Well, when we lived in Atlanta we found the mountains of western North Carolina and decided that would be our retirement home.  So, we found 3 acres with 450' on a native trout stream and built a home for our trailer.  This photo was taken during construction.  Now, 8 years later the grass is nice and green and I have added concrete walkways around the building and driveway in front.

dsc03605.jpg

The door is 15 feet wide and 14 feet tall with full clearance for the trailer the entire length of the barn.  I went ahead and built it 50 feed deep in case we decided to move up to a coach.  The road out front is two lane paved, but there is a ditch across the street - so it took a little practice backing the big trailer in.  Now, after a few times doing it it's easy peazy.  Last time I did it at 1AM with no spotter.  i just had to get out a couple of times to convince myself it was going in OK.

To the left of the door is an efficiency apartment with kitchen, shower and laundry facilities.

I have even added two campsites down by the creek with water and electric (20/30/50 amp).  My own little campground :rolleyes:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, when we lived in Atlanta we found the mountains of western North Carolina and decided that would be our retirement home.  So, we found 3 acres with 450' on a native trout stream and built a home

We replace the camper tires every four years, period.....   Of course, I can do that for around $200 on mine, so it's cheap insurance

Wow! Very nice.

Did you do a blog during construction? I remember following one in NC years ago, but I can't remember what it looked like?

I did, and may have posted it here before.  Our NC land.

It's nice because i really don't have to winterize the trailer.  While the garage space is not insulated, just being enclosed holds in the heat.  In our recent cold snap the outside temperatures were going down below zero nightly and day time temperatures seldom got above freezing, but the interior of the garage held above freezing.

We camp somewhere at least once a month, with the exception of Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb. So maybe for those 4 months I should park on boards.

Thanks for the information. Does sealed concrete have the same leaching problem as non sealed?

Yes, it does.  Our concrete is sealed too.

What about a concrete floor inside a garage? Or is it only outside?

Inside or outside ... doesn't matter.

We replace the camper tires every four years, period.....

Of course, I can do that for around $200 on mine, so it's cheap insurance

Lucky you!  Our last set of tires cost $4,800.

Well, when we lived in Atlanta we found the mountains of western North Carolina and decided that would be our retirement home.  So, we found 3 acres with 450' on a native trout stream and built a home for our trailer.  This photo was taken during construction.  Now, 8 years later the grass is nice and green and I have added concrete walkways around the building and driveway in front.

The door is 15 feet wide and 14 feet tall with full clearance for the trailer the entire length of the barn.  I went ahead and built it 50 feed deep in case we decided to move up to a coach.  The road out front is two lane paved, but there is a ditch across the street - so it took a little practice backing the big trailer in.  Now, after a few times doing it it's easy peazy.  Last time I did it at 1AM with no spotter.  i just had to get out a couple of times to convince myself it was going in OK.

To the left of the door is an efficiency apartment with kitchen, shower and laundry facilities.

I have even added two campsites down by the creek with water and electric (20/30/50 amp).  My own little campground :rolleyes:

OK, I want to retire there someday too :)

Very nice!

• 2 weeks later...

dsc03605.jpg

Very nice Tim.  Are you taking reservations. :lol:  

We hope to be your neighbor on the TN side of the mountains in about 6 months.  

I got to go read your construction blog now.  

We hope to be your neighbor on the TN side of the mountains in about 6 months.

I have several good friends that have retired to the TN side of the mountain.  We found our land when we lived in Atlanta and it was just a little over two hours to get there.  We have become close friends with the folks that live along the creek and now couldn't think of retiring anywhere else.