming to Orange County, and now we know where. Several sources tell WESH 2 News it will be on the northeast corner of the intersection.

At 570 feet, the Polercoaster would not only be the tallest structure in Central Florida, it would require special Federal Aviation Administration clearance before construction can proceed.

It would also be roughly 150-feet taller than the Orlando Eye observation wheel, now under construction along I-Drive just south of Sand Lake Road.

A WESH 2 News investigation has revealed Joshua Wallack, under the name WF IDrive Realty, paid $7.2 million for five-and-a-half acres of land where the I-Drive Burger King now sits, and behind it, the former "Fun & Wheels" attraction.

Full article with video here...

http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/other/polercoaster-update-worlds-tallest-rollercoaster-to-be-built-on-idrive-sources-say/26292424?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=wesh#!TRjQY

I knew it sounded familiar, but when I searched I couldn't find the original thread.

570 feet, 57 stories, really?

:rollercoaster:

In related insane thrill junkie news, they just opened this here in western MA...

As the tallest swing ride in the world, this record-breaking spinning tower stands over 40 stories above the ground and provides an adrenaline rush like no other. First, you and 23 brave flyers will strap into your open-air seat with your legs dangling above the ground. The New England Sky Screamer will start to swing you around in a circle as you elevate to the very top of the tower to touch the sky, eventually reaching heart-pounding speeds of 40 miles per hour and heights of 400 feet. You’ll be so high up that only the birds will hear you scream.

bjbeonscaaey_yv.png

http://content.sixflags.com/comingin2014/newengland/new-england-skyscreamer/

Brian said no way, no how.

Guess I'm riding alone!  8)

First, this....   :bugeyes:

Then, this.....   :panic:

Next comes this.....   :barf:

And some more.....   :barf:

And I'm pretty sure quite a bit more....    :barf:  :barf:  :barf:  :barf:  :barf:

And finally.......   :mort1:

No WAY you will find me on an amusement park ride taller than the highest building in most cities.  Nope.  Never.  

And I'm pretty sure quite a bit more....    :barf:  :barf:  :barf:  :barf:

No WAY you will find me on an amusement park ride taller than the highest building in most cities.  Nope.  Never.  

Chicken :)

I knew it sounded familiar, but when I searched I couldn't find the original thread.

:rollercoaster:

In related insane thrill junkie news, they just opened this here in western MA...

bjbeonscaaey_yv.png

http://content.sixflags.com/comingin2014/newengland/new-england-skyscreamer/

Brian said no way, no how.

Guess I'm riding alone!  8)

We just rode Sky Screamer at Six Flags Great Adventure. Not as tall as this, but 242' is fairly high and the MPH is rated the same.

Comparing the yet to be built Polercoaster, I have yet to Ride Kingda Ka (456' and 128 MPH), the current tallest coaster yet (also at Great Adventure), but plan to do so in the near future.

Bring it.....

And I'm pretty sure quite a bit more....    :barf:  :barf:  :barf:  :barf:  :barf:

i am with you Dave....yuk

I would be willing to ride this coaster, already rode others but nothing like this, got to try it at least once, that is till we see how much it cost if it's like the coasters in Vegas it will probably be to expensive.

Chicken :)

We just rode Sky Screamer at Six Flags Great Adventure. Not as tall as this, but 242' is fairly high and the MPH is rated the same.

Comparing the yet to be built Polercoaster, I have yet to Ride Kingda Ka (456' and 128 MPH), the current tallest coaster yet (also at Great Adventure), but plan to do so in the near future.

Bring it.....

I would be willing to ride this coaster, already rode others but nothing like this, got to try it at least once, that is till we see how much it cost if it's like the coasters in Vegas it will probably be to expensive.

Yay - Fiends to ride with!!

Oh, let me clarify.  I LOVE coasters.  But I don't trust these one-off operators like the ones in Vegas or this guy on I-drive with my life.  I'll ride most any coaster if it's at a "reputable" theme park like Cedar Point or Universal.  To be honest, I'm not sure I'd ride them at Six Flags....that company has had way too many accidents for my comfort level.  

Fair enough.

I will say that I'm not willing to be the first one to ride the I-drive coaster.

I'll let them test it out on a few thousand other guinea pigs first.

And to your point about Six Flags... wasn't there a sky swing doohickey that just got stuck not too long ago? I recall a story of guests left hanging (literally) for hours.

(I'm still riding it)

Fair enough.

I will say that I'm not willing to be the first one to ride the I-drive coaster.

I'll let them test it out on a few thousand other guinea pigs first.

And to your point about Six Flags... wasn't there a sky swing doohickey that just got stuck not too long ago? I recall a story of guests left hanging (literally) for hours.

(I'm still riding it)

Yes, as well as various other mishaps. ... Some fatal. Granted some were due to rider actions but some accidents were mechanical.

Oh, let me clarify.  I LOVE coasters.  But I don't trust these one-off operators like the ones in Vegas or this guy on I-drive with my life.  I'll ride most any coaster if it's at a "reputable" theme park like Cedar Point or Universal.  To be honest, I'm not sure I'd ride them at Six Flags....that company has had way too many accidents for my comfort level.  

A lady died last year at the Six Flags over Texas on a coaster.  She was overweight and the lap bar didn't hold when it went around a corner which sent her flying. 

Yes, as well as various other mishaps. ... Some fatal. Granted some were due to rider actions but some accidents were mechanical.

When I was 17 I could operate rides ( I refused to learn any coasters because I wouldn't walk the lift hill and that was a requirement). Think about it now, it's kind if scary that I hardly had my drivers license and could operate theme park rides.

The developers of this project (who look a little on the slick side) held a press conference today to officially announce it.

The official name is apparently The Skyscraper.

It's going to cost $200 million, and won't be open until 2017.

I guess everything takes three years to build now.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/worlds-tallest-roller-coaster-coming-to-orlando/26340970

TCD

I'll be surprised if this thing ever opens.  I can't imagine anyone lending or investing that amount of money in an I-Drive standalone roller coaster.   

I agree.

What's the monthly payment due to the lender going to be on a $200 million loan?

Then add in property tax, insurance, payroll, maybe a small profit for the owners, etc.

They say tickets are going to likely be under $20 for unlimited rides. 

The math won't work.

TCD

I'll believe it when I see it.

Bill Kitchen has a pretty good track record. I suspect that this will be his most ambitious project though. There are a lot of hurdles to overcome.

He use to live in Celebration and so was a member of the Celebration Rotary Club when Gail was president. She got to know him a little bit and said he appeared to be legit.