Hi, all!

I'm Jeremiah and I'm new to Fort Fiends. I was referred here by Rod Wheaton of WDW Mousenger.

And, I have questions! :)

I've searched through the boards but I can't find the information I'm looking for on camping at FW with tents, no vehicles involved. 

Here's why I'm asking: My friends and I are planning on attending the WDW Marathon weekend in January 2015 but we want to do it on a budget. So, we have decided to go camping and take all of our equipment with us. We live in San Diego, CA and will be flying to Orlando. We plan to pack our tents, sleeping bags and other odds & ends in our checked luggage.

We've previously stayed at the Pop Century (which we really like) and we plan to take advantage of the Dining Plan (which we have used before and works well for us).

We're in our 30's and 40's, we may eventually have 4 or 5 of us all together by the time we go and we don't want to ruffle feathers but we like to be social. We like to have a few adult beverages and can be a bit boisterous... maybe not "child appropriate" at times. Also, we like to stay out late at the parks and don't want to disturb anyone.

FW has so much to offer and we'd like to try canoeing, horseback riding, biking, joining in on campfires and movie nights... But are there any tips for hauling our stuff out there and just plain old camping?

I'm excited to hear from all of you, and even if you can't answer my questions I look forward to getting to know you all!

Jeremiah

Welcome. If you don't want to haul your tents, The Fort has tents for rent. Staying at The Fort is all about being social and enjoying the amenities; however, keep in mind that most of the sites around you will have families with kids so anything "not child appropriate" will have to be kept to a minimum. As long as the boistress-ness is before quiet hours, you should be OK.

Good luck with the races!

PS: here is the link to the tent rental information:

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/rental-information/renting-a-tent-from-disney-r329

Welcome Jeremiah! The question of tent camping and flying has come up here before and there has been a lot of great advice and even a Trip Report. I am on my phone so, adding links is kind of a pain. I will go ahead and bump the threads that may be of interest to you.

Oops sorry looks like Jason borrowed a tent from Carol when he flew in for the 5K.

Welcome Jeremiah!  :wave1:

Not sure if it would work for you, but another budget-friendly option might be renting a pop-up.  There are companies that will come in and setup/take down for you.  Campers come well stocked and you generally just have to worry about your clothes and food.

If you decide to check out that option, one of our site sponsors comes highly recommended by many Fiends for popup rentals - Fort Camper Rental.  You can find his contact info on our sponsor page...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/misc/support-our-site-sponsors-r259

Great ideas, guys! Yvonne, thanks for the threads. I'll look them over in the morning. Judy, no worries. It's mostly boisterous and a language problem... :) but we can behave ourselves. (I'll make sure to ask for an empty loop, too). Kelly, we have been wondering about groceries. I have the 3 Publix markets in my phone book. LOL. I'll look at wegoshop.com, too.

I have tent camped and flown a few times. Works great!  I didn't worry about food or cooking though. I ate out mostly.

If you are flying Southwest, it's super easy cause they allow you to have two checked bags each, then a carryon and personal item.

I had a locking plastic footlocker that held my tent and a small dining fly, then a huge duffle bag that held my folding chair, linens, air mattress, air mattress pump, some clothing, stake mallet, extension cords, power strip, toiletries.

Had a small rollerboard with clothing and electronics/chargers , then a bookbag that doubled as my shower bag.

One I unpacked and set up, the footlocker was in my tent and acted as a night stand, and I was able to lock it up while away.

Disney's Magical Express will deliver your stuff to you at the campsite.

As someone suggested wegoshop will deliver the necessities (including alcoholic beverages).

I might also suggest renting a popup, especially if you are not flying southwest. The baggage check fees might pay for the split cost of a popup if there are 4 or 5 of you. The popup is delivered and set up for you with EVERYTHING you need, except your personal clothing and toiletries.  They will also pick up a few things for you for a nominal fee. (No alcohol though).

Check out www.fortcamperrental.com

FunFinder265: I used Pop Century the last few times I did the Marathon Weekend and it was kinda quiet but I guess it's worth a try. Although, I'm not mad if it's packed & busy. :)
mouseketab (Carol): I'm not sure my friends will go for the pop-up. I'll ask them once I have some numbers, though. I adore the Magical Express and to know they will actually take our stuff to the campsite is even more exciting. We've used it before but we pack light so we've always had carry-ons only. And, we like using SouthWest because we can check 2 bags up to 50 lbs each without any extra charges. And, we're planning to get a dining plan (which always kept us full and we only bought 1 or 2 meals the whole week). 

Thanks for all the info, guys. Keep it coming! I love options and you all are so friendly here!

FunFinder265: I used Pop Century the last few times I did the Marathon Weekend and it was kinda quiet but I guess it's worth a try. Although, I'm not mad if it's packed & busy. :)

mouseketab (Carol): I'm not sure my friends will go for the pop-up. I'll ask them once I have some numbers, though. I adore the Magical Express and to know they will actually take our stuff to the campsite is even more exciting. We've used it before but we pack light so we've always had carry-ons only. And, we like using SouthWest because we can check 2 bags up to 50 lbs each without any extra charges. And, we're planning to get a dining plan (which always kept us full and we only bought 1 or 2 meals the whole week). 

Thanks for all the info, guys. Keep it coming! I love options and you all are so friendly here!

Since you use Southwest, and you have the camping stuff, then flying and camping should work!!

Welcome-

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that it can get pretty darn cold in Florida in January.  Make sure you bring some electric blankets, and a space heater, if possible.

As far as being boisterous and not child appropriate,  have all the fun you want at your campsite, but be considerate of your neighbors.  If you're out late at the parks, chances are your camping neighbors will all have turned in when you get back.  That's not the time to crank the music, start a roaring campfire, and have loud arguments.  Which is something that happens more often than it should at the Fort.  If you act up too much, you may have to face one of the Rangers, who may try to chase you down and whack you with his cane.

TCD

Regarding the cold nights - one thing that I discovered recently in scouts are the hand warmer pouches you can get at the bargain stores. They look sort of like tea bags, but generate heat for up to 6 hours when exposed to air. We use them for winter backpacking trips to warm up sleeping bags before climbing in. A lot less to pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that it can get pretty darn cold in Florida in January.  Make sure you bring some electric blankets, and a space heater, if possible.

As far as being boisterous and not child appropriate,  have all the fun you want at your campsite, but be considerate of your neighbors... .

This will be our 3rd trip for the January 1/2 Marathon. The first year we froze our fannies off. The second year it was perfect weather.

I was told the really cold years are rare but to prepare for them. An electric blanket is an excellent idea.

Also, if we come back from the parks late it's because we're ready to hit the sack. We tend to be respectful since we've been on the other side of the "I'm trying to sleep" scenario. The evenings where we'd stay at the site and chill would most likely be kept to one or two. We don't like to offend people.

• 1 month later...

Hey, all!

Thanks for all the help. I have booked my trip and I'm really excited.

However... I am sad to say that my friends who "really want to camp" have failed me.

One panicked when she heard the price (and it was CHEAP!). The other decided that since it "might get cold" we should just get a hotel.

I am hell-bent on camping at Fort Wilderness and I know I will find a time to do it. Just not this January.

Thank you all for your input. I have all your wonderful references saved and I'll be using them in the future!