Baltimore to the Fort - our stops

We made 2 stops before getting to the fort:

1) Kosmos Village in Glen Allen, VA. Very small (14-site park) in front of a mobile home park. Fairly level sites (possibly enough that we could have went without 1 1/2 layers of Lynx blocks but we're "particular"). Their sites are all long pull thrus. I called earlier in the day to reserve as we were punishing ourselves with starting our drive around DC on a Friday afternoon. They put a cone on our spot to hold it. Site #5 was a little narrow and a bit muddy in the grass. The real problem was the electric hookup very far forward in the spot- in fact, my 50 amp cord wouldn't reach and I had to park the truck behind of the camper. Not awful as I ran across the street for diesel.

They had a crappy broke down playground and no facilities (bathroom/showers/or pool). I'd still stop here again as it is a good starting point for trips south for us. I think the price was $35 for the night.

2yju7u7a.jpgyhy3y3er.jpg

2) Pecan Park in Jacksonville, FL. This was a little expensive for us (even with a 10% GoodSam discount)- I think about $45/night. We got in at 11pm and left at 9:30am. But, it was close to the Fort for our 3rd day of drive. All concrete pull thrus that are around 60-ish feet long. We were able to stay hitched up with no leveling blocks. The night check-in procedure is pick a site and pay in the morning. Friendly folks at the desk.

The planes were loud overhead but we don't hear anything once we're inside the camper with the a/c on.

We thought this was neat. There was a guy in a motorhome pulling a trailer that had bird cages in it. We didn't hear then the night before.

geje8u2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're actually checked out and are enjoying the pool before heading to Clermont.

Fortunately the DC beltway and driving slow doesn't bother me. I worked around the beltway for 8 or 9 years. You just settle into a groove and wait. 135 miles in 3 1/2 hours. Longer than I hoped, shorter than I prepared myself mentally for!

I have to give you credit for patience.  We are north of Baltimore and I usually visit my mom in Salisbury before heading south.  That way I can avoid the Baltimore and the Washington beltways....besides the Bay Bridge Tunnel is a must do for my kids.

We are north of Baltimore in Harford County about 8 miles from Delta, PA. It doesn't seem like there is a good time to go around DC. We used to drive to Jacksonville and stop. This past trip we stopped at South of the Border campground. It was a nice halfway point and will stop there again.

We are in Harford County, too.  We stop at South of the Border on most of our trips...

One more from Harford County- Bel Air!

When we camped at the Fort several years ago, we left home at 2am, stopped at the VA line for a couple of hours of sleep, went on to Brunswick, GA to overnight, and the following morning hit WDW.  A lot of driving for the 1st day but we were excited and 14 hours on the road was our max.

Dawn

13-14 hours was definitely our max. I was pooped by the end of it.

For Christmas 2012, we drove Baltimore to Orlando. Left about 11pm and met up with my in-laws in SC to caravan the rest of the way around 8am for a long breakfast. We did some switching around, my wife drove and I went to the in-laws car to rest for a while. We went to a Marriott in north-east Orlando somewhere by about 6:30pm. We stayed there a night because we were staying at the Thousand Trails park in Clermont and it's first come/first served and I didn't want to be wandering around a dark park trying to pick a site while I was fatigued. We drove over to the campground leisurely the next morning.

I think it's one of the nicer TT parks that we've been to, but we have only been to 1/2-dozen or so. Other than the D-loop, it's not wooded at all. There are some spacious sites and some snug sites- one area is dedicated to 50 amp sites and the rest are sporadically spread thru out the park.

Here is our most recent site:

a8y9a7an.jpggy7ubuvu.jpg

And here is back in the D-loop (it's the only pic I have on my phone).

getegy6y.jpg

I have a write up of our Christmas 2012 trip with more pictures on my blog (www.learntorv.com).

Yeah, total loss. We had to full break the legs to get it to a small enough size to dispose of it. It was "cheap" in that it didn't have any way of locking the arms or securing the fabric. I have some ideas of what to look for one the next one.

And Rennie, it's funny that you got to see it. I'm not used to being caught during my mistakes! :D

If your are coming from Baltimore, the other option is to go down 301. The bad sections are Bowie and Waldorf, but besides that, there is less traffic. But there is a toll on the MD to VA bridge.

The Harry P. Nice bridge... I hate that thing. :) It's neither "hairy" nor "nice"! 1 lane each way, straight up, straight down.

Generally when I'm headed somewhere, I'm focused on just getting there- I'd rather drive the super slabs than do stop and go with lights and whatnot.

Generally on Friday I-95 crawls (especially where the HOV lanes dump into the normal lanes around Staford) while 301 will keep moving. For me, usually 301 is faster then I-95. Both from work (Suitland) and from home (Calvert County).

If you have Google maps or Waze, it should pick the fastest way for you based on current traffic.