So, just a general question for anyone out there in Fiendom who is like me and doesn't get around to making Christmas reservations until everything is all booked up...

Ya'll ever had luck picking up a reservation at the last minute during late December? I know there is a 5 day cancellation policy, so I'm hoping some poor sap will decide not to go at the last minute and I will get crazy lucky.

The dilemma (first world problem, I know) - - - do I book a house off site or just hope against hope that I can get in at the Fort???????

Or as previously stated...should I just stay home and we can take turns pushing each other down the stairs on cardboard and call it splash mountain????

If you want to got to WDW during the holidays and don't have your Fort reservation yet, you had better have a back-up plan.

I have had good luck snagging last minute reservations at the Fort utilizing the services of a good travel agent. For whatever reason, Disney blocks certain holiday days off, and nobody can get reservations for those nights.  Then, at some random time prior to the holiday, the blocks come off, and travel agents are usually the first to hear of this.

If you really want a Fort reservation, contact Jason, here on ff.net: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/user/2851-katman1356jason/

Otherwise, start saving those boxes.

TCD

I've had luck in the past getting last min. reservations at Christmas when people cancel in that window you mentioned.  But that was when I lived 3 hours away, and could go with a day's notice.  And, I was home all day and could stay on hold with Disney for hours on end trying to get in.  Now, I've wised up and book the following year as soon as it can be reserved.

Are you camping or trying to get a cabin?  You could also try to get in at one of the campgrounds in the Orlando/Tampa area, then cancel it if you get in at the Fort.

X2 the recommendation of Jason.  He handled our summer trip and took care of everything!  Smooth and simple, less hassle on my end!  Winning!

I've had luck in the past getting last min. reservations at Christmas when people cancel in that window you mentioned.  But that was when I lived 3 hours away, and could go with a day's notice.  And, I was home all day and could stay on hold with Disney for hours on end trying to get in.  Now, I've wised up and book the following year as soon as it can be reserved.

Are you camping or trying to get a cabin?  You could also try to get in at one of the campgrounds in the Orlando/Tampa area, then cancel it if you get in at the Fort.

X2 the recommendation of Jason.  He handled our summer trip and took care of everything!  Smooth and simple, less hassle on my end!  Winning!

The part I bolded in your quote is why I use a travel agent.

Calling Disney for a reservation is usually an unpleasant and frustrating thing to have to do.  Let the travel agent do it for you.  Disney pays them.  You get the same exact price, or less, because an independent travel agent will look to see if you can get a discount.  It's free for you!  So, why would anyone want to call and wait on hold for hours on end while some flunky in a New Jersey call center takes hours to look up things on a remote computer?

TCD

That's what I'm doing, except it's a one story house.

:rofl2:  Try the roof perhaps? That's my back-up plan. The turn 45-degree turn on the staircase is tricky. And the baby pool at the base of the stairs makes a big mess.

If you want to got to WDW during the holidays and don't have your Fort reservation yet, you had better have a back-up plan.

I have had good luck snagging last minute reservations at the Fort utilizing the services of a good travel agent. For whatever reason, Disney blocks certain holiday days off, and nobody can get reservations for those nights.  Then, at some random time prior to the holiday, the blocks come off, and travel agents are usually the first to hear of this.

If you really want a Fort reservation, contact Jason, here on ff.net: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/user/2851-katman1356jason/

TCD

Might try the travel agent thing...i've used a AAA agent in the past, but it seems like discounts are coming few and far between. :banghead:

We would be coming in an RV. I'll have to check the cancellation window of the other resorts near by. TBH, I have not convinces Hubs that this is a good idea. We are going for a week in November, so i'm not sure he is really going to go for another trip so soon - - - and if we do, it'll have to be done on the cheap...which really let's out the FORT anyway. The catch-22? Will be WAY easier to convince him that this is a good idea IF we are staying at the Fort. He's not a fan of "staying off site".

:rofl2:  Try the roof perhaps? That's my back-up plan. The turn 45-degree turn on the staircase is tricky. And the baby pool at the base of the stairs makes a big mess.

Might try the travel agent thing...i've used a AAA agent in the past, but it seems like discounts are coming few and far between. :banghead:

We would be coming in an RV. I'll have to check the cancellation window of the other resorts near by. TBH, I have not convinces Hubs that this is a good idea. We are going for a week in November, so i'm not sure he is really going to go for another trip so soon - - - and if we do, it'll have to be done on the cheap...which really let's out the FORT anyway. The catch-22? Will be WAY easier to convince him that this is a good idea IF we are staying at the Fort. He's not a fan of "staying off site".

Class A?  Or towable?  If it's not a class A, you could leave it in FL.  We did both Thanksgiving and Christmas last year.  We are in PA, so it made no sense to bring it back up here.  Put it in storage near the Fort (which I found thanks to fellow fiend Curt!) after the Nov. visit, got it back out for the Christmas trip.  We actually ended up leaving it down there after that too!  Worked out very well.  The storage place is very reasonable and secure.  Given the price of fuel, there wasn't much added expense to do this.

Jason got me the AAA rate, even when I changed my dates.  Of course, i was going during the "off-season".  I am not even sure Disney offers a AAA rate during Christmas.

TCD

Thanks for the plug TCD. I am always happy to try to help a Fiend to get the reservations they want. 

Class A? Or towable? If it's not a class A, you could leave it in FL. We did both Thanksgiving and Christmas last year. We are in PA, so it made no sense to bring it back up here. Put it in storage near the Fort (which I found thanks to fellow fiend Curt!) after the Nov. visit, got it back out for the Christmas trip. We actually ended up leaving it down there after that too! Worked out very well. The storage place is very reasonable and secure. Given the price of fuel, there wasn't much added expense to do this.

Cool idea! We get poop gas mileage when we are towing the 5th wheel...as in maybe 10 miles to the gallon. We get 16-17 with out the tow. If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to store? If you do mind me asking, just ignore the question completely! Hahahahaha! (Insert laughing emoji here...I can't do it on my phone.)

Got it!

Cool idea! We get poop gas mileage when we are towing the 5th wheel...as in maybe 10 miles to the gallon. We get 16-17 with out the tow. If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to store? If you do mind me asking, just ignore the question completely! :rofl2:

Cool idea! We get poop gas mileage when we are towing the 5th wheel...as in maybe 10 miles to the gallon. We get 16-17 with out the tow. If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to store? If you do mind me asking, just ignore the question completely! Hahahahaha! (Insert laughing emoji here...I can't do it on my phone.)

Not at all!  I think it was 65 a month for our 34' TT.  First Security Self Storage in Davenport, FL.  Month to month, gated.  Curt from Fort Camper Rental keeps his pop ups there and that is how I found out about it.  Very convenient off of I-4.

Not at all!  I think it was 65 a month for our 34' TT.  First Security Self Storage in Davenport, FL.  Month to month, gated.  Curt from Fort Camper Rental keeps his pop ups there and that is how I found out about it.  Very convenient off of I-4.

Thank you so much! This helps a lot in my continuing effort to convice hubs that trip is a great idea.  Since I am a freakish vacation budgeter, I can now add this all to a speardsheet and give him a bottom line.

We have a daughter also waiting for a reservation in late December.  It is planned to be her first big trip in the MH she bought from us last summer.  We have a TA working on it, but so far with no results.

Good luck to them, too! Perhaps we will all have good results!