Sorry if this is a post elsewhere. If so, just direct me there. However, we are headed back in September and want to add a day at a water park to our fun. We (my husband and I) will have an almost 9 y.o. daughter and (newly turned) 3-year-old son with us. Which water park do you recommend and why? My daughter LOVES water parks and will choose Splash Country over Dollywood any day.Thanks!

I'll start by saying I have not been to blizzard beach.

But two weeks ago we took our DD(9) to Typhon lagoon. It came highly recommended by several fiends.

We loved it. She was able to ride all the big kid rides. And they had several family rides. The snorkeling lagoon was a lot of fun. Also the wave pool is big so she was able to start off shallow when the waves came and as she got more comfortable went further in. I would recommend getting there early as the good seats in the shade go fast.

In my opinion, the kiddie areas of Blizzard Beach are much better than those at Typhoon Lagoon.

The TL wave pool is much more intense that BB's.  Fun for older kids and teens, but the BB one is better for younger kids.  Also, the lazy river at BB is longer and nicer than the one at TL.

Your 3 year old is not going to be able to do Crushin' Gusher or Shark Reef at TL, which are maybe the two best things there.

So, I say BB is best for your family at the current ages of your kids.

TCD

How crowded do they get?  Do you have to show up early to get a prime seating area or is there always good choices available?

They are busy in the morning until late afternoon.

The umbrellas and such that they sell take up a lot of the prime seating.

When we go, we just want a place to stash our stuff.  At TL, there's a sandy area with lots of chairs near Crushin' Gusher. It's much less crowded there than at the wave pool.

At Blizzard Beach, we typically will grab some chairs toward the back of the wave pool area.

If you get there at rope drop, you'll have no problem finding chairs, and some of them are under cover.

Later in the day, especially in summer, chairs will be hard to come by.  People won't necessarily be in them, but will have their stuff spread out on them to claim them.

TCD

Is there a full days exciment at Typhone Logone?

We got there at 9:30 and at 3:00 storms came in so they shut it down. DD and I did all of the biggies but one and were waiting in line for our last biggie when they shut it down. We probably would have stayed till 5:00 or 6:00. So my answer would be yes.

And we only waited about 10-15 minutes per ride.

Typhoon Lagoon has higher attendance than Blizzard Beach.

Afternoon thunder storms are common during the summer and both water parks will suspend operations due to lightening. If early enough, they will resume operations.

Because of the construction at DTD, in order to return to the Fort from TL after 2pm, you will have to take a bus to Epcot and catch a FW bus there.

Typhoon Lagoon has higher attendance than Blizzard Beach.

Afternoon thunder storms are common during the summer and both water parks will suspend operations due to lightening. If early enough, they will resume operations.

Because of the construction at DTD, in order to return to the Fort from TL after 2pm, you will have to take a bus to Epcot and catch a FW bus there.

I remember you saying that. If I do go i will probably leave by 12. 

Afternoon thunder storms are common during the summer and both water parks will suspend operations due to lightening. If early enough, they will resume operations..

We were told by a CM if they don't reopen, because of lightening. They will give us a rain check if we've been there less than 4 hours.

Can you confirm this Lou?

I would choose River Country. It's:

1. Cheaper

2. Less crowded

3. Closer to the fort

4. More of the "old waterin hole" feel

5. More challenging extreme slides due to broken fiberglass, downed trees and missing sections

As a bonus you may run into a man named Yuri who camps out and helps guest from time to time :)

I would choose River Country. It's:

1. Cheaper

2. Less crowded

3. Closer to the fort

4. More of the "old waterin hole" feel

5. More challenging extreme slides due to broken fiberglass, downed trees and missing sections

As a bonus you may run into a man named Yuri who camps out and helps guest from time to time :)

That's such an irresponsible recommendation!  What about the panther??

We were told by a CM if they don't reopen, because of lightening. They will give us a rain check if we've been there less than 4 hours.

Can you confirm this Lou?

I can't officially confirm, but my source is a BB ticket booth CM and he says that if you've been in the park for less than 3 hours, I've also heard 4 hours, and the park closes due to weather and have been or expect to be closed for at least a half hour, Rain Checks are available.