It Does Exist....or Momof3Kids and Family going camping on the Mountain for the 4th

My youngest and I have attended quite a few GGs over the past few years.  For these we have always stayed in a tent that fellow FF member MLM5 has let us borrow.  One reason for this has been it is usually only Jess and I who are able to go.  Another reason is that our travel trailer has needed some work done. Things like new tires and axle greasing.My DH refused to take it out until that was done.  So, I started researching what needed to be done.  He didn't feel confident enough to do the work himself.  So, I researched some more and as luck would have it came upon a local rv repair shop.  They towed the camper to their shop, did all the work needed and then towed it back to our storage unit.  Now DH had no more excuses.  We were going to use this camper again if I had any say in the matter.

Seeing as we had not had the camper out in almost 3 years I felt we really should go somewhere nearby.  Of course being that it was going to be July 4th and we hadn't claimed a site at Point Mallard Campground in Decatur before May began that meant Monte Sano State Park.  We have been here one other time.  

So on Tuesday, July 1st my son and I went up there to stake a tent down on a spot.  Well the thing is we wanted a full hook up site.  You have to have your camping rig with you when you get that site.  Since Steve was working he would need to bring it back up later that night.  I checked with the people at the office and they were not expecting many new campers that day.  Drew and I left the campground then I went home to get the truck to take it in for an oil change.  Also noticed it was low on gas and went ahead and filled it up.  That evening Steve and Drew went to get the camper and took it up to the campground.  My 13 year old and I went up to meet them to help them set up.  We left the camper there and I went back the next day to take inventory of what was in the camper.  I had been taking things out of it here and there over the last few years.  

Here it is. Proof that we do in fact own a travel trailer.  

10487264_10202744629670834_6495862497102

1619094_10202744629390827_30435694645591Our site 

10441486_10202744628950816_1861204147273

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love local camping. And long distance camping. And tent camping. And hammock camping. I like all camping! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patience is a virtue Catch it if you can Seldom found in woman Never found in man   Nancy Phillips taught me that at girl scout camp

Am I first?

Yes you are.  Now go sit on your hands so as to not take over page 1.

Nice!

Thank you!

Cool! Can't wait to read more!

More coming up.

In!

Glad to have you.

Excited to hear about the trip!!  The trailer looks nice :)

I am excited to be able to share the trip.  Of course my family kept saying,"Why are you taking so many pictures?"  They obviously have not read the Fort Fiend handbook.

I am excited to be able to share the trip.  Of course my family kept saying,"Why are you taking so many pictures?"  They obviously have not read the Fort Fiend handbook.

Oh gosh, I know....my husband kept asking me, why I was taking pictures of food   :))  

We are now at July 3rd.  I gathered what I had taken out of the camper from my garage and my house and put that and the coolers into the back of my van.  The girls and I headed over early evening.  Our friendly neighbors saw me trying to set up the canopy and came over to help out.  They came over again when DH was trying to remember how to put out the awning.  Remember it had been awhile since we had used it.  DH came by a bit later to drop off the electric smoker and start the smoking process for the pork.  He was not going to stay the night though.  He actually still had some work to get done.  He finished setting some things up and I did the first of many Walmart runs.  While I was out I also stopped to pick up dinner for the girls and me.  Before Steve left for the night he got a fire started

HJltYSd.jpg

and showed me what I would need to do to the smoker to make sure the meat cooked properly.

A quick messy view of the inside of our camper.

YNsV1J0.jpg

JRoyi74.jpg

Camping local can be nice, cause you don't have to "remember" everything!!  A great spot for your "reshakedown"

Like I said there were many runs to Walmart that weekend.  Ok so some of those trips may have been volunteered by me to allow me time to check in on FF.Net.  There was no WiFi at the campground and the data service was pretty much non existent.  I was able to connect once when I was there. 

Like I said there were many runs to Walmart that weekend.  Ok so some of those trips may have been volunteered by me to allow me time to check in on FF.Net.  There was no WiFi at the campground and the data service was pretty much non existent.  I was able to connect once when I was there. 

Yep, had the same problem when I went up there, but my Verizon MiFi did work a little bit, T-Mobile, useless

Camping local can be nice, cause you don't have to "remember" everything!!  A great spot for your "reshakedown"

We did a local camping trip last weekend, too. It was nice to be able to run home to pick up the mail, feed the cat and take a nice shower without worrying about the folks waiting their turn. :)

Hey, Dave. Got a question for you

You forgot to ask him your question.

Your trailer looks really roomy!

It is. Of course it seemed much roomier when the kids were little.  We often think about getting something bigger.  Steve would really like a larger slide out and more of them.  The one we have is only about a foot deep.  Of course that would mean we would need a bigger truck.  My thought is we upgrade the truck first then worry about the camper. 

Well since you posted another update I feel I have a right to another post myself.  

Your trailer looks very nice.  I'm surprised it wasn't upset with you or abandoning it for 2 years.  But it seems to have handled it in stride.  

Thank you. I was really glad that we didn't have any problems.  Steve actually seems ready to start taking it out again.  We looked at taking it up to Point Mallard when we left Monte Sano, but didn't want to pay the weekly rate.  I think we are going to check Thursday to see which sites are open and take it up then.  We might decide to leave it for the following weekend and spend some time there next week.

Love local camping. And long distance camping. And tent camping. And hammock camping. I like all camping! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The farthest we have gone for long distance camping is Gatlinburg.  My hope is to get him to agree to take it to Fort Wilderness sometime.

I added more wood chips to the smoker and then the girls and I settled in for the night.  The next morning I got up around 7am and added some more chips to the smoker.  Then around 9 I checked on our handy dandy little remote to see if it was ready. Steve if the temperature was somewhere between 190-195 degrees it was time to take it out of the smoker and wrap it up in foil.

IytEJZF.jpg

For Father's Day I had bought Steve some meat rakes, a cookbook of rubs and sauces and some gloves to use for getting food out of the smoker and off the grill.

n28s5K9.jpg

The pork before I wrapped it up in foil and put it back in the smoker to stay warm.  

bBKsn6i.jpg

Once that was done I grabbed myself a cup of coffee and relaxed.

PhoarWV.jpg

Here are some pictures of our set up.  It was dark when we finished setting up the day before.

jBuofvS.jpg

V0M9q6q.jpg

We have lots of wood from the trees that fell down in our neighborhood during the 2011 tornadoes.  We brought some with us.

ltnLvp6.jpg

The Fort Fiends signs went up.  

qfSfRbC.jpg

I made another Walmart run and when I got back Steve wasn't there yet so, the girls and I hung out some more.  They decide to paint their nails.

CFLNIR2.jpg

Q6dW3Yh.jpg

Before too long Steve arrived back and I had him help me get the decorations up that were going to be to high for me to reach.  

Of course he had to mess around before hanging them up.

yGbqtby.jpg

He finally got that done and got the Flag and hammock put up.

ESDaXGO.jpg

Some testing out of the hammock by Jessica followed.

sdZZJOR.jpg

Hng3jgC.jpg

Steve had to let his shorts "air out"

OFwpo88.jpg

He says it was from the smoke of the fire last night.  The girls weren't buying it.  :rofl2:  :rofl3:

Our lights

50cHPnN.jpg

G7HXfAn.jpg

Before long I am pretty sure it was 5:00 somewhere.

d752Inp.jpg

tUtoXFr.jpg

At least you got a real camp site.  We camped in our yard.  LOL

That looks like a nice sized trailer.

We used to camp in the yard with our tent when the kids were smaller.  I brought the idea up recently and they said no.  

I'm in!  Camper looks great!

Thanks!  I can't wait to really start using it again.