Disney Technology circa 1995

My 14 year old gave me a Disney mouse pad that she found on eBay.  It was an old but never used one, unopened in the original packaging.  It just so happens that inside the packaging was a catalog of Disney software available in 1995.  It's like a time machine, and shows how much the world has changed in the past 19 years.  

20140623_152000.jpg

20140623_155320.jpg

One of the first things that jumps out at you is the lack of an online purchasing option.  That was just beginning to become an option in 1995, and not surprisingly, Disney wasn't exactly at the forefront of that technology.  But you could call, fax or mail your order in.  

20140623_155440.jpg

But wait!  If you read the fine print of the various ways to contact Disney.  According to the catalog, "if you own a modem and communication software, call the Disney Software BBS at ......"  Remember doing that?  And it gets even better.  It lists the various online services where Disney maintained Email and Support services.  They included AOL, Compuserve, FIDOnet, and......wait, what is that?  Near the bottom of the list is "Internet - [email protected]".  So what is today the typical communication method, and what we consider a "normal" email address, was at the bottom of the list at that time, under services like Compuserve and FIDOnet that have been tossed into the dustbin of history.  This catalog was likely produced in 1994, the same year of this classic exchange on the Today Show.

http://youtu.be/JUs7iG1mNjI

Another thing that takes you back and gives you a chuckle are the system requirements of the software.  It's amazing how much technology has changed.  Our phones have better processing capabilities today than our PC's did in 1995.  

20140623_155255.jpg

Here are some of the other pages, showing the various offerings in 1995.  Some of you may own a few of these!  

20140623_155420.jpg

20140623_155412.jpg

20140623_155403.jpg

20140623_155354.jpg

20140623_155344.jpg

20140623_155334.jpg

It was a pretty fun read for me, so thought I'd share.  

In 1995 I was using Compuserve, having been a long time AOL user, but switched because they provided an internet "portal". There was not a lot on the web, though. The big draw was Usenet groups, which were like BBSs with an unlimited number of connected users. I used to run a BBS myself, even had a dedicated phone line for it, and I knew others who had as many as eight lines (to support 8 users at once!). And of course, internet allowed CS users to send email to AOL users! Gasp! And just a year earlier I met my wife in an AOL chat room.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

It truly is amazing how much things have changed.  I had never seen that Today show clip.  They literally had no idea what the internet was.  I probably didn't either in 1994.

As for the Disney software, we had several of the items in that brochure, which we used to run on our state of the art Gateway 2000 computer.

TCD