I have had Trails End lunch many times and really like it. The problem is its only lunch. And for the amount of food me and my family eat a buffet is a total waste of money. If breakfest and dinner were off the menu and not buffet it would be great.

I've never eaten the dinner buffet either for that reason. We just get a GAG. 

We often eat the breakfast buffet on our last day, and it acts as breakfast and lunch. That makes it worth it. 

I've never eaten the dinner buffet either for that reason. We just get a GAG. 

We often eat the breakfast buffet on our last day, and it acts as breakfast and lunch. That makes it worth it.

We use to do the dinner buffet every trip at least once before we had ou kid. But paying $25 to $35 dollars to watch my little girl eat a spoon ful of Mac and cheese and half a donut just seems crazy. So for now we stick to places where there is a menu. We use to do the breakfast lunch alot at chief mickeys get there 10:30 to 11:00.

We were the opposite when the kids were younger. I had two bottomless pits with hollow legs. So buffets were the way to go!!!  Also, our first trip, the "kids" age was 11 for meals, so they emptied the place out at the kid price!

Also, there was one trip where we brought family along that we affectionately referred to as the "Klumps". Buffets were the "only" way to go.

Now, I like buffets to try lots of different flavors. I might only get a bite of each, but I don't have to settle on just one entree :)

Wish the fort had that kind of selection

I think the Fort has a better selection.... 2 all-you-can-eat dinner shows with alcohol included, a buffet, takeout, a TS lunch, bar with food, and CS at the Pool (Capt Cook's is the Poly's only food option near the pool.)

And if you think that looks good, you need to try Trails End lunch. It's awesome. 

I love the Fort as much as anyone here, but I can't see how you can say the Fort has better food selections.

The Fort has terrible quick service food options.  All you can get at the Meadow Snack Bar is premade crap they heat up- hot dogs or flatbreads.  That new menu at Captain Cooks provides way more options.

TCD

I love the Fort as much as anyone here, but I can't see how you can say the Fort has better food selections.

The Fort has terrible quick service food options.  All you can get at the Meadow Snack Bar is premade crap they heat up- hot dogs or flatbreads.  That new menu at Captain Cooks provides way more options.

TCD

That's what I thought.

TCD

That's what I thought.

For just CS/QS, you are right, but I guess I look at the Fort as a whole. The overall food options are better to me. I love having the takeout option that reasonably priced. I love having both the Backyard BBQ and HDDR. The breakfast buffet doesn't have characters, but the food is better than most... REAL BACON. And the lunch options are also reasonable by Disney standards. One problem with the Poly is that there are NO food options by the pool. You have to go inside to Capt Cooks. 

The Poly does also have good options though... my second favorite for sure. Kona is underrated, and `Ohana is yummy. Capt Cooks is dead to me.   :'(

For just CS/QS, you are right, but I guess I look at the Fort as a whole. The overall food options are better to me. I love having the takeout option that reasonably priced. I love having both the Backyard BBQ and HDDR. The breakfast buffet doesn't have characters, but the food is better than most... REAL BACON. And the lunch options are also reasonable by Disney standards. One problem with the Poly is that there are NO food options by the pool. You have to go inside to Capt Cooks. 

The Poly does also have good options though... my second favorite for sure. Kona is underrated, and `Ohana is yummy. Capt Cooks is dead to me.   :'(

I can see your point.

When you put it this way, then I agree with you- I'd never trade Trail's End take-out for Captain Cook's.

I said Captain Cook's was dead to me, but I took the twins there for lunch on Monday- it was fine.  I miss the Dole Whip machine, and Twin #2 really misses that noodle dish she loved, but we tried the udon, both beef and shrimp, and it was very good.  There are several other things on the menu that we want to try, so we are going to be back there some time.  But, my goodness, what a mess the resort is now! There can't be many guests staying there- the parking lot was only half full, and there were maybe a dozen guests in the restaurant when we were there at peak lunch time.

TCD

When you put it this way, then I agree with you- I'd never trade Trail's End take-out for Captain Cook's.

I said Captain Cook's was dead to me, but I took the twins there for lunch on Monday- it was fine.  I miss the Dole Whip machine, and Twin #2 really misses that noodle dish she loved, but we tried the udon, both beef and shrimp, and it was very good.  There are several other things on the menu that we want to try, so we are going to be back there some time.  But, my goodness, what a mess the resort is now! There can't be many guests staying there- the parking lot was only half full, and there were maybe a dozen guests in the restaurant when we were there at peak lunch time.

TCD

That's interesting about it being pretty empty.  I had heard they had good deals on rooms right now because of construction but when I checked they were still full price.

I guess they'd rather have it empty than deal with guests complaining???

WBI

That's interesting about it being pretty empty.  I had heard they had good deals on rooms right now because of construction but when I checked they were still full price.

I guess they'd rather have it empty than deal with guests complaining???

WBI

I have some photos I'm going to post in my ongoing TR, but as I said- the resort is a mess.  As you enter, the entire center part of the lobby is completely enclosed by a solid wall.  You can only turn right- the small seating area and the counter where they would distribute leas to the left is walled off as well.  It's ugly!  To get to Captain Cooks, you have to walk all the way around the perimeter of that wall.  Out back, they have another wall which completely walls off the pool area.

I thought they might be discounting the rooms too, and asked Twin #2 to see if she could get us a deal on a room there.  She could get us a deal, but the discount was off the normal rack rate- which is not a deal considering what a mess things are now.

To me, it seems like they have chosen to bite the bullet and try to get all the big stuff done at once.  I think you're right- they are discouraging guests from staying there by not discounting the rates.

TCD

TCD

You need to use Twin #2's CM discount and take her to Kona Cafe, so she can get the chicken and noodles. Unless they've taken it off the menu there too....

You need to use Twin #2's CM discount and take her to Kona Cafe, so she can get the chicken and noodles. Unless they've taken it off the menu there too....

She ordered those noodles once when we were at the Sushi Bar.  She liked them, but thought they were a little bit different, and not quite as good, as the dish from Captain Cook's.

But, you're right- I really haven't taken full advantage of those dining discounts.  There are several places where she can get 40% off!

TCD